Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM

42 posts, read 39,664 times

Advertisements

I don't mind paying the tolls, but want to avoid paying $13/day to rent a transponder for 5 days when I only really need it to get out of Boston and then back into Boston, and for 3 full days wouldn't need it at all. I'm headed to Gorham, NH. People have said to take 1A to Revere, then 1, and go on from there. Look for signs to Revere because 1A splits off. But I'm worried about getting in a jam where I can't back up or turn around and end up having to get on a toll road and then the fines will be $75, at each booth I believe. Looking at the maps I can't see exactly how to get to 1A from EZ Rent-A-Car at the airport. Can anyone explain exactly how to do that? Also does 1A become 60 in Revere and then joins with 1 a little farther on? That's what it looks like.

Another possible option? Can a person take the subway blue line to Revere and then rent a car from there? I don't see what looks like a rental place very close to any of the subway stops, and can't tell how it would be to walk.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 03:37 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
I believe the 75 dollars is what the rental car company charges to process the pay by plate toll. The actual cost of going through the toll without a transponder is only 50 cents higher then normal.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Smear snow on the plate? Freeze the plate in a shallow pan the night before then remount it as a block of ice?

Old 01-17-2018, 06:07 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Do you have a smart phone? If so, use any of the mapping apps and select "Avoid Tolls."

Basically leave the rental car center and head towards Rt 1A. Follow that a couple of miles to Rt 60 West. Follow that a couple of miles to through 2 rotaries to Rt 1 North:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bost...42.4283224!3e0

Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Do you have a smart phone? If so, use any of the mapping apps and select "Avoid Tolls."

Basically leave the rental car center and head towards Rt 1A. Follow that a couple of miles to Rt 60 West. Follow that a couple of miles to through 2 rotaries to Rt 1 North:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bost...42.4283224!3e0
Follow signs towards Revere (to make sure you don't take the tunnel to downtown Boston).

Old 01-17-2018, 07:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Just bring your EZPass transponder from your home state. I'm guessing from your username you live in Pennsylvania. It works no problem.

If you tell me you don't have one then I can't help you because you are clearly clinging to the past. Even my 83 year old father-in-law has an EZPass transponder in his car.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:26 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
You could take the blue line to airport and there area million rental car spots to choose

Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

Then just to add, take Rt1 north to I-95 south. Follow that down about 8-10 miles or do and pick up I-93 north. Then just drive north for 2 hours or so.

There's a toll in Hooksett on I-93 that's $1. But I think NH still has cash booths you can go through.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Then just to add, take Rt1 north to I-95 south. Follow that down about 8-10 miles or do and pick up I-93 north. Then just drive north for 2 hours or so.

There's a toll in Hooksett on I-93 that's $1. But I think NH still has cash booths you can go through.
I think the better option would be to go rt one north to 95 north, then take 16 to the mountains.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrisPA View Post
I don't mind paying the tolls, but want to avoid paying $13/day to rent a transponder for 5 days when I only really need it to get out of Boston and then back into Boston, and for 3 full days wouldn't need it at all. I'm headed to Gorham, NH. People have said to take 1A to Revere, then 1, and go on from there. Look for signs to Revere because 1A splits off. But I'm worried about getting in a jam where I can't back up or turn around and end up having to get on a toll road and then the fines will be $75, at each booth I believe. Looking at the maps I can't see exactly how to get to 1A from EZ Rent-A-Car at the airport. Can anyone explain exactly how to do that? Also does 1A become 60 in Revere and then joins with 1 a little farther on? That's what it looks like.

Another possible option? Can a person take the subway blue line to Revere and then rent a car from there? I don't see what looks like a rental place very close to any of the subway stops, and can't tell how it would be to walk.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
David
It's not as hard as it looks and there are signs all over the place on the street for 1a North. Basically you'll take a left from Jeffries St (where you're dumped out from the rental garage) onto Transportation Way. Follow the signs for the Airport Exit. They're at every intersection. It's a mess on google maps (and slightly less of a mess in person), but tou're essentially going to get looped through the airport by all of the terminals until you you exit the airport just after Terminal C. Here is the sign you'll see. Take Route 1a towards Revere (exit right). There's a piece of that highway that is marked I-90 "Toll Road" on google maps. Ignore it. If you're heading the right direction (1a towards Revere), you're not going to hit a toll. Follow 1a to Route 60 (it turns right into Route 60) which will take you right to Route 1 which seamlessly connect you to 95 North.

Getting all the way to Gorham is going to be LONG if you avoid tolls. You'll take 95 into New Hampshire, but you have to exit before the the Hampton Toll (I think it's the seabrook exit). Route 16 is a toll road for much of the way too. Just use your GPS with the avoid tolls feature active.

As for your other option, If you want to rent somewhere else and avoid tolls and getting out of the airport, take the blue or silver line (which is free) into downtown Boston and rent from a downtown car rental office. They're often cheaper than airports as well. That way you can just take I-93 to I-95 from downtown and not worry about tolls or navigating 1a and 1 util you hit NH. The Tobin Bridge (route 1) I BELIEVE tolls both ways now, so make sure you don't go that way, but 93-95 is easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston