Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,328,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
I suppose to sum everything up about what I have read is that people love it up there, there is a ton to do, and the outdoors and city are great. The decision would come to down to if it is truly a good career opportunity which could lead to better jobs either in that city or other cities later. The $88k does seem a little lower, and I have read that Wayfair is notorious for paying lower than other places. Even if I got them to $90k it does seem like it would be a stretch, perhaps. Finally, is the whole pain in the ass moving experience even worth all that. Time will tell. You all have certainly helped with info.

Note: Let's get off the beer topic for now please.
Looks like your questions have been answered. You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 AM

44 posts, read 43,581 times
It's all good, I just want you all to quit talking about beer and who wins lol. It's not my hometown anyway so I don't take offense. My true hometown is Fayetteville, Arkansas. I like beer everywhere.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,743,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
No. Chance. Right. Back. At. You.

Europeans? Who cares? They don't really have great beer there compared to America, which has an unbeatable brew scene. Perhaps you don't realize that New England is the closest point to Europe in the USA? Yes of course New England has better beer than Europe. But that's a low bar.

New England overall is below many other parts of the country. Sorry.

Wait, what? This is just. What? Belgium alone trips just about everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
EDIT: From Chicago. Just moved back from Chicago as a matter of fact. The beer scene Chicagloand is >>>>>> GR, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus combined IMO, though beer advocate has Chi and GR at the top of the Midwest. Shout out to MO who has been doing some good beers.
Well, this isn't really debatable.

The other urban areas in the Midwest have some good ones. Toppling Goliath, for one example. But it's nothing like the Burlington VT area, or Portland ME, areas for example.

New England probably is 1-2 for best regions. With the only two other regions that can compete are the San Diego area of California, and Nor Cal (SF to Russian River). Pretty much every ranking scale confirms that, or you could just use your eyes (and taste buds).

Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM

4,998 posts, read 3,851,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wait, what? This is just. What?
Tell that to a Belgian or a German.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM

4,998 posts, read 3,851,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
It's all good, I just want you all to quit talking about beer and who wins lol. It's not my hometown anyway so I don't take offense. My true hometown is Fayetteville, Arkansas. I like beer everywhere.
Sorry, OP.

Obviously, COL is the significant puzzle that needs to be solved. I think you'll love it here, but if the COL undercuts the QOL you're accustomed to- car, ability to travel, ability to go out as frequently- than maybe you can reevaluate. Use a COL vs. COL calculator online. A competitor site or two have some good ones that are semi-reliable.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 AM

44 posts, read 43,581 times
Thanks. I suppose the main thing to evaluate is would this opportunity, even with QOL decreasing a little, allow me to have a better QOL later down the road. That will be determined. A visit there next weekend will def help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Sorry, OP.

Obviously, COL is the significant puzzle that needs to be solved. I think you'll love it here, but if the COL undercuts the QOL you're accustomed to- car, ability to travel, ability to go out as frequently- than maybe you can reevaluate. Use a COL vs. COL calculator online. A competitor site or two have some good ones that are semi-reliable.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Wait, what? This is just. What? Belgium alone trips just about everywhere.

Nope. I mean hey you can like Belgian style beer. But this notion that Europe is so much better than America for beer is antiquated. If you know anything about brewing, you see a lot of Europe following America now. The Europhiles hate to admit this.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,743,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Nope. I mean hey you can like Belgian style beer. But this notion that Europe is so much better than America for beer is antiquated. If you know anything about brewing, you see a lot of Europe following America now. The Europhiles hate to admit this.

I'm sorry, but Cantillon is still considered one of, if not the best, brewery in the world. That's just for starters.

It does seem like you do no know much about beer. Also, I never said Europe is so much better. Never said it. That is different than saying they don't have great beer compared to the U.S. That is patently incorrect.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,213,131 times
European macro brewers are a good bit better then American macro brewers. But Europe does not have the microbrewery and craft brew scene that the US has.

20 years ago that huge craft brew scene barley existed, and you would be right in saying that European beer was better.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Cantillon is still considered one of, if not the best, brewery in the world. That's just for starters.

It does seem like you do no know much about beer. Also, I never said Europe is so much better. Never said it. That is different than saying they don't have great beer compared to the U.S. That is patently incorrect.
Lol the insufferable arrogance rears its ugly head yet again. I appreciate the consistency.

You really are into hive mind I can tell. You subscribe to just about the most conventional views of beer I've seen. And most things in general.

Enjoy arguing with yourself and making trite sarcastic remarks to everyone who disagrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston