Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM

652 posts, read 749,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFriar View Post
Anybody know what the commute from Watertown to BMC would be like?

While driving, that is.
Terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Yeah, this is just a tough area to commute to. I played basketball at the gym in the BMC for a few years, and it was just a straight up PITA. I much preferred the Roxbury gyms for access.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:11 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
What about Savin Hill/Upham's Corner area? Take the 8 or walk 1.5 miles.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:01 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,555,950 times
I was being recruited for a contract job at BMC. I live southwest of the city. Getting there was an issue. Could take commuter train into the city but no T subway line stop near hospital. Could possibly do a long walk on nice weather days but the other option appeared to be a bus from either Ruggles or Back Bay. Position and salary did not ultimately end up as was first proposed. Declined it based on pay but commute was also a factor. Would have had to pay really well for me to do that commute.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:25 PM

122 posts, read 167,699 times
While I wouldn't want to commute too far, neither would I live smack dab in methadone mile just because it's close. You can afford a better neighborhood, so why not?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFriar View Post
Just landed a job at BMC, as someone that’s only lived on the North Shore, I’m pretty clueless on where to live as it pertains to commuting to somewhere in the South End.

My big priorities are that I need a place dog friendly, with off street parking. And I’m fairly finicky about wanting a dishwasher and laundry that isn’t coin-op.

Job pays $90k per year, so I figure $2k per month in rent is about right.

Parking looks like it’d be $180 per month at work. While it wouldn’t kill me, I think I might prefer to take the T or get a place within walking distance.

So with all that said, what’s everyone thoughts on me finding a place with my somewhat stringent demands on somewhere that I could live? It looks like 720 Harrison Ave is somewhat a dead zone for the T? Any thoughts on the bus and where would be a good place to live that the bus could reliably take me to and from?
Won't meet all of your requirements, perhaps, but what about St. Botolph Street and its side streets? Charming area, and only 15 minutes on foot to BMC or just walk up to Massachusetts Avenue for the #1 bus.

St. Stephen's Street,, Gainsborough Street and Edgerly Road as well as 12 Stoneholm Street are near Symphony Hall and a small Whole Foods Market near the St. Botolph area. 91 Westland is an older building but might suffice. And not as many students in that East Fenway neighborhood as years ago, perhaps. Expensive unlike years ago.

Not sure about parking other than a Back Bay resident sticker. By the way, it's not Back Bay, but near.

Lived there for five years in a simple affordable studio from 1985-1990. So lucky to live there when affordable.
Now it's even nicer with plenty of young professionals.

St. Germain Street between the Prudentual building and Massachusetts Avenue is petite but lovely. I think maybe one realtor controls most rentals.

The Greenhouse apartments on Huntington Ave. are $$ but should have parking for rent.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
The issue with finding something within walking distance to BMC is that BMC itself is at the center of methadone mile.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The issue with finding something within walking distance to BMC is that BMC itself is at the center of methadone mile.
Yep, basically. Depends on what you value more. Kinda a Catch 22.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yep, basically. Depends on what you value more. Kinda a Catch 22.
I think the South End is weird. It has what I think is the most beautiful streets in Boston. But it also has what I think is the sketchiest part of Boston.

It reminds me of San Francisco. You have lots of homeless people only blocks away from some of the most desirable real estate in the country.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3366...2!8i6656?hl=en

You have lots of streets like this in the South End that are beautiful. But only 2 blocks away there are people shooting up in the open. I can't really think of any other neighborhood in Boston that is like that.

So in conclusion, I think that the South End is both the nicest neighborhood in Boston and the sketchiest neighborhood in Boston. It just depends on what part you're in. I've never actually lived in the area, so I can't tell you exactly how far the drug addicts and homeless wander from the Methadone Mile. But those couple of streets surrounding BMC have gotten worse ever since Long Island was closed.

I remember the sketchiest feeling I've ever experienced in Boston is a bunch of homeless people coming up to me while I was pumping gas at the Mobil next to the Mcdonalds in that area (technically Roxbury but it's right on the border). And I've been all over Boston, and I find that area to be the worst in the region. And I'm a young male, the majority of Dorchester does not bother me.

Last edited by tysmith95; 03-21-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think the South End is weird. It has what I think is the most beautiful streets in Boston. But it also has what I think is the sketchiest part of Boston.

It reminds me of San Francisco. You have lots of homeless people only blocks away from some of the most desirable real estate in the country.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3366...2!8i6656?hl=en

You have lots of streets like this in the South End that are beautiful. But only 2 blocks away there are people shooting up in the open. I can't really think of any other neighborhood in Boston that is like that.

So in conclusion, I think that the South End is both the nicest neighborhood in Boston and the sketchiest neighborhood in Boston. It just depends on what part you're in. I've never actually lived in the area, so I can't tell you exactly how far the drug addicts and homeless wander from the Methadone Mile. But those couple of streets surrounding BMC have gotten worse ever since Long Island was closed.

I remember the sketchiest feeling I've ever experienced in Boston is a bunch of homeless people coming up to me while I was pumping gas at the Mobil next to the Mcdonalds in that area (technically Roxbury but it's right on the border). And I've been all over Boston, and I find that area to be the worst in the region. And I'm a young male, the majority of Dorchester does not bother me.
Agreed with this. Honestly, if I had the money (which I certainly do not), I wouldn't live in the South End. I just have seen some weird stuff there, don't need to live around it. Friend lives there and more than once I've been semi coherently yelled at by people I don't know just loitering around. Went to a wedding down there and someone tried to steal things out of the venue as I was helping pack some stuff up to go. Not to mention the drug addicts you'll see walking around (who I really sympathize and feel horribly for, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's not ideal to live around).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston