U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 434,400 times
Reputation: 1319

Advertisements

The death of Anita Kurmann reexamined | Universal Hub

Sad, and interesting video. Scary because that is a typical route for me. I have been in that exact same position over a hundred times as a cyclist.

What can we do in the future to have these two modes of transport co-exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2018, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Reputation: 6588
From watching the video, I really don't think the truck was driving erratically or too fast or anything like that. Cars were going very slow actually. But this is a problem in stop and go traffic with bike lines- two sets of traffic at very different speeds (the bike being much faster here). I think people may be overstating how obvious it would have been that a bike was there. Visibility in those types of trucks are not good. I'm just not sure there is really any justice to be had here. It's a tragedy.

Also, from the Globe: "In their report, Boston police said the truck driver had his right turn signal on for eight seconds before making the turn, and that Kurmann was riding in a bus lane when she was struck, according to a copy provided to the Globe."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...qkL/story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 434,400 times
Reputation: 1319
Agree. Not saying it's so clear who is at fault. I know as a cyclist I may have been hyper aware of every sound and movement that truck was making.As a truck driver I really can't say what i would do. It is indeed an unfortunate tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 11:35 AM
 
4,109 posts, read 1,720,652 times
Reputation: 11595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
from watching the video, i really don't think the truck was driving erratically or too fast or anything like that. Cars were going very slow actually. But this is a problem in stop and go traffic with bike lines- two sets of traffic at very different speeds (the bike being much faster here). I think people may be overstating how obvious it would have been that a bike was there. Visibility in those types of trucks are not good. I'm just not sure there is really any justice to be had here. It's a tragedy.

Also, from the globe: "in their report, boston police said the truck driver had his right turn signal on for eight seconds before making the turn, and that kurmann was riding in a bus lane when she was struck, according to a copy provided to the globe."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...qkl/story.html
+1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 AM
 
Location: New England
1,925 posts, read 1,071,445 times
Reputation: 1682
Just a horrible tragedy. I don't see any gross negligence buy any side.

That location now has some posts to protect bikers. Maybe that would help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Boston
7,338 posts, read 15,309,608 times
Reputation: 8622
Tough to really definitively blame either party. Could the driver have been more aware? Maybe. But it's Central Boston at near peak hours in a tractor-trailer. There are a million things that might have taken his eyes away from the bus lane where by nature, you'd only be inclined to look for buses.

Could she have not been in the bus lane? Maybe. But biking infrastructure in this city is bad at best and cars tend to drive dangerously, so it's hard to fault her for riding in the place that gave her the most amount of buffer from vehicles in the road. It's also hard for someone who doesn't drive a truck to account for a trailer cutting in that much.

Frankly, we need better bike infrastructure. Major arteries with separate bike lanes like Staniford Street (yes, even at the cost of some on-street parking) that run continuously throughout the city (Staniford is about 2 city blocks long and the extension on Causeway isn't open yet). We also need drivers to be more cognizant of bikers (and Bikers to be better about obeying the rules of the road). Traffic calming measures would help - keeping cars from going so fast and things to make drivers more alert would help. Somerville has "shared streets" that make it very clear that cyclists and cars share the same road. Between being shared and being narrow two-way streets, cars drive slower and more aware creating a safer space making Somerville one of the most bike friendly cities in the country. In Europe and parts of Asia (namely, Japan), they take Shared Streets even further and include Pedestrians. Turns out, when drivers are actively aware pedestrians and cyclists are on the same space, the streets are actually safer because all parties are more alert. Between physically separated lanes on major arteries and some shared side streets, Boston could be a much better environment for cyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: New England
1,925 posts, read 1,071,445 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Tough to really definitively blame either party. Could the driver have been more aware? Maybe. But it's Central Boston at near peak hours in a tractor-trailer. There are a million things that might have taken his eyes away from the bus lane where by nature, you'd only be inclined to look for buses.

Could she have not been in the bus lane? Maybe. But biking infrastructure in this city is bad at best and cars tend to drive dangerously, so it's hard to fault her for riding in the place that gave her the most amount of buffer from vehicles in the road. It's also hard for someone who doesn't drive a truck to account for a trailer cutting in that much.

Frankly, we need better bike infrastructure. Major arteries with separate bike lanes like Staniford Street (yes, even at the cost of some on-street parking) that run continuously throughout the city (Staniford is about 2 city blocks long and the extension on Causeway isn't open yet). We also need drivers to be more cognizant of bikers (and Bikers to be better about obeying the rules of the road). Traffic calming measures would help - keeping cars from going so fast and things to make drivers more alert would help. Somerville has "shared streets" that make it very clear that cyclists and cars share the same road. Between being shared and being narrow two-way streets, cars drive slower and more aware creating a safer space making Somerville one of the most bike friendly cities in the country. In Europe and parts of Asia (namely, Japan), they take Shared Streets even further and include Pedestrians. Turns out, when drivers are actively aware pedestrians and cyclists are on the same space, the streets are actually safer because all parties are more alert. Between physically separated lanes on major arteries and some shared side streets, Boston could be a much better environment for cyclists.
They have added cycling infrastructure at the intersection where this accident occurred. It's not curb separated but it does add metal posts. It most likely would have prevented this accident.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3510...2!8i6656?hl=en

But yes I agree protected bike lanes should be installed throughout the city. It would increase safety and encourage more people to bike (which is a very efficient method of transportation in a dense city). I would serve more people then a couple of parking spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Reputation: 6588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
They have added cycling infrastructure at the intersection where this accident occurred. It's not curb separated but it does add metal posts. It most likely would have prevented this accident.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3510...2!8i6656?hl=en

But yes I agree protected bike lanes should be installed throughout the city. It would increase safety and encourage more people to bike (which is a very efficient method of transportation in a dense city). I would serve more people then a couple of parking spots.
If you have the chance to ride around Minneapolis and their bike highways, do so. That's a great city for biking. Boston? Incredibly dangerous. I used to bike everywhere, but just had too many close calls and got hit once. And had my bike stolen. Just not worth it here, for now at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM
 
9,322 posts, read 11,154,140 times
Reputation: 12502
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
The death of Anita Kurmann reexamined | Universal Hub

Sad, and interesting video. Scary because that is a typical route for me. I have been in that exact same position over a hundred times as a cyclist.

What can we do in the future to have these two modes of transport co-exist
I remember the case/story but didn't realize the driver was never charged.

Watching the video I can't believe she stopped when she saw the truck turning into her path and didn't consider the rest of the truck was coming her way also! I would have seen the turn, then pedaled as hard as I could to the right (making the turn also). She looked like she stopped in awe of the bad turn like she was yelling at the driver.

My buddy's dad is a die hard biker (rides his mountain bike everywhere, groceries/library, etc). He has put about 40,000 miles on his bikes over the years. He mounted an airhorn on the handlebar for situations like this though I'm not sure the trucker would have heard it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Reputation: 6588
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Agree. Not saying it's so clear who is at fault. I know as a cyclist I may have been hyper aware of every sound and movement that truck was making.As a truck driver I really can't say what i would do. It is indeed an unfortunate tragedy.
When I biked, I was always terrified to ride by buses or trucks like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top