U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
So, Reading is a bit more upscale than say, Burlington or Wakefield or Chelmsford, but not as upscale as Lynnfield. There are still a few parts of Reading (east of 28) that are a bit "grittier" in feel, though those days are long gone. To me, and the reason I bring it into the discussion, is train access/proximity to all of the luxuries along that area of 95. The downtown has really been restored over the last few years, with places like Biltmore & Main and Bunratty Tavern. These days, buyers that would have bought in Andover 15 years ago, are buying in Reading. And, buyers that would have bought in Reading 15 years ago, are buying in Woburn or Stoneham.
I wouldn't say that Reading is more upscale then Burlington, but the rest of your analysis I agree with. They're just different, Burlington has tons of businesses, while Reading is mostly residential. For people who choose to buy in Burlington the abundance of business does allow for lower residential taxes and well funded schools.

Single family homes in Burlington are expensive, although I guess you could say that Burlington has more multi family development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM

1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I wouldn't say that Reading is more upscale then Burlington, but the rest of your analysis I agree with. They're just different, Burlington has tons of businesses, while Reading is mostly residential. For people who choose to buy in Burlington the abundance of business does allow for lower residential taxes and well funded schools.

Single family homes in Burlington are expensive, although I guess you could say that Burlington has more multi family development.
COL, when you factor property tax (very very high in Reading) is pretty similar. On a competitor site (st*rlings bst placs), Reading homes are a hair more expensive, and the household/median income levels are also higher. I think that Burlington, despite the rapid increase in desirability, is a bit less established based on income levels and educational attainment of existing residents. Lest we forget, Burlington was a sister city to Billerica for a long time, with Cheslmford being the upper crust between the three. Now, Burlington residents probably associate the town more with Bedford than the others.

Ultimately, though, if you like all of the commercial development in your community, Burlington is going to win in the comparison. Personally, I'd rather be close to it, but not in it. Sure, there are tax benefits to hosting all of the commercial activity, but there's also the traffic, and the downside from a look and feel perspective. I think that if someone drives through Burlington proper, and then takes a drive through Reading, a good majority will choose Reading based on aesthetics and build.

OP, Burlington is to Schaumburg as Reading is to, sayyyy, a more upscale Mount Prospect?

Both are good options for the OP if they desire to take the Logan Express from Woburn, but Reading has the train, while Burlington does not.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 AM

^Still for the OP all of those places would require the regular use of a car. There isn't much housing right next to the Anderson station in Woburn.

Plus the Express bus would be 29 bucks a day if you include parking. If you work 20 days a year that's $580 a month. Great for occasionally going to the airport but for employees commuting every day it would get expensive. Plus if you have to go during rush hour the bus would get stuck in a good bit of traffic. 93 is awful from both the north and the south.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
^Still for the OP all of those places would require the regular use of a car. There isn't much housing right next to the Anderson station in Woburn.

Plus the Express bus would be 29 bucks a day if you include parking. If you work 20 days a year that's $580 a month. Great for occasionally going to the airport but for employees commuting every day it would get expensive. Plus if you have to go during rush hour the bus would get stuck in a good bit of traffic. 93 is awful from both the north and the south.
OP get's 80% off of any form of travel. It's hidden in one of their last posts.

But yes, I agree. If I'm the OP, I'm not doing the Reading/Quincy/Braintree thing. I'm going for the red line in Cambridge to avoid traffic and to maintain a consistent commute time. Just such an incredible place to live.. Why not try the 1 bedroom in an urban environment route? After that, they can find a larger place to settle in a neighborhood they've investigated. OP, some resources for you to review:

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...professionals/
https://travel.usnews.com/Cambridge_MA/
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...0-restaurants/

If you like Evanston, Cambridge is the play. It's a larger, more interesting, more vibrant sister city of Evanston. Love the beautiful, old neighborhoods of Evanston? You'll find plenty of that in West Cambridge. Like the eclectic mix of foods in Evanston? 10x in Cambridge. Love the college vibe? 2x in Cambridge. The waterfront? The charles river offers as much or more recreation. The list goes on..

