U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 12:23 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It's safe enough. There are some restaurants and there is some shopping. You can get a $2100 1/2 bdr.

But, of all of the options that check those boxes in Greater Boston, would Quincy be your first recommendation for someone moving from out of state? Especially if they're coming from downtown Chicago? I'm of the opinion that we can collectively guide him to a neighborhood that checks all of the same boxes, with more to do and see, more 25-35 year old couples, and a better overall "feel". Quincy is totally fine, but it's not one of the few places i'd recommend up front. Certainly not a place that's going to make an overwhelming positive impression up front.

OP, Quincy would be a lot like Rodgers Park/West Ridge/Edison Park/Hyde Park.
OP lives in the Chicago suburbs. I recommended Quincy (or Braintree) primarily for relative affordability and practicality for someone who commutes to the airport, for anybody no matter where they come from. Especially if he has Logan Express as an option, which is far better than the T. People are recommending places like East Somerville, which would involve 2 trains plus the airport shuttle bus (as opposed to one single bus from Braintree right to the terminal). OP, you will have to come and check out all these places and see where you like the feel of...

But seriously consider the commute thing. I would limit it to places along the Blue (where there honestly are very few desirable neighborhoods along), Red Line and Logan Express.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Jefferies Point is safe. Crime occurs everywhere, and I wouldn't call East Boston particularly unsafe. It's safer then places like Roxbury, parts of Dorchester, or Mattapan. And definitively safer then large chunks of Chicago.
It's not stable. Crime comes and goes there, one day a neighborhood will be fine and the next MS13 will move in there and/or there will be a surge in random crimes. I just don't think it's that nice a place to live, sure it's dense but on a practicality level there is not much to walk to. It's a rough place to own a car, as well. Kind of a strange place. In the city, yet isolated. People still have to drive to most things. I don't know anybody living there who hasn't bailed, or isn't looking to. One thing I do give to it are good restaurants, and easy access to the airport.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stozi View Post
First of all thanks for the input, it's very helpful .

As far as preferred neighborhoods in Chicago , don't know if I forgot to mention it in the original post but we currently live in the Schaumburg area, and we have no problems with finding something of similar style in Boston. But we would prefer something more walkable and city like if we can find it. I know our budget doesn't exactly lend itself to many options.

As far the Chicago neighborhoods we like Evanston and Lincoln Park are definitely at the top of the list.
I don't think there is a Boston suburb that is truly comparable to Schaumburg. A lot more of the Boston area is more comparable to Evanston and Lincoln Park.

It's not really like Evanston or Lincoln Park (but it's closer to it than Schaumburg), but investigate Melrose.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM

1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stozi View Post
First of all thanks for the input, it's very helpful .

As far as preferred neighborhoods in Chicago , don't know if I forgot to mention it in the original post but we currently live in the Schaumburg area, and we have no problems with finding something of similar style in Boston. But we would prefer something more walkable and city like if we can find it. I know our budget doesn't exactly lend itself to many options.

As far the Chicago neighborhoods we like Evanston and Lincoln Park are definitely at the top of the list.
So, for example, Quincy/Malden will offer a bit more saturation and density when compared to Schaumburg. They'll also look and feel a lot lot lot more blue collar. They're both experiencing degrees of gentrification, with Quincy being the more established community of the two. But, they're not Schaumburg. More like Niles/South Evanston Rogers Park area.

Having said that, I think you open up a lot of doors if you're coming from the burbs. The red line>silver line bus is the most efficient way to get to the airport via public transportation if you're going to live north of the city. Or, if you elect a place like Charlestown, you can take the 92 or 93 bus to the silver line bus. Many options here, so I'll allow you to investigate the public transit and focus more on the neighborhoods I like.

My votes for urban neighborhoods based on my preferences:
  1. Central Square, Cambridge
  2. Davis Square, Somerville
  3. Porter Square, Cambridge/Somerville
  4. Harvard Square, Cambridge
  5. Charlestown, Boston
  6. Brookline Village, Brookline

Each of these options should be ~45 min. or under via public transportation, and offer walk ability and a more urban lifestyle. These are all considered more upscale, so if you do find a 2 bdr at your price point, it will be a pretty underwhelming property. That said, I'd go the 1 bdr route for now until you know more. Someone mentioned the Jeffries Point area in East Boston. Certainly the closest to the airport of all of the options, and has probably been the hottest neighborhood in Greater Boston over the last five years. That said, the options I gave you above are more established, and to me, more desirable. I would recommend Seaport/Fort Point as the likely best fit of all...Great waterfront, awesome restaurants, newfound and fairly substantial walkability, hub for the 27-35 year old crowd etc. and can hop right on the silver line bus via the world trade center. But you'd be looking at min $2500 for a studio.

If you want to maintain a bit more of a suburban feel, you may need to forfeit on public transportation altogether. Overall, getting to the airport via train/bus is just very inconvenient versus the rest of the cities locales. The airport sits on the wrong side of the water. For suburbs, I'd go Melrose/Arlington/Watertown. I like Arlington the most myself, with Melrose as a close second. Watertown offers some serious pros, and the new arsenal yard area is great.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
The OP could also look at Chelsea in the new developments there including The Box District, Atlas Lofts, and One North. One bedrooms under $2K, Silver Line Access to the airport, and a gentrifying neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:17 PM

I should add that, if the OP is looking for the more urban suburb feel, Quincy should ultimately be included in this discussion. I'll concede there, though I do prefer the urban/suburban neighborhoods I mentioned above more. Looks like it's still 40-45 min via train/bus from Quincy to Logan, so it's not that much more convenient to be frank.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The OP could also look at Chelsea in the new developments there including The Box District, Atlas Lofts, and One North. One bedrooms under $2K, Silver Line Access to the airport, and a gentrifying neighborhood.
No.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I should add that, if the OP is looking for the more urban suburb feel, Quincy should ultimately be included in this discussion. I'll concede there, though I do prefer the urban/suburban neighborhoods I mentioned above more. Looks like it's still 40-45 min via train/bus from Quincy to Logan, so it's not that much more convenient to be frank.
If you take Logan Express, it is far more convenient than any place save for East Boston. I honestly think Wollaston would check all of his boxes.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you take Logan Express, it is far more convenient than any place save for East Boston. I honestly think Wollaston would check all of his boxes.
Fair point.

I should mention that Reading could be a good fit here, too (if the OP chooses the suburban route). It has Lynnfield (marketplace) to the east, and Burlington to the west. It'd be similar to Schaumburg in it's convenience to modern amenities/shopping/restaurants. And to the point above, Logan Express is a good option as it's a park and ride bus service that runs very frequently. In Reading, you have the train to take you into the city, but you border Woburn's Logan Express station. Some very nice neighborhoods in town, and a nice (but little) downtown area with some restaurants. It's not out-of-box walkable, but the neighborhoods built off of downtown certainly are. And along with Melrose and Wakefield, Reading is a hot bed for first time buyers in the OPs age group. Braintree would be an equivalent community south of the city, though Braintree is more convenient to the airport for sure.

Last edited by mwj119; 02-05-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 04:07 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Logan Express from Woburn would be $5 a day for parking and $15 round trip on the bus to the airport. It's an option but you then have to add the commute from Woburn or Reading. Then comes the search for a sub $2K apartment in those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or