U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:06 PM

6,064 posts, read 2,492,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
For future reference - it isn't called the Purple Line, it's called the Commuter Rail.

The Orange Line goes through some very nice areas (and some mediocre, and not nice areas)

A lot of people living in the suburbs work in the suburbs. There's a lot of offices along 495 and 128. Many adjust their commute time to make it work. I don't know the proportion of jobs in the suburbs to jobs in the city, but it's probably still pretty high.

More and more offices are open to work-from-home. Successful businesses understand that "ass in seat time" doesn't correlate to profitability in today's service economy.
Regardless of what you call it it was super inconvenient lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:35 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
thats 100k net, that means you need to be grossing well over 100k. Also 30% on housing is pretty steep if you are trying to save for a lay off/emergency fund or to start a buisness, pay off student loans at an accelerated pace.

Jobs are like the wind so when you are making good money you cant afford to **** 2500 away in rent and expect to get ahead. 2500 is alot of money even if you are netting 100k. Unless you litterally have no other bills or debt.
If you are netting 100k and spend 30k a year on housing, then you have 70k left over. It's not much for a family (most are two earner now a days though). But for a single person, 70k is a lot to live on. Even going out to eat fairly regularly you can keep food costs under 10k. In Boston you don't need a car, but if you want one that's roughly 10k a year (gas, insurance, depreciation, etc). So 50k left over.

You can certainly save up lots of money with that kind of net even if you're spending 30k a year on housing. If you can't well your lifestyle is luxurious and over the top.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:52 PM

6,064 posts, read 2,492,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
If you are netting 100k and spend 30k a year on housing, then you have 70k left over. It's not much for a family (most are two earner now a days though). But for a single person, 70k is a lot to live on. Even going out to eat fairly regularly you can keep food costs under 10k. In Boston you don't need a car, but if you want one that's roughly 10k a year (gas, insurance, depreciation, etc). So 50k left over.

You can certainly save up lots of money with that kind of net even if you're spending 30k a year on housing. If you can't well your lifestyle is luxurious and over the top.
I agree, unless you have 50-70k in student debt, a car which should not be averaged out on an annual basis because lay offs are prolific (so in reality thats 30-40k upfront cost or pay off the loan in 2-3 years with a large down). Thats 100k right there. Insurance, gas, food, rail pass, all that stuff adds up. Also in reality if you are making that kind of money you probably have over 100k in student loans and accumulated interest over 5-7 years (you dont graduate netting 100k a year in most cases).

So if your job survives about 10 years or so to go through the low wage years of 50-60k a year gross up to over 100k.

The accumulated interest on student debt is brutal or a car. Plus I did not see a costco in Boston so I am guessing grocery bills will get steep as well.

If people did not have to worry about lay offs every holiday season then I would agree with you. But if you loose a 100k job the time and hassle it will take to replace it is high and you need to be able to ride out well over a year of regular and emergency expenses without breaking a sweat.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If people did not have to worry about lay offs every holiday season then I would agree with you. But if you loose a 100k job the time and hassle it will take to replace it is high and you need to be able to ride out well over a year of regular and emergency expenses without breaking a sweat.
Are you talking more about start up companies? Not every job is that volatile. I think the general rule of thumb is 6 to 12 months of expenses saved up in a savings account.

Any sort of hospital, professional services (accounting, banking, finance, etc), government, etc you don't have to constantly worry about layoffs.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:40 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Easy. If you use a general rule of thumb (not perfect) of 30% of your pre tax income on housing. That means on say a 100k income, you can afford up to 30k a year on rent. Or 2,500 a month. You can afford most neighborhoods in Boston with that rent.
The 30% rule of thumb is more for mortgages. If you are renting, 25% is usually considered the upper limit.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We aren't talking about living there. We're talking about getting on a train there. I was at red line stops for basketball leagues for years down there, its not a big deal. I never felt "unsafe" because... why would I? What does that mean to people if it isn't "sketchy people" being about (usually a code for young male POC).

I would absolutely have lived there to if it had the amenities and transit to where I needed to work as well, but I worked on the orange line, so a very non-white section of East Somerville is where I mostly lived.

OP also seems curious about the neighborhood in general, and this discussion has certainly involved all things Mattapan.

And no. When many if not most people say "sketchy", that is what they mean. A small degree of awareness and street smarts will sniff it out. Of course a few will have racial bias, but...

Old 03-15-2018, 10:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Statistically most individuals in Boston make like 40k a year with median household income of of 57k m.

21% of the city lives below the poverty line, as do 42% of children in Roxbury Dorchester and Mattapan and 30% of children citywide.

grandfathered in to family owned housing (south of the mass pike)

Live in what WERE/ARE low rent community's where adult immigrants split rents (east Boston Lynn Chelsea revere Mattapan Malden)

Live in moderately priced decent enough old homes 280-460k ( Everett medford west milton Brockton Randolph Revere Lynn Peabody Hyde park roslindale dorchester roxbury Quincy)

Elderly (Mattapan Roslindale)

In a community trust co/op type home (roxbury dorchester)

section 8(city wide)

have 2 roommates (Allston/Fenway/Watertown)

bought in the 80s/90s, live in public housing (south end/Hyde Park/Cambridge/Charlestown)

Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The 30% rule of thumb is more for mortgages. If you are renting, 25% is usually considered the upper limit.
Although for an expensive city like Boston, it might be reasonable to push the precentage.

The issue with those ballpark numbers is that they are just that, ballpark numbers. If you have kids to feed, student loans and cars then the number especially if renting will need to be lower. If not, then it could conceivably be higher.

And in a city like Boston, you might have to make rent a higher precentage, because it is so expensive. But you could also live in a place where a car would not be needed. Not having a car is a huge savings that could be applied to rent. Beetween gas, car payment, taxes, matinence, insurance, you could easily pay 500 bucks a month or more to own a car. Drop that, and you could apply the 500 dollars towards rent.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Quote:
NYC is acutally statistically one of the safest big cities in the US. Sure much of the Bronx is ugly, but it's not that unsafe.

For comparison sake, NYC had just under 800 shootings last year. Chicago, with 1/3 of NYC's population, had 2,758 shootings last year.

Looking at homicides, in 2017 NYC had 290. Chicago with 1/3 the population had 644. And in 1990 NYC reported 2,245 murders, so the drop in crime during the last 25 years or so in NYC has been remarkable.
Boston had about 270 shootings and 60 homicides. Per capital roughly 3x or 4x more deadly than NYC

Old 03-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston had about 270 shootings and 60 homicides. Per capital roughly 3x or 4x more deadly than NYC
But still a 3 to 4x safer then a place like Baltimore or Chicago.

NYC as a whole is actually remarkably safe when looking at violent crime. I think the worst parts of the NYC metro area are actually right over the boarder in Jersey. Newark has a higher crime rate then the Bronx, and the Bronx has the most violent crime per capita out of all of the boroughs.

Last edited by tysmith95; 03-16-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or