U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:57 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I know lots of extremely successful lawyers who have graduated from Suffolk. Several of them have started successful Boston based firms with practices in corporate law and criminal defense. Donít listen to the haters, there are plenty of opportunities coming out of Suffolk if you are smart and hardworking.
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 05:58 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,830,712 times
Am I one of the only one's who is happy for the OP? I think it's great he/she is going to law school. Suffolk is a good school with a fine rep in Boston. And some $ to boot? I say Boston. And congratulations OP.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 1,572,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Am I one of the only one's who is happy for the OP? I think it's great he/she is going to law school. Suffolk is a good school with a fine rep in Boston. And some $ to boot? I say Boston. And congratulations OP.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
I'm not happy or unhappy for OP. He asked a question about school ranking and cities. A few folks answered with respect to this. It's just that some of us know the realities about the job market for law grads and too many folks go to law school wearing rose colored glasses. If you go to law school, you should really want to go, and you should understand what will happen at the end.

It's realistic for OP to go to Suffolk, graduate, and have a decent legal career in Boston. But if the idea is not to stay in Boston, it will be much more difficult.

Law school itself is great. But it's very expensive and not for everyone.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is very much a double-edged sword. In some cases it is actually a detriment. I have one friend who has a law degree and decided he wanted to teach, so he went back to school and got a teaching degree. He could not get a job as a teacher, because the contracts with teacher's unions specify that teachers with an advanced degree must get paid more, and there was no way a school was going to pay a starting teacher more money than they had to. My friend ended up having to go back to practicing law.

Some employers wonder why the hell anyone who is a lawyer would want to do another job and assume that people who would want to go into a different field must have been drummed out of the law in disgrace.

It is wonderful knowledge to have and certainly entrepreneurs can make a great use of a law degree. But not everyone out there sees it as a plus.

I know dozens, and not once have I seen it to be a detriment. Sure, if you want to do something where you're not using your degree at all, then it could be, but if that's the case, don't go to law school. I don't really know anyone that went "just because". If that's what you mean by another job, then sure, but law can be used in tons of fields where you're not acting as a lawyer, but using your legal background in your work. Several of the CEOs I worked for had law degrees, as do many of the public policy people I know. No reason to sow fear into people, education is a plus, especially if one can get it with minimal debt.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,830,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm not happy or unhappy for OP. He asked a question about school ranking and cities. A few folks answered with respect to this. It's just that some of us know the realities about the job market for law grads and too many folks go to law school wearing rose colored glasses. If you go to law school, you should really want to go, and you should understand what will happen at the end.

It's realistic for OP to go to Suffolk, graduate, and have a decent legal career in Boston. But if the idea is not to stay in Boston, it will be much more difficult.

Law school itself is great. But it's very expensive and not for everyone.
That can be said about almost anything. There isn't much out there that's a golden ticket - there are many variables to success. Education is one that often adds to it.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,956,580 times
Suffolk produces some great lawyers, I just wonder how many of them were highly motivated ones who went part-time while workings vs. full time.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM

1,605 posts, read 737,479 times
It has nothing to do with the schools, and everything to do with the network of the individual. Better schools allow for a broader network, sure, but if the OP has a network and simply needs the degree to check the box, then more power to them.

If you grow up in, say, Wellesley, and have many freinds and family that practice, it doesn't matter where you go. If you can go to Umass Law and get the paper, the rest will follow. So, those who grow up in the middle class, and have no strings to pull- compiled with going to a teir 3 law school, then yes, it will be difficult.

It's not one size fits all.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:31 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Plus a valedictorian at Suffolk Law might be better off then someone who got crappy grades at a more prestigious school.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:17 PM

2,770 posts, read 1,572,824 times
We're getting far afield here. Law school itself is a great education, and not many people dispute that. It would be great if everyone could go. There is, however, a valid question whether it is economically worthwhile. That answer is much murkier.

The question here is whether OP should go to Suffolk or NYLS, with the added factor that he does not like large cities. This is a highly individualistic question that will have many factors. Based solely on the information we have been provided, which is that OP doesn't like big cities and got some money from Suffolk (which presumably, although not necessarily, means that OP will have less debt after graduating from Suffolk than he would after graduating from NYLS), it would seem that Suffolk would be the better choice. However, there are numerous other considerations that we do not know here. Whether OP seeks to disclose additional facts is up to him. But given that the only question presented is Suffolk versus NYLS, and we are given very limited information, there isn't a whole lot of additional insight we can offer.

If OP wants to return to Wisconsin, it makes virtually no difference whether he goes to Suffolk or NYLS, in terms of the employment opportunities these two schools would offer there. (I don't know if it is still true, but it used to be that if you went to law school at U of Wisconsin, you did not even have to take the WI bar exam.) If, for whatever reasons, OP must go to one of these two schools, my answer remains that he should go to whichever one, at the end of the day, provides him with the least amount of debt. (Which again, seems like it should be Suffolk, but I can't say that for certain.)

Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM

Well if he wanted to go back to Wisconsin he should go to a state school in Wisconsin. They're a bargain. I almost had no debt (quickly paid off) after my UW Madison masters. Kind of clear that isn't his goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or