U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM

233 posts, read 99,937 times

Advertisements

My ancestors came from the Azores and settled in Fall River around 1950sh, relocated to Canton/Stoughton, and now most of them live in either Canton (6-7 families), Walpole (2 families), Randolph (2 families), Boston, Wellesley, Hingham, Stoughton, Braintree, Dover, Seekonk, Attleboro, Indianapolis IN, Orlando FL, Charlotte NC with 1 family each.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,012,372 times
Portuguese and Azoreans came mostly during the late 19th century, largely for whaling, and mostly settled in the New Bedford and Fall River areas. They also settled in large numbers in the East Bay of RI (East Providence and environs). That said, as is always the case with these kinds of things, they’re now all over the place in Eastern New England. French Canadians largely settled in Central MA and RI mill towns (though, again, they’re now all over the place). Later Portuguese speakers came from Cape Verde. And then there is Brazil �� Hope this helps.

Last edited by rranger; 02-13-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,606,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Portuguese, many in Gloucester and Hudson, MA.
French Canadians would be Lowell, Fitchburg.
"French Canadians would be Lowell, Fitchburg."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kerouac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Goulet

Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,606,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
My French Canadian family comes from Lewiston. I think there are still many people with French Canadian heritage in the Lewiston area as well as southern Maine. Kennebunkport/Wells/Ogunquit attract many French Canadians in the summer
A couple of interesting Franco-Americans from Manchester, NH and Lewiston, ME

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rene_Gagnon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_LePage

Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,783 times
There was a small Portuguese immigrant community in East Boston (and a large Italian community). St John the baptist Church was the Portuguese Roman Catholic parish (now closed).

Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,463,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
A couple of interesting Franco-Americans from Manchester, NH and Lewiston, ME

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rene_Gagnon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_LePage
I noticed a Franco-American hall in downtown Manchester near the arena when last there five years ago. I hope it's still there.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,957,275 times
There are pockets of Continental Portuguese in East Cambridge, Ludlow, MA., and Lowell.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:25 PM

11,325 posts, read 5,852,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As a Portugee myself, the areas I recall that had many Portuguese in the 60's and 70's were the Somerville, Cambridge area and the North Shore as well as the south coast are around Fall River, New Bedford, Dartmouth, Wareham, Provincetown. Today there is still a strong Portuguese influence in those areas but you are talking about 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation who are Portuguese in heritage only - my kids are 2nd generation Portuguese American and they know a few words and have a Portuguese last name.
Not really. I was in DeMello's Market on Cove Road in New Bedford Monday morning. I was the only native English-speaker in the building. I shop there frequently and that's pretty normal. I order at the fish counter in Portuguese to practice. There are lots of businesses in New Bedford where you have to be bi-lingual to get hired. My dad was a dentist/Oral Surgeon. He spoke advanced-level Portuguese and took a lot of vacations in Portugal and the Azores practicing. You're not going to get far covering the Emergency Room at St Luke's without some fluency. I know all the dental office phrases. LOL

Fall River is the same way. There are a ton of recent immigrants. The change over the last 20 years is it's now more like 50/50 Portuguese/Spanish with immigration.

In the 'burbs, yeah. Most people are 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation and only know a few phrases and the curse words. My girlfriend's mother had siblings born in Portugal. My girlfriend doesn't know much Portuguese considering she had aunts growing up who didn't speak much English. It was the whole melting pot dogma of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston