U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think the better option would be to go rt one north to 95 north, then take 16 to the mountains.
16 is a toll road (Spaulding TPK).

Honestly, there's no really direct way to do it without paying some tolls. It's $1 on 93 in Hookset which you could avoid if you really wanted to. Here's how - Take 93 North out of Boston to exit 9N in Manchester (Route 3). Follow Route 3 North to Penacook NH and get back on 93 North, through Franconia Notch, to Route 3 (again), over to 2 East which will take you right into Gorham. It's roundabout to save $1, but it'll work. It's easier than any option off of I-95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Yah but 95 and 16 have cash tolling. What the OP is trying to avoid is cashless tolling. The issue with the OP is dealing with the rental car company and cashless tolling, not going through cash lanes.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
Quote:
Yah but 95 and 16 have cash tolling. What the OP is trying to avoid is cashless tolling. The issue with the OP is dealing with the rental car company and cashless tolling, not going through cash lanes.

Yup. All the OP really needs to do is just avoid taking a wrong turn leaving the airport and ending up on the pike, or in one of the tunnels. Shouldn't be hard to do as the airport really just dumps you out onto 1A north headed towards Revere. At that point just head straight to rt 60 and you should be on your way.

As to quickest route after that, I'd just default to Waze (once away from the city) and let it pick for me based on present traffic conditions. Either way, he has cash booth options once he gets out of Boston itself.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
This is true. The only thing I would point out is that the cash lanes also accept EZPass. So if the car comes with a transponder (and most do), the OP should take care to make sure it's not in a position to double charge him. Rental companies charge a fee (on top of the toll) for use of the transponders and it can be $50 or more sometimes depending on the options selected at pick up. I learned this the hard way.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is true. The only thing I would point out is that the cash lanes also accept EZPass. So if the car comes with a transponder (and most do), the OP should take care to make sure it's not in a position to double charge him. Rental companies charge a fee (on top of the toll) for use of the transponders and it can be $50 or more sometimes depending on the options selected at pick up. I learned this the hard way.
Really these companies are offering the rental at below cost. 12 bucks a day for unlimited mileage is unreasonably low. They expect to make money off of something like tolling.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 PM

35 posts, read 15,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Then just to add, take Rt1 north to I-95 south. Follow that down about 8-10 miles or do and pick up I-93 north. Then just drive north for 2 hours or so.

There's a toll in Hooksett on I-93 that's $1. But I think NH still has cash booths you can go through.
But I thought if you take Rt1 north you have to pay a toll to cross a bridge which is why people suggest 1A

Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
So I need to tell them I don't want the transponder or it will automatically be there being charged $13/day for it?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
It's not as hard as it looks and there are signs all over the place on the street for 1a North. Basically you'll take a left from Jeffries St (where you're dumped out from the rental garage) onto Transportation Way. Follow the signs for the Airport Exit. They're at every intersection. It's a mess on google maps (and slightly less of a mess in person), but tou're essentially going to get looped through the airport by all of the terminals until you you exit the airport just after Terminal C. Here is the sign you'll see. Take Route 1a towards Revere (exit right). There's a piece of that highway that is marked I-90 "Toll Road" on google maps. Ignore it. If you're heading the right direction (1a towards Revere), you're not going to hit a toll. Follow 1a to Route 60 (it turns right into Route 60) which will take you right to Route 1 which seamlessly connect you to 95 North.

Getting all the way to Gorham is going to be LONG if you avoid tolls. You'll take 95 into New Hampshire, but you have to exit before the the Hampton Toll (I think it's the seabrook exit). Route 16 is a toll road for much of the way too. Just use your GPS with the avoid tolls feature active.

As for your other option, If you want to rent somewhere else and avoid tolls and getting out of the airport, take the blue or silver line (which is free) into downtown Boston and rent from a downtown car rental office. They're often cheaper than airports as well. That way you can just take I-93 to I-95 from downtown and not worry about tolls or navigating 1a and 1 util you hit NH. The Tobin Bridge (route 1) I BELIEVE tolls both ways now, so make sure you don't go that way, but 93-95 is easy.
Thank you for the details! And thank all of you for your help!! The photo of the sign will be a big help because just trying to figure it out on the fly with traffic behind me etc I'd probably have gone to the far right which (hopefully) would have taken me back in a circle through the airport again? Then on the second or third try gone for the mid/right for the tunnel/Revere option which hopefully would split on down the road, one way going to the tunnel and Boston and the other going to Revere? Easy if you know how, but not easy until you do.

I'm not trying to go all the way to Gorham without paying tolls. Just trying to get out of Mass without paying tolls.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 AM

117 posts, read 74,477 times
IMO the rental car toll scam is one of the most significant consumer affairs issues in the travel industry. People don’t realize that airlines are the only travel service provider with significant regulations and oversight. Cruises employ flags of convenience model, hoteliers are subject to city ordinances and state lodging laws, and there really isn’t much in the way of regulation for car rental agencies. For whatever reason the resort fee/facility charges that an increasing numbers of hotels are adding to nightly room rates (mandatory ‘bundling’ of items that are traditionally included in your room rate like use of the swimming pool, daily newspaper, bottled water, etc) has gotten some legislative attention but the obscene car rental toll money grabs have not. Then again, there are really three main players (1) privately held Enterprise Holdings; (2) Hertz; and (3) AvisBudget Group hoteliers are far less concentrated.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrisPA View Post
So I need to tell them I don't want the transponder or it will automatically be there being charged $13/day for it?
You shouldnít. Itís usually in a little plastic box near the rear view. To use it, you have to flip it down or pull it out depending on the box. Just make sure itís stowed. The box will shield the transponder and prevent it from being charged. Hereís an example of one: https://www.platepass.com/images/TagShield.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or