U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,220 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

We currently live in the Chicago suburbs. This summer we are planning on moving to Boston due to my job. Me and my girlfriend have visited a Boston a couple of times and absolutely love it out there, so we are super excited to be making the move.

Came here to seek advice on what parts of Boston we should focus on finding a place to live and any other suggestions people might have about moving to Boston.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Background Info:

Rent Budget: $2100/ Month not including Utilities

Apartment type : 2 bed/1 Bath Preferred , but we wouldn't mind a 1 bedroom apartment if we are in the heart of the city.

What we are looking for :

A neighborhood that is safe (obviously) especially since I travel a lot work so I want my girlfriend to feel safe when I'm not there.

We will only have one car which will not be used much, so being near public transportation is a must.

We would like to live in a neighborhood that has the restaurants and shopping nearby as well.

Thanks again !
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 10:08 PM

599 posts, read 383,297 times
You have to figure out where you’ll be working first and go from there. But 2100/mo is pretty unrealistic these days.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
You have to figure out where you’ll be working first and go from there. But 2100/mo is pretty unrealistic these days.
I'll be working out of Logan airport .

We have been looking at places in Somerville and Quincy for the most the part and have found some places that fit the bill, we are just unsure how those areas are.

I'm also not against driving to and from work .

Old 02-05-2018, 04:47 AM

53 posts, read 27,833 times
Somerville and Quincy are both on the orange line. Somerville is very hot right now, your budget may not get you what you want. Other places to look that may fit your budget that have restaurants and shopping and public transportation and are safe: Malden, Medford, Melrose.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
$2100 is doable. It will take some leg work. Some parts of East Boston would be fine, but probably East Somerville near orange line. You can then do orange to blue for work.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 AM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Many employers at the airport offer subsidized tickets on the Logan Express. If yours does, focus on Braintree and Quincy.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 AM

1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stozi View Post
Hello Folks,

We currently live in the Chicago suburbs. This summer we are planning on moving to Boston due to my job. Me and my girlfriend have visited a Boston a couple of times and absolutely love it out there, so we are super excited to be making the move.

Came here to seek advice on what parts of Boston we should focus on finding a place to live and any other suggestions people might have about moving to Boston.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Background Info:

Rent Budget: $2100/ Month not including Utilities

Apartment type : 2 bed/1 Bath Preferred , but we wouldn't mind a 1 bedroom apartment if we are in the heart of the city.

What we are looking for :

A neighborhood that is safe (obviously) especially since I travel a lot work so I want my girlfriend to feel safe when I'm not there.

We will only have one car which will not be used much, so being near public transportation is a must.

We would like to live in a neighborhood that has the restaurants and shopping nearby as well.

Thanks again !
Former Chicagoan.

Give us a few neighborhoods that you like in Chicago and then we can tailor recommendations in that way. Quincy is not going to be recommended, nor will Malden or some of the other communities listed on the thread thus far. Essentially, that would be like a Bostonian moving to Chicago and you suggesting Niles or Rogers Park.

So, what are some of your favorites? Lincoln Park? Logan Square? West Loop? Evanston?

Old 02-05-2018, 09:32 AM

1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Wicker Park/Bucktown: Central Square Cambridge/Somerville/Allston
Lincoln Park: South End
Gold Coast: Back Bay/Beacon Hill
Old Town: /Seaport South Boston(Broadway st.)
West Loop is incomparable... Everything is seemingly more developed in Boston. But if you like the hip restaraunts, modern apartments, Seaport is the closest thing.
Rogers Park: Brighton
Evanston: West Cambridge/Harvard Sq.

etc.etc.etc.

For $2100, I'd go with a 1 bedroom in a good location. Maybe even a temp rental or short term lease. Once you find an area that's a bit less expensive yet still manageable, then move to a longer term 2 bdr lease.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Former Chicagoan.

Give us a few neighborhoods that you like in Chicago and then we can tailor recommendations in that way. Quincy is not going to be recommended, nor will Malden or some of the other communities listed on the thread thus far. Essentially, that would be like a Bostonian moving to Chicago and you suggesting Niles or Rogers Park.

So, what are some of your favorites? Lincoln Park? Logan Square? West Loop? Evanston?
Why would Quincy not be recommended when it meets all the OP's requirements???

Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmccoy View Post
Somerville and Quincy are both on the orange line. Somerville is very hot right now, your budget may not get you what you want. Other places to look that may fit your budget that have restaurants and shopping and public transportation and are safe: Malden, Medford, Melrose.
Quincy is not on the orange line, it is on the red line.

But to be honest Quincy isin't the most urban walkable place. The city has no laws requiring people to shovel sidewalks during the winter, so pathways to the t can be difficult. Why Quincy does have the T the city has lots of strip malls and other car dependent places. Most people there have cars.

Of course it's a pretty good deal and a red line to South station followed by silver line to airport commute would not be bad.

You could also look at something like Roslindale or West Roxbury and rely on the commuter rail.

But 2100 is not gonna get you the most exciting neighborhoods next to the T. This area is wicked expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or