U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Hartford and Bridgeport in Connecticut would also make Mattapan look like Newton. When I lived in Quincy I used that bike path along the trolley line as well as the streets between River Street and the trolley line for for jogging. I never felt unsafe in the slightest in that area.
Along that trolley line you're basically in Milton.

If you can tell me that you walk down Blue Hill Ave every day and still feel totally safe then you'd have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

2,267 posts, read 578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Even in a place like Mattapan the chance of anything happening to you is fairly low. I guess that getting mugged is a valid concern, but that's about it.
Quote:
And with regards to violent crime, violent crime from random people on the street is extremely rare and not something to worry about.
Getting mugged is not a violent crime?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Serious question: anyone here ever been mugged? Anywhere at any time?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:30 PM

2,267 posts, read 578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I haven't been mugged.

I'm baffled by some of the comments in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea but if you get mugged for $20 once in a while vs over paying by hundreds of thousands for a house ....
Quote:
And you could get mugged once a month and you would still be ahead money wise versus paying inflated rents in a place like Cambridge.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I haven't been mugged.

I'm baffled by some of the comments in this thread:
Yeah strange comments. I haven't been mugged either, but know a few people who have (in Boston too). None of them think of it as a mere sunken cost. Bizarre. Nobody factors in the cost of muggings weighed against cost of living.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 PM

Boston had 1530 robberies in 2016. I believe that robberies include both holding up a store and muggings. Still if we assume that it's just muggings, then you have a 0.2 percent chance of getting robbed as a Boston resident. But that's also assuming that everyone that was mugged was a Boston resident, I don't know the exact numbers but i'm sure that the number of people who transverse Boston on any given day is a good bit higher then the number of people who live in the city.

And weighing the cost of muggings against the cost of living, i'm weird.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:50 PM

3,783 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Quote:
Serious answer: almost. I was walking home from the Lowell train station after a day of work and night classes in Boston. I was carrying a large backpack with my books and stuff. A sketchy individual was at a pay phone, saw me, hung up the phone and started to follow me. I was approaching a fork in the road. My street was the fork to the right. I started down my street and he continued to follow me. I then abruptly cut through a parking lot over to the left fork and looped around the building/business. I then saw him hoofing it down my street to the next cross street where he cut left. He was going to try to cut me off assuming I was going to proceed further down the left fork. I then walked back to my place at a brisk pace. I never did see that individual again.

For those interested and familiar with Lowell, this occurred at the intersection of Branch and Middlesex streets in the lower highlands neighborhood around ten to twelve years ago. It was a little unnerving but I knew the neighborhood and kept my wits about me.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 03-18-2018 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:

No, its super rare, and the people that I do know who have been "mugged", well, they were trying to procure stuff IYKWIM, so they weren't randoms.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 AM

1,323 posts, read 675,240 times
Quote:
Boston had 1530 robberies in 2016. I believe that robberies include both holding up a store and muggings. Still if we assume that it's just muggings, then you have a 0.2 percent chance of getting robbed as a Boston resident. But that's also assuming that everyone that was mugged was a Boston resident, I don't know the exact numbers but i'm sure that the number of people who transverse Boston on any given day is a good bit higher then the number of people who live in the city.

And weighing the cost of muggings against the cost of living, i'm weird.
So if you do a monthly budget do you have food, rent maybe the dentist and then mugging?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
So if you do a monthly budget do you have food, rent maybe the dentist and then mugging?
My most valuable asset that I regularly carry around is my cell phone. I almost never carry more then 50 or 60 bucks in cash.

Monthly budget for mugging would be theft insurance for my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or