U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:59 AM

35 posts, read 15,558 times

Advertisements

I want to fly from ATL to BOS and rent a car for 5 days to go up into NH. The first attempt was the supposed bundle and save package by expedia. They didn't even pretend to save you any money on flights or car rental. From there I tried rentalcars.com who at Google said cars from $6/day. Going to their site there was nothing for $6 but there were supposed options for twice that price at $12/day, BUT!!!, the lowest total price for 5 days was $118. My calculator says 12 X 5 is $60, so their best price is over twice what they say. So I tried expedia for just rental cars and they list cars for $12/day and the 5 day cost is around $60:

https://tinyurl.com/yd3fo3zr

BUT!!! looking at the details that have check marks by them some of the text and check marks are green and some of the text and check marks are black. Is that a way of tricking us into thinking they have Unlimited mileage and then they charge us for mileage when we return the vehicle? Or...??? Can anyone suggest the most economical way to rent a small car (it's just me with 2 bags) for 5 days (Feb 10-14) to drive from BOS up into NH and back to BOS?

Thank you for any help!
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 1,822,487 times
The black marks are info about the car. The green check marks are Expedia features.

What you are seeing are the airport taxes and fees on rental cars. I usually use Hotwire for rental cars and tried one at Logan for kicks - $14.34 a day for a midsize, 5 days for a total of $71.68, add taxes of $83.32 and the total is $155.

The taxes and fees are:

Convention Center Charge - $10 per rental
License Recovery Fee - $2 per day
Parking Surcharge - $.06 per rental
Facility Fee - $6.00 per day
Concession Recovery Fee - $11.11%
Sales Tax - 6.25%

You could try and get to an off airport site to rent a car but it adds time and cost to your trip. IMHO, the $155 I found for a 5 day rental is a bargain.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,354,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrisPA View Post
I want to fly from ATL to BOS and rent a car for 5 days to go up into NH. The first attempt was the supposed bundle and save package by expedia. They didn't even pretend to save you any money on flights or car rental. From there I tried rentalcars.com who at Google said cars from $6/day. Going to their site there was nothing for $6 but there were supposed options for twice that price at $12/day, BUT!!!, the lowest total price for 5 days was $118. My calculator says 12 X 5 is $60, so their best price is over twice what they say. So I tried expedia for just rental cars and they list cars for $12/day and the 5 day cost is around $60:

https://tinyurl.com/yd3fo3zr

BUT!!! looking at the details that have check marks by them some of the text and check marks are green and some of the text and check marks are black. Is that a way of tricking us into thinking they have Unlimited mileage and then they charge us for mileage when we return the vehicle? Or...??? Can anyone suggest the most economical way to rent a small car (it's just me with 2 bags) for 5 days (Feb 10-14) to drive from BOS up into NH and back to BOS?

Thank you for any help!
David
I think you need to reset what you consider a reasonable price. You can't rent a bike for $6 a day. In many places you can't even rent a bike for $6 an hour. You shouldn't expect to get unlimited mileage in a rental car for that price. The federal mileage rate is about $0.50, so a $6 rental should get you about 12 miles. Even $118 seems like a pretty good deal.

If you want to do a little better, you could try Priceline. You won't get to choose the company, but you'll save a few dollars.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:23 AM

32,733 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

If you want to do a little better, you could try Priceline. You won't get to choose the company, but you'll save a few dollars.

I've found Costco Travel to have the best car rental rates, if you're a member (of course).

Old 01-05-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think you need to reset what you consider a reasonable price. You can't rent a bike for $6 a day. In many places you can't even rent a bike for $6 an hour. You shouldn't expect to get unlimited mileage in a rental car for that price. The federal mileage rate is about $0.50, so a $6 rental should get you about 12 miles. Even $118 seems like a pretty good deal.

You certainly make some good points. I did wonder how they could rent a car for $6/day, or even 12. Now the $118 total does seem like a great deal, so I'm wondering if that's for real. Here's a link to the page at rentalcars.com:

https://tinyurl.com/ybrpknwt

How to tell what all is included, like mileage? I don't see it there, but maybe there's a way to dig in and find it? Also it says Pick up location: Shuttle Bus. How to find the correct shuttle bus?

Thank you people for your help!

Old 01-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrisPA View Post
You certainly make some good points. I did wonder how they could rent a car for $6/day, or even 12. Now the $118 total does seem like a great deal, so I'm wondering if that's for real. Here's a link to the page at rentalcars.com:

https://tinyurl.com/ybrpknwt

How to tell what all is included, like mileage? I don't see it there, but maybe there's a way to dig in and find it? Also it says Pick up location: Shuttle Bus. How to find the correct shuttle bus?

Thank you people for your help!
If you click "select car" it takes you to the next page and over on the left it advises mileage restrictions. I checked Advantage, EZ, and Payless and they all noted "unlimited mileage."

As for "Shuttle Bus", all rental car counters and vehicles are located off site and you have to catch one of the blue and white Massport buses to the rental car center.

I'd consider Hotwire instead of the site you showed. I've used them for inexpensive rental cars for years and have always had great success with them. I have an upcoming full size rental in Orlando for 3 days for under $100 - $45 for the car, $55 in taxes.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If you click "select car" it takes you to the next page and over on the left it advises mileage restrictions. I checked Advantage, EZ, and Payless and they all noted "unlimited mileage."

As for "Shuttle Bus", all rental car counters and vehicles are located off site and you have to catch one of the blue and white Massport buses to the rental car center.

I'd consider Hotwire instead of the site you showed. I've used them for inexpensive rental cars for years and have always had great success with them. I have an upcoming full size rental in Orlando for 3 days for under $100 - $45 for the car, $55 in taxes.
Thank you for the information! I went ahead and rented one for $116.86 + $55 for collision insurance. Since I only have liability for my own vehicles, isn't that the way to go? I was going to check Hotwire but when I saw it was that price for unlimited mileage, and checking EZ policy and rules they said we can drive into Canada which is farther than I will go, it just seemed good to get it over with before the price went up or availability went down or something like that.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 PM

1,925 posts, read 1,071,445 times
Make sure you check up on the tolling with the rental car company. You can't use cash getting out of Boston. However you can take back roads over to route 1 to avoid the Boston toll, plus NH has cash toll booths still so you should be fine.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Make sure you check up on the tolling with the rental car company. You can't use cash getting out of Boston. However you can take back roads over to route 1 to avoid the Boston toll, plus NH has cash toll booths still so you should be fine.
X2. If you have an EZ Pass, bring it and add the rental car onto it. If not, use Waze and select "avoid tolls" so you are routed from the airport to Rt. 1 to get to NH.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
X2. If you have an EZ Pass, bring it and add the rental car onto it. If not, use Waze and select "avoid tolls" so you are routed from the airport to Rt. 1 to get to NH.
Oooh, thank you folks for that. I called the rental place today and they said it will be an extra $13/day added on to a $12/day car rental to rent the transponder!!! When I asked the girl if it didn't seem a bit much to more than double the rental price because of the transponder she said she didn't think so. Might it be cheaper to buy an EZ Pass here in GA and bring it, and then add the car somehow when I get there? Or to just get to Rt. 1 avoiding Mass tolls, and then pay cash in NH? But aren't cash booths like twice the price of non-cash booths, so maybe...I still don't know how to think about it yet. Toll booths are another thing that make it a different world up there. A couple of other things to consider though: in another forum someone suggested the fines will be whatever they happen to be per toll booth I believe. Talking to her she said if I don't get the transponder mumble mumble $75 fine mumble mumble mumble. When I asked her to repeat it was the same thing again. So is it possible they would charge a $75 fine for every toll booth you go through without the rented transponder? Is it really that extreme?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston