Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Ahh ok, never mind.

OP just needs to ask him/herself, would you rather have a smaller (and possibly more expensive) place in a walk-able urban area or a larger place in a more spread out suburban area where you need to drive to the bus pick up point.

And I would say since schools don't matter they should still take a look at places like Woburn/Stoneham/Weymouth. Nothing wrong with those towns, they're safe. They just have a higher blue collar population. I don't see a reason why the OP would prefer Reading to something like Stoneham or Woburn, it's all safe suburbia. Sure Reading has more big houses, but the OP isn't buying one of those with his/her budget.
Well, aesthetics are the most notable reason I'd suggest a Reading, Burlington, or Melrose over a bordering town like Woburn or an alternative like Weymouth. Not knocking those towns at all, but they are distinctly Northeast in look and feel, and you have to be comfortable with that if you're from the Midwest. Sounds funny, but I have first hand experience with that regional discrepancy, and comfort is key (lets just say that my fiance, who'd never lived on the east coast, was more comfortable looking in Melrose than Malden. I on the other hand, wanted Malden for the investment). But, yes, any of them would work. As far as renting, however, there's not going to be huge disparity between any of the suburbs listed.

To come full circle, the only reason I brought up Reading is because I find it to be more desirable than Woburn, and either way, you have to drive to get to the Logan Express if that's the method of transportation desired. All in all, I'd highly suggest choosing the convenient/fun location like Somerville or Cambridge in the near term, and then looking at reasonable suburbs from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:43 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
But yes, I agree. If I'm the OP, I'm not doing the Reading/Quincy/Braintree thing. I'm going for the red line in Cambridge to avoid traffic and to maintain a consistent commute time. Just such an incredible place to live.. Why not try the 1 bedroom in an urban environment route? After that, they can find a larger place to settle in a neighborhood they've investigated. OP, some resources for you to review:
Depends on what time you commute. Airport jobs are generally not traditional 9-5s. I'd say at off peak, the Logan Express is more predictable than the T and your life will be more "normal". If you must commute at rush hour, then yes the T would be more reliable. Still not pleasant, but more consistent.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Depends on what time you commute. Airport jobs are generally not traditional 9-5s. I'd say at off peak, the Logan Express is more predictable than the T and your life will be more "normal". If you must commute at rush hour, then yes the T would be more reliable. Still not pleasant, but more consistent.
Also very true.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
Also very true.
Agreed.

The biggest problem would be from 7-9 am going into Logan. Any other time should be ok. Although the traffic is pretty predictable, it just sucks though.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:26 AM

32 posts, read 38,976 times
Quote:
It's safe enough. There are some restaurants and there is some shopping. You can get a $2100 1/2 bdr.
OP, Quincy would be a lot like Rodgers Park/West Ridge/Edison Park/Hyde Park.
You are right and thank you for your advice from other thread. We haven't committed to a place yet for March, but Quincy is like Rogers Park/Skokie/West Evanston in overall feel.

To OP;
I live in Rogers Park for past 19 years and I drove around Quincy and Braintree for 3 days a month ago looking at rents. I am moving to work in Back Bay by March and I can't afford Boston Proper. What I can afford is just not worth it to me especially without parking. I have to drive for work and although my company will pay for the parking in the Back Bay I am still going to find a place in Quincy or Braintree at least for the next 12 month period.
To me it sounds as you should stick to the city no matter what you find. Sounds like you guys barely will spend any time at your place. We on the other hand cannot stand multi unit buildings, need our own laundry and don't go out.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 696 times
I think your best bet would be Revere by the beach (ocean ave/Shirley ave) you have the blue line right there. Some parts of Chelsea, near Broadway but some areas can be sketchy there too. Also Everett has some decent walkable areas. All 3 of these towns border Boston and are a quick commute, you will get a much nicer apt for your money in these areas as well. Everywhere inside Boston, with the exception of Mattapan, and really dangerous areas of Dorchester, will probably be out of your price range. I noticed a couple cambridge recommendations, in my experience Cambridge is even more expensive than Boston, unless you want to live in the projects..

Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Sorry to get a bit off track but after reading posts on this thread disgustingly reminds me that Boston is more expensive than Chicago. To be more expensive than the third biggest city in the nation when we are 10th or 11th biggest is a darn shame. How on earth did we get to this point? (That's a rhetorical question btw, I already know the answers.)

Old 02-26-2018, 07:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Sorry to get a bit off track but after reading posts on this thread disgustingly reminds me that Boston is more expensive than Chicago. To be more expensive than the third biggest city in the nation when we are 10th or 11th biggest is a darn shame. How on earth did we get to this point? (That's a rhetorical question btw, I already know the answers.)

This is news? Chicago is a super affordable place compared to what it offers. The economy in Chicago isn't good, and hasn't been for quite awhile. That's the difference. Boston's economy is booming, Chicago's is not.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is news? Chicago is a super affordable place compared to what it offers. The economy in Chicago isn't good, and hasn't been for quite awhile. That's the difference. Boston's economy is booming, Chicago's is not.
Without the specific mention of Chicago though, I think the point stands that other cities that are either much larger or growing much faster (even with better economies than Boston) are still more affordable than Boston.

https://www.nestpick.com/furnished-a...ts-rent-index/

Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Without the specific mention of Chicago though, I think the point stands that other cities that are either much larger or growing much faster (even with better economies than Boston) are still more affordable than Boston.

https://www.nestpick.com/furnished-a...ts-rent-index/

Well if they're larger and have worse economies, they'll be cheaper. Or if they're not isolated due to geography they'll be cheaper.

Not sure about what places are like Boston, and having great economies like Boston (high end jobs) and aren't as expensive or moreso. Manhattan is. SF is. DC is (but there is more space there to sprawl).

Geographic area has to be taken into account. Boston has a tiny footprint comparatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston