U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't buy into the idea that if you aren't involved with gangs or drugs, and you mind your own business, that you'll be fine in these rough areas. No, you won't have a problem every time but sooner or later you will.

There have been times where I've felt very uncomfortable at Ruggles. Jackson Square also.
If you feel uncomfortable at Ruggles, then you are truly a wilting flower ... Those dangerous Northeastern students are very scary ... especially when they haven't had their Subway sandwiches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:50 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
If you feel uncomfortable at Ruggles, then you are truly a wilting flower ... Those dangerous Northeastern students are very scary ... especially when they haven't had their Subway sandwiches!
Ruggles is right next to the BPD headquarters.

But yah there are a couple of low income housing projects in the area, so I wouldn't call it 100% safe. Someone from a leafy burb might consider it sketchy, but for someone used to cities it isn't that bad.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:23 PM

2,277 posts, read 581,238 times
Quote:
I don't buy into the idea that if you aren't involved with gangs or drugs, and you mind your own business, that you'll be fine in these rough areas. No, you won't have a problem every time but sooner or later you will.

There have been times where I've felt very uncomfortable at Ruggles. Jackson Square also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post

Ever been to Ruggles at night? Didn't think so...

Old 03-16-2018, 05:50 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
Ever been to Ruggles at night? Didn't think so...

Almost weekly for years. Why?

The posters raise a good question, do you live in fear of anything different from yourself? It surely seems like it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-17-2018 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-17-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The posters raise a good question, do you live in fear of anything different from yourself? It surely seems like it.
So, if someone has ever felt uncomfortable in a crime/drug/gang-ridden area, that person must be either a racist or scared of his/her own shadow?

Here's the thing...

Some people don't enjoy having to constantly be on guard. In my opinion, that's no way to live. And, make no mistake, it's not the same as being aware of your surroundings.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:11 PM

For those interested in the Ruggles discussion, here's a thread from 7 years ago: Is Mission Hill safe?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 PM

11,315 posts, read 5,839,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
But still a 3 to 4x safer then a place like Baltimore or Chicago.
Yeah, but Baltimore Inner Harbor and the neighborhoods southwest of there are safe and affluent. The violent crime is largely confined to the poorest parts of the city. That's true pretty much everywhere. This thread is about Mattapan. That's the poorest part of Boston and the highest violent crime risk. The more square miles of poor areas, the more crime. Boston doesn't have anything like the volume of poor people in the highest crime rate cities. Too much of the city is gentrified.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:15 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
So, if someone has ever felt uncomfortable in a crime/drug/gang-ridden area, that person must be either a racist or scared of his/her own shadow?

I see you can't answer a direct question, and only respond with insults and other questions. In other words, you can't engage in discussions. You nit pick grammar, and look for FOUR FREAKING YEARS of threads to find something to complain about, so yes, it seems you live paranoid and scared of your own shadow.

The only thing I ever had to be aware of at Mattapan or Ruggles stops was if I was on the right side of the platform. Because, I am not scarred of my own shadow, and I wasn't doing anything sketchy.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,795,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I spent large chunks of my life hanging out and living in Mattapan, Egleston Sq, Dudley Sq, Jackson Sq, etc. Trust me, I could show you parts of Chicago that make these areas look like Newton. Nothing posted here is “fraud” unless being in areas that are majority black really frightens you that much. Truth is you’re highly unlikely to be victimized, especially if you’re not a black or brown male who may be misidentified as being a local gang member. My white female roommate liked off of Cummings Highway for years with no issues.
Hartford and Bridgeport in Connecticut would also make Mattapan look like Newton. When I lived in Quincy I used that bike path along the trolley line as well as the streets between River Street and the trolley line for for jogging. I never felt unsafe in the slightest in that area.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Hartford and Bridgeport in Connecticut would also make Mattapan look like Newton.
This is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or