U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,144 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking at properties in this area and I was wondering how safe the area currently is. I did some research, and according to a post here a few years ago, the area was pretty unsafe with most people suggesting not moving here.

Have things changed at all through the years? Looking for any type of feedback or insight from people who are familiar with the area.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 AM
 
1,088 posts, read 437,134 times
Reputation: 1329
Not very.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
10,926 posts, read 7,725,114 times
Reputation: 5299
The city crime rate is dropping between 5 and 10% per year but this area still has a ways to go before I could recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,144 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The city crime rate is dropping between 5 and 10% per year but this area still has a ways to go before I could recommend it.
The Kingsdale St area actually looks quite nice though. The area itself looks like its own neighborhood within Dorchester. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but it does exude a safer feeling to it...thoughts on this?

Also, do you know if there are pockets in the Dorchester area that are considered safer than other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 PM
 
606 posts, read 386,142 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminclarke1542 View Post
The Kingsdale St area actually looks quite nice though. The area itself looks like its own neighborhood within Dorchester. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but it does exude a safer feeling to it...thoughts on this?

Also, do you know if there are pockets in the Dorchester area that are considered safer than other areas?
The JFK/UMass area is pretty good. You can probably go by the housing price averages too, they are a pretty good indicator of desirability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,144 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
The JFK/UMass area is pretty good. You can probably go by the housing price averages too, they are a pretty good indicator of desirability.
What price range do you feel indicates a good level of desirability/safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,129 posts, read 859,639 times
Reputation: 1186
Kingsdale street is in one of the more dangerous areas of Dorchester and not a place people really choose to live. it may never gentrify to be totally honest. Improve yes it's been improving for 20 years...but gentrify? It'd. take another 20, and maybe even more time to be desirable to the public in general. I can tell you right now there are at least two gangs in that area. Talbot Ave Grizzlies and Franklin Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 05:26 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,144 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Kingsdale street is in one of the more dangerous areas of Dorchester and not a place people really choose to live. it may never gentrify to be totally honest. Improve yes it's been improving for 20 years...but gentrify? It'd. take another 20, and maybe even more time to be desirable to the public in general. I can tell you right now there are at least two gangs in that area. Talbot Ave Grizzlies and Franklin Field.
Thanks for the fantastic insight! I've been looking around some more and a place near Blue Jay Circle/Olmstead Green caught my eye.

Do you/anyone else have any insight as to how the community is around that area? How safe is it? Anything that I should definitely know about that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,129 posts, read 859,639 times
Reputation: 1186
^Much safer area. Olmsted Green seems to be undergoing perpetual construction at the clip of a snail. The landscaping is kind fo nonexistent. But if you don't have a car there is a bus stop on Morton Street that will get you to Forest Hills in 10 minutes. When you leave Olmsted Green the social cohesion of the neighborhood is low, and Harvard Ave, in particular, is a danger area. What your age occupation and intent with the property (investment/live in/vs.immediate rental).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,144 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
^Much safer area. Olmsted Green seems to be undergoing perpetual construction at the clip of a snail. The landscaping is kind fo nonexistent. But if you don't have a car there is a bus stop on Morton Street that will get you to Forest Hills in 10 minutes. When you leave Olmsted Green the social cohesion of the neighborhood is low, and Harvard Ave, in particular, is a danger area. What your age occupation and intent with the property (investment/live in/vs.immediate rental).
Ah, thanks for the heads up about Harvard Ave!

As for me, mid 20s looking to live in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top