Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think the difference may be that I don't feel the need to overcompensate. I prefer to offer honest, accurate information. To each his own, though.
Quote:
I think the difference may be that I don't feel the need to overcompensate. I prefer to offer honest, accurate information. To each his own, though.

Hey, if that's you being honest, that's cool. Overcompensation for what? That doesn't make sense. I honestly never have felt uncomfortable at either. . I spent more time at Ruggles than the other as I played night basketball by there for several years in a men's league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
I've lived in a couple real "fringey" areas in Columbus and Cleveland, but not Boston to be fair. But in general it's true, staying out of gangs does wonders for your health. That is not to say that your chances of getting mugged in Mattapan are the same as in Brookline, but that doesn't mean it's "likely." From my experience that bigger concern is property crime, not walking home at night (though I understand psychologically, darkness and reputation of an area do have a more dramatic effect).

Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've lived in a couple real "fringey" areas in Columbus and Cleveland, but not Boston to be fair. But in general it's true, staying out of gangs does wonders for your health. That is not to say that your chances of getting mugged in Mattapan are the same as in Brookline, but that doesn't mean it's "likely." From my experience that bigger concern is property crime, not walking home at night (though I understand psychologically, darkness and reputation of an area do have a more dramatic effect).
Yea but if you get mugged for $20 once in a while vs over paying by hundreds of thousands for a house ....

Old 03-06-2018, 01:32 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
Quote:
There have been times where I've felt very uncomfortable at Ruggles. Jackson Square also.
"Feeling uncomfortable" doesn't mean you were actually in any danger, though.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That is not to say that your chances of getting mugged in Mattapan are the same as in Brookline...
Sure about that?

I would think that there would be a greater risk of random property crime in a wealthier area, particularly if it's around a lot of bars where people may not be paying particular attention to their surroundings.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
"Feeling uncomfortable" doesn't mean you were actually in any danger, though.

A lot of people "feel uncomfortable" when they see people dressed a certain way and/or of a certain ethnic background. The problem is brought with them.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Some people consistently downplay safety issues in rough areas so as to project themselves as being "tough guys."

This is a relocation forum. I can't help but wonder how many people have been mugged, jumped, or have entered into a lease they very much regret due to the misleading information posted by the aforementioned "tough guys."

Old 03-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Some people consistently downplay safety issues in rough areas so as to project themselves as being "tough guys."

This is a relocation forum. I can't help but wonder how many people have been mugged, jumped, or have entered into a lease they very much regret due to the misleading information posted by the aforementioned "tough guys."

So if you don't live scared of POC you're a "tough guy"? Ok. Good one.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:26 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
A lot of people read this forum. I'd guess that some of them make major life decisions based on information that is posted here. When a forum member is deliberately posting misleading info, I think he/she should be called out for the fraud that he/she is.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
A lot of people read this forum. I'd guess that some of them make major life decisions based on information that is posted here. When a forum member is deliberately posting misleading info, I think he/she should be called out for the fraud that he/she is.
If you’re making “major life decisions” based from info gathered from an online forum, then you’re an idiot. I’ve lived in 3 major cities since joining CD (Chicago, LA, and now NYC) and while I appreciate the advice, I do more research beyond this.

I spent large chunks of my life hanging out and living in Mattapan, Egleston Sq, Dudley Sq, Jackson Sq, etc. Trust me, I could show you parts of Chicago that make these areas look like Newton. Nothing posted here is “fraud” unless being in areas that are majority black really frightens you that much. Truth is you’re highly unlikely to be victimized, especially if you’re not a black or brown male who may be misidentified as being a local gang member. My white female roommate liked off of Cummings Highway for years with no issues.

Oh wait, what am I saying? No, don’t move here, you will be murdered on the spot! Don’t move here! In fact, if you moved to the area in the past 5 years, you should for sure leave before you press your luck any further! Stay far away and take your gentrification dollars with you! Some of us displaced Bostonians will make the sacrifice and buy in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston