U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: New England
1,925 posts, read 1,070,115 times
Reputation: 1682

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We aren't talking about living there. We're talking about getting on a train there. I was at red line stops for basketball leagues for years down there, its not a big deal. I never felt "unsafe" because... why would I? What does that mean to people if it isn't "sketchy people" being about (usually a code for young male POC).

I would absolutely have lived there to if it had the amenities and transit to where I needed to work as well, but I worked on the orange line, so a very non-white section of East Somerville is where I mostly lived.
Somerville is 70% white. Although a good question would be what is white. Somerville has a huge Brazilian population, and i'd say that many of them look "white". Same with many Hispanics, many of them look "white".

Being "white" just has such an artificial culturally defined boundary, and that boundary changes over time. The white privileged class did not include Italians, Irish, and Jewish people 100 years ago. But today for the most part they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
"sketchy people" being about (usually a code for young male POC).
ehh not sure about this. Presence of druggies also conjures up the sketch image. Druggies come from a variety of walks of life. Andrew Square for example can feel pretty sketchy sometimes. Not because of minorities though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 AM
 
6,075 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Reputation: 3876
So how do people making less than a quarter million a year live in Boston without living in Mattapan or similar areas? Do they just kind of drift around the nicer areas trying to rent rooms until that dries up and then they have to quit their job and leave state?

From what i could tell there was not alot of inbetween, there was mattapan and then massivly expensive housing (if you wanted to be on the non purple line subway system. Otherwise with the traffic it would just be a matter of time (short time) before you were fired for being constantly late to work, or is that the work culutre in Boston, you just kind of get to work when you get to work due to the extreme congestion if you have to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So how do people making less than a quarter million a year live in Boston without living in Mattapan or similar areas? Do they just kind of drift around the nicer areas trying to rent rooms until that dries up and then they have to quit their job and leave state?

From what i could tell there was not alot of inbetween, there was mattapan and then massivly expensive housing (if you wanted to be on the non purple line subway system. Otherwise with the traffic it would just be a matter of time (short time) before you were fired for being constantly late to work, or is that the work culutre in Boston, you just kind of get to work when you get to work due to the extreme congestion if you have to drive?
I don't make even close to 6 figures, let alone a quarter million. I don't know, I feel like I've had a pretty decent go of things in Brighton for the last 6 years. Some thrift, some thankfulness, and some desire to work will do a lot. Yes, I have roommates. No, I don't really want them. But they are fine and it's worth the savings. There are still areas where "normal" folks can live. Though yes there are some issues, like the commutes you mention. I think in general there is an understanding that the T sucks. Nobody will get angry with you for being on a Red line train that explodes at 8:30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 12:43 PM
 
6,075 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Reputation: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't make even close to 6 figures, let alone a quarter million. I don't know, I feel like I've had a pretty decent go of things in Brighton for the last 6 years. Some thrift, some thankfulness, and some desire to work will do a lot. Yes, I have roommates. No, I don't really want them. But they are fine and it's worth the savings. There are still areas where "normal" folks can live. Though yes there are some issues, like the commutes you mention. I think in general there is an understanding that the T sucks. Nobody will get angry with you for being on a Red line train that explodes at 8:30.
Ok thats kind of what I was thinking. We stayed in a hotel on the purple line, thinking that was "the subway" once we realized that the purple line was basicly a full blown train and only came very seldom and had its own fee structure we just took an uber. We did take the purple line once and it took us almost 2 hours to get from Boston back to the hotel, between all the connections and stops, etc and then sitting and waiting for the purple rail to leave which was like over half hour.

If you live on the red, green or blue lines life would be pretty good but those seemed like the super expensive places (other than mattapan), then as soon as you leave those 3 rails things became a nightmare.

We were toursits on our honeymoon so we did not mind paying for the uber to get into boston to avoid the purple rail but I could not imagine trying to do that every single day, chewing up 1-2 hours in commuting each way, unless you only worked 6 hours a day or something or partially worked from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 01:18 PM
 
Location: New England
1,925 posts, read 1,070,115 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So how do people making less than a quarter million a year live in Boston without living in Mattapan or similar areas? Do they just kind of drift around the nicer areas trying to rent rooms until that dries up and then they have to quit their job and leave state?

From what i could tell there was not alot of inbetween, there was mattapan and then massivly expensive housing (if you wanted to be on the non purple line subway system. Otherwise with the traffic it would just be a matter of time (short time) before you were fired for being constantly late to work, or is that the work culutre in Boston, you just kind of get to work when you get to work due to the extreme congestion if you have to drive?
Easy. If you use a general rule of thumb (not perfect) of 30% of your pre tax income on housing. That means on say a 100k income, you can afford up to 30k a year on rent. Or 2,500 a month. You can afford most neighborhoods in Boston with that rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 03:07 PM
 
603 posts, read 384,358 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Ok thats kind of what I was thinking. We stayed in a hotel on the purple line, thinking that was "the subway" once we realized that the purple line was basicly a full blown train and only came very seldom and had its own fee structure we just took an uber. We did take the purple line once and it took us almost 2 hours to get from Boston back to the hotel, between all the connections and stops, etc and then sitting and waiting for the purple rail to leave which was like over half hour.

If you live on the red, green or blue lines life would be pretty good but those seemed like the super expensive places (other than mattapan), then as soon as you leave those 3 rails things became a nightmare.

We were toursits on our honeymoon so we did not mind paying for the uber to get into boston to avoid the purple rail but I could not imagine trying to do that every single day, chewing up 1-2 hours in commuting each way, unless you only worked 6 hours a day or something or partially worked from home.
For future reference - it isn't called the Purple Line, it's called the Commuter Rail.

The Orange Line goes through some very nice areas (and some mediocre, and not nice areas)

A lot of people living in the suburbs work in the suburbs. There's a lot of offices along 495 and 128. Many adjust their commute time to make it work. I don't know the proportion of jobs in the suburbs to jobs in the city, but it's probably still pretty high.

More and more offices are open to work-from-home. Successful businesses understand that "ass in seat time" doesn't correlate to profitability in today's service economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: New England
1,925 posts, read 1,070,115 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
More and more offices are open to work-from-home. Successful businesses understand that "ass in seat time" doesn't correlate to profitability in today's service economy.
Ehh, i'm not sure how true that is. Sure it was a fad a few years ago, but nothing beats face to face contact. Most managers want to see their employees on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Ehh, i'm not sure how true that is. Sure it was a fad a few years ago, but nothing beats face to face contact. Most managers want to see their employees on a regular basis.
Lots of damning information coming out these days in work-from-home situations. Turns out people are lazy when nobody is looking.

In my opinion, there are some jobs that probably can benefit from this type of arrangement. But it's a very small number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM
 
6,075 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Reputation: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Easy. If you use a general rule of thumb (not perfect) of 30% of your pre tax income on housing. That means on say a 100k income, you can afford up to 30k a year on rent. Or 2,500 a month. You can afford most neighborhoods in Boston with that rent.
thats 100k net, that means you need to be grossing well over 100k. Also 30% on housing is pretty steep if you are trying to save for a lay off/emergency fund or to start a buisness, pay off student loans at an accelerated pace.

Jobs are like the wind so when you are making good money you cant afford to **** 2500 away in rent and expect to get ahead. 2500 is alot of money even if you are netting 100k. Unless you litterally have no other bills or debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top