U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 6,110 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Madison, WI. I have been admitted to a law school in Boston which is significantly lower ranked than a law school that I have been admitted to in NYC. I will not disclose which schools they are but they are both Tier 3 schools. I am a person that can sometimes get lonely and overwhelmed by NYC and other large cities. The school in Boston awarded me a $45,000 scholarship for the full three years and NYC didn't give me any. Which city would be the easiest to assimilate to for someone with mild anxiety? I also have a motorcycle that I would really like to keep parked close to where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 AM

2,051 posts, read 3,466,102 times
Is your anxiety perhaps related to crowds, traffic, city noise, apartment noises?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 AM

599 posts, read 292,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBadger2112 View Post
Hello,Which city would be the easiest to assimilate to for someone with mild anxiety?
Boston is generally a bit slower and less congested than NYC. I would think you would be able to find a group of friends and peers through your program at any graduate school which could potentially make any city less isolating. It all depends on what triggers your anxiety. Is the scholarship per year. If so, $135k less in debt plus the cost of living difference would significantly lessen my anxiety.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:06 AM

19,052 posts, read 10,079,571 times
Quote:
Hello,

I currently live in Madison, WI. I have been admitted to a law school in Boston which is significantly lower ranked than a law school that I have been admitted to in NYC. I will not disclose which schools they are but they are both Tier 3 schools. I am a person that can sometimes get lonely and overwhelmed by NYC and other large cities. The school in Boston awarded me a $45,000 scholarship for the full three years and NYC didn't give me any. Which city would be the easiest to assimilate to for someone with mild anxiety? I also have a motorcycle that I would really like to keep parked close to where I live.
You're nuts if you pay full freight tuition at a T3 law school

Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times
Quote:
Hello,

Boston definitely.

Oh, there is a Badger Alumni group here. A bit and active one. Looks for this group on FB "WAA - Boston (Alumni Connection)", they maybe helpful. We meet for football games each week too, if you are interested in such things.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 AM

13 posts, read 6,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Is your anxiety perhaps related to crowds, traffic, city noise, apartment noises?
I think that plays a big role, yes. But I am fine in Chicago, which is weird.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 AM

2,772 posts, read 1,578,266 times
If you're going to a third tier law school go to the one where you have the least debt at the end.
Also, the lower ranked the law school, the more your job prospects will be limited to the metro area where the law school is located. That is, a low tier law school in Boston places most of its grads in the Boston area, and a low tier law school in NYC places most of its grads in the NYC area. So take that into account.

Either place, you should find friends in law school.

That said, Boston is a bit slower paced and calmer than NYC.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:21 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,372,554 times
Take the free money in Boston...the law degree you are getting is a dime a dozen & you will be lucky to find any kind of regular employment. There's a massive glut of people out there with similar law degrees who are not employed or are working for long hours & low-end pay.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:42 PM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Take the free money in Boston...the law degree you are getting is a dime a dozen & you will be lucky to find any kind of regular employment. There's a massive glut of people out there with similar law degrees who are not employed or are working for long hours & low-end pay.

And loads doing well. I know lots of people with law degrees, not all are lawyers, but all are using their degrees heavily in their professions.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:08 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,372,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And loads doing well. I know lots of people with law degrees, not all are lawyers, but all are using their degrees heavily in their professions.
Yes....doing well with degrees from good schools, not these third-tier law schools. My workplace will not even interview anyone who shows up with a degree from a place like the Massachusetts School of Law. That resume gets tossed, every time, without a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or