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 05:49 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 01:02 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Quote:

Yes the town has low taxes and well funded schools. Our tax rate is about $11 but valuations are going up - teardowns are now hitting $400K and new builds are over $1 million. People priced out of Lexington and Winchester are finding our 7 figure homes a bargain in comparison

Quote:
COL, when you factor property tax (very very high in Reading) is pretty similar. On a competitor site (st*rlings bst placs), Reading homes are a hair more expensive, and the household/median income levels are also higher. I think that Burlington, despite the rapid increase in desirability, is a bit less established based on income levels and educational attainment of existing residents. Lest we forget, Burlington was a sister city to Billerica for a long time, with Cheslmford being the upper crust between the three. Now, Burlington residents probably associate the town more with Bedford than the others.

Ultimately, though, if you like all of the commercial development in your community, Burlington is going to win in the comparison. Personally, I'd rather be close to it, but not in it. Sure, there are tax benefits to hosting all of the commercial activity, but there's also the traffic, and the downside from a look and feel perspective. I think that if someone drives through Burlington proper, and then takes a drive through Reading, a good majority will choose Reading based on aesthetics and build.

OP, Burlington is to Schaumburg as Reading is to, sayyyy, a more upscale Mount Prospect?

Both are good options for the OP if they desire to take the Logan Express from Woburn, but Reading has the train, while Burlington does not.
We like to consider ourselves equal to Bedford residents but they think they're comparable to Lexington and Concord but without the history. We do look down our noses at Woburnites and Wilmingtonians.

Luckily, the vast majority of the commercial development is at one end of town and most avoid it. I know I shop more in Wilmington than I do in Burlington.

Quote:

$19 a day. The Express bus is $7.50 each way with a 10 pass purchase and $5 a day to park. When I take the bus to the airport for a trip, I often see many Logan workers taking it.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
OP get's 80% off of any form of travel. It's hidden in one of their last posts.

But yes, I agree. If I'm the OP, I'm not doing the Reading/Quincy/Braintree thing. I'm going for the red line in Cambridge to avoid traffic and to maintain a consistent commute time. Just such an incredible place to live.. Why not try the 1 bedroom in an urban environment route? After that, they can find a larger place to settle in a neighborhood they've investigated. OP, some resources for you to review:

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...professionals/
https://travel.usnews.com/Cambridge_MA/
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...0-restaurants/

If you like Evanston, Cambridge is the play. It's a larger, more interesting, more vibrant sister city of Evanston. Love the beautiful, old neighborhoods of Evanston? You'll find plenty of that in West Cambridge. Like the eclectic mix of foods in Evanston? 10x in Cambridge. Love the college vibe? 2x in Cambridge. The waterfront? The charles river offers as much or more recreation. The list goes on..
I agree with you. I'd also throw in Davis Square. It's in Somerville near the border of Cambridge, but is a very vibrant area. Still their budget is at the high end for Davis. Although the OP would save money having to only pay 2.25 for the commute every day versus 29 bucks if they used one of the Logan shuttles or parked at the airport. Porter Square too, a little bit quieter then Davis and on the border of Cambridge and Somerville.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 05:48 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
$19 a day. The Express bus is $7.50 each way with a 10 pass purchase and $5 a day to park. When I take the bus to the airport for a trip, I often see many Logan workers taking it.
The T site says it's 7 bucks a day too park.

Still I was just trying to mention that the commuting costs negates some of the savings of living in the suburbs. And living in a place like Reading or Burlington isn't cheap, although it is cheaper then Cambridge.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Still I was just trying to mention that the commuting costs negates some of the savings of living in the suburbs. And living in a place like Reading or Burlington isn't cheap, although it is cheaper then Cambridge.
Guys, as we said before, the OP gets 80% off of transportation via the employer. So, there's flexibility.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Guys, as we said before, the OP gets 80% off of transportation via the employer. So, there's flexibility.
Ahh ok, never mind.

OP just needs to ask him/herself, would you rather have a smaller (and possibly more expensive) place in a walk-able urban area or a larger place in a more spread out suburban area where you need to drive to the bus pick up point.

And I would say since schools don't matter they should still take a look at places like Woburn/Stoneham/Weymouth. Nothing wrong with those towns, they're safe. They just have a higher blue collar population. I don't see a reason why the OP would prefer Reading to something like Stoneham or Woburn, it's all safe suburbia. Sure Reading has more big houses, but the OP isn't buying one of those with his/her budget.

Last edited by tysmith95; 02-06-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 03:01 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Quote:

Hmm, it was $5 in December. Must've gone up to match the long term parking on the other side of the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or