U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 05:32 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,461,317 times

Advertisements

I often wonder why some prime downtown retail space has been empty for so many years. These are often prime spots, very high profile.

I realize commercial rents are very high, but over the years, wouldn't landlords have lowered the price?

For instance, the supposedly historic building at Boylston and Arlington across from Parrish Cafe: formerly housed the esteemed Shreve, Crump and Low jewelers. They moved to Newbury Street perhaps ten years ago....WHY is this still vacant, in an important block? Thankfully, It doesn't look vacant or abandoned or boarded up to the casual observer, but...

I heard years ago that the Back Bay Neighborhood Association was vocal in regards to the type of tenant to fill the space. Plus it's historic or a landmark designation. Does the building seem that unique to most? Wouldn't a generic bank or phone store be better than nothing?

The City Place building at Stuart and S. Charles has that vacant restaurant space, long ago an Applebee's then a chic international eatery with a patio. That's also high profile and has been empty maybe five years.

Any other storefronts which have been noticeably vacant for too long?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 06:56 AM

7,855 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Harvard Square Theater. Still owned by someone, but also still empty. This is the last I heard about it:https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...AqJ/story.html

Kinda prefer it empty tbh.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:12 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Any other storefronts which have been noticeably vacant for too long?
The old Barnes and Noble location in Downtown Crossing is one. Beats me why it hasn't been occupied yet.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM

233 posts, read 99,848 times
Gigantic department store next to Macys in Downtown Crossing as well. It is a massive empty space.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:10 PM

1,925 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Considering all of the development at assembly I'm surprised that the former circuit city has stayed empty for the past 10 years

Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 AM

885 posts, read 710,333 times
Landlords writing off it off as lost rent waiting for a huge payday if a developer decides to build the next millennium tower.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Landlords writing off it off as lost rent waiting for a huge payday if a developer decides to build the next millennium tower.

This, they aren't getting the offers they want, so they let it sit and have it offset their profits.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,211,336 times
I think the Barnes and Noble site is under contract in some form, whether that means renovating to make it leaseable or tenant in hand I don't know, but there is some movement. Another block or so up Washington the Boston Transcript building at the corner of Milk St (a survivor of the many commercial buildings put up all at once after the Great Fire of 1872) is being renovated for some new retail use at street level. Retail is such a volatile field now it's hard to figure motives. Apparently much of that block of Boylston Street, from Arlington to Berkeley, including the Shreve building, has empty storefronts. It's a worrisome trend if you value the idea of the city center being full of varied shops and lively streets. Bad enough that the shops are the same chain outlets you can find anywhere; worse if they become just another bank branch or drugstore.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:14 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I think the Barnes and Noble site is under contract in some form, whether that means renovating to make it leaseable or tenant in hand I don't know, but there is some movement. Another block or so up Washington the Boston Transcript building at the corner of Milk St (a survivor of the many commercial buildings put up all at once after the Great Fire of 1872) is being renovated for some new retail use at street level. Retail is such a volatile field now it's hard to figure motives. Apparently much of that block of Boylston Street, from Arlington to Berkeley, including the Shreve building, has empty storefronts. It's a worrisome trend if you value the idea of the city center being full of varied shops and lively streets. Bad enough that the shops are the same chain outlets you can find anywhere; worse if they become just another bank branch or drugstore.
It's nice to see that the former City Sports stores on Boylston and the one across the Langham hotel didn't sit empty for too long.

That store, formerly a Staples (?), at Boylston and Gloucester near Trader Joe's sits and sits empty. I think it's been a pop-up athletic store during the Marathon.

I think the Globe had a front page story last year on all the empty storefronts in the Back Bay (or was it Boylston?).

Yet I always feel that even in a great economy, there's always empty storefronts in or near downtown Boston, Coolidge Corner or wherever, for various reasons. Probably similar in Manhattan, Chicago, etc.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM

603 posts, read 383,844 times
Amazon.com.

You guys continue to underestimate the profound effect of online shopping on the retail habits of today’s consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or