Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:15 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Memorial Day Weekend can be on the quiet side in Boston proper. Students are gone. Little to no commuters from the burbs. Few business people nor conventions, etc. Many try to get away for the long weekend. A great time to visit.
I think last year, at least, Harvard's graduation and reunion were over (or bookended) Memorial Day weekend. I don't know if that is always the case, but that made it not as quiet as you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
I second checking out the Boston Calling. Last years was fun. Venue is great.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
i think I am going to skip the pizza.

Just going to stick to clam chowder, lobster roll, and seafood.

Can anyone recommend a good place for brunch on Sunday? Maybe something by the water?

Also, I'm think about going to the baseball game on friday even though i'm not a sox fan. Probably check out the food there as well.

Is legal seafood actually worth going to for clam chowder? Is the location in boston better than the chains out of state like the short hills, nj location?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i think I am going to skip the pizza.

Just going to stick to clam chowder, lobster roll, and seafood.

Can anyone recommend a good place for brunch on Sunday? Maybe something by the water?

Also, I'm think about going to the baseball game on friday even though i'm not a sox fan. Probably check out the food there as well.

Is legal seafood actually worth going to for clam chowder? Is the location in boston better than the chains out of state like the short hills, nj location?
Good plan, to skip the pizza.
Definitely go to a game at Fenway -- it is such a fun atmosphere. There are a bunch of restaurants very close, all of which are okay. There are a couple across the street from the park, and you can get your lobster roll there.

If you can go to the Legal in Short Hills, I'd try to get to a place that's only in Boston. I'm not a huge chowder fan, so ask others where their favorite place for chowder is.

I have heard great things about the brunch at Buttermilk & Bourbon, but I haven't been able to get there myself (despite trying). It's not on the water, but in the Back Bay area.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Brunch- Beehive in South End has some good eats and killer live jazz. Alden and Harlow, as my original novel says, is awesome. The best brunch I’ve ever had, bar none. If you need waterfront brunch, hop over to The Reelhouse in East Boston. Old school, gritty neighborhood with the best views of the harbor. Worst case scenario, cruise down Newbury St. and find a nice patio joint for breakfast.. Stephanie’s, Sonsie, something like that. Make sure to find a good mom and pop coffee spot, too.

As for seafood, forget a lobster roll or chowder unless you’re in love with either. That’s like getting a hot dog in Chicago. Get some real Boston seafood like a thick piece of Swordfish from Atlantic Fish or Grill 23, a huge raw bar assortment from Row 34, or grab some awesome small bites via the little neighborhood patio at B&G oyster.

EDIT: Legal Seafood harborside is definitely a step up. Awesome rooftop indoor/outdoor patio, usually buzzing in the evenings. If you go, grab some sushi. The fish comes off the docks right out the back door. Also, if you go to Fenway, the obligatory bar is Cask n Flagon, which is frequently voted the best baseball bar in America. Check out the rooftop at Baseball Tavern for a cool game day atmosphere. And, it’s a baseball during the day-drunk college neighborhood at night, so the food is a snooze (unless you’re into pub food). Head back up Boylston towards Back Bay/Downtown for dinner after the game.. Again, Atlantic Fish would be my very first recommendation that way. As with most cities of Boston’s ridiculous population density, most restaurants need a reservation if they’re well regarded (excluding the North End).. so you may want to plan ahead.

Last edited by mwj119; 03-13-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
B&G Oyster all the way. Place has never let me down.

Near Fenway my favorites are Tiger Mama (Thai fusion) and Citizen (American)

Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Brunch- Beehive in South End has some good eats and killer live jazz. Alden and Harlow, as my original novel says, is awesome. The best brunch I’ve ever had, bar none. If you need waterfront brunch, hop over to The Reelhouse in East Boston. Old school, gritty neighborhood with the best views of the harbor. Worst case scenario, cruise down Newbury St. and find a nice patio joint for breakfast.. Stephanie’s, Sonsie, something like that. Make sure to find a good mom and pop coffee spot, too.

As for seafood, forget a lobster roll or chowder unless you’re in love with either. That’s like getting a hot dog in Chicago. Get some real Boston seafood like a thick piece of Swordfish from Atlantic Fish or Grill 23, a huge raw bar assortment from Row 34, or grab some awesome small bites via the little neighborhood patio at B&G oyster.

EDIT: Legal Seafood harborside is definitely a step up. Awesome rooftop indoor/outdoor patio, usually buzzing in the evenings. If you go, grab some sushi. The fish comes off the docks right out the back door. Also, if you go to Fenway, the obligatory bar is Cask n Flagon, which is frequently voted the best baseball bar in America. Check out the rooftop at Baseball Tavern for a cool game day atmosphere. And, it’s a baseball during the day-drunk college neighborhood at night, so the food is a snooze (unless you’re into pub food). Head back up Boylston towards Back Bay/Downtown for dinner after the game.. Again, Atlantic Fish would be my very first recommendation that way. As with most cities of Boston’s ridiculous population density, most restaurants need a reservation if they’re well regarded (excluding the North End).. so you may want to plan ahead.

Spot on.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

um..half the reason I am going is for the clam chowder and lobster roll. I forgot about fried oysters and clams.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
um..half the reason I am going is for the clam chowder and lobster roll. I forgot about fried oysters and clams.
That's an expensive lobster roll.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:24 PM

if I buy the cheapest ticket for fenway, can I still walk around the stadium the entire game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston