Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,610,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyinBoston View Post

Boston has way more finance jobs then CLT, Boston is more "accepting" of people from different towns/states/areas than CLT. CLT def has a "southern boys network" feel; Boston has its own challenges but you DON'T have to go to BU/BC or Harvard to get a job here.
Heavily Boston College at the top of many of the financial service companies in Boston and very "old boy" network in its own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 AM

66 posts, read 81,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Heavily Boston College at the top of many of the financial service companies in Boston and very "old boy" network in its own right.
Nothing compared to CLT......

Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM

6,450 posts, read 7,756,767 times
Sometimes I wish I were an old boy.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM

66 posts, read 81,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Sometimes I wish I were an old boy.
lol....nah

Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM

6,668 posts, read 5,880,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Purely discussion purpose here. Who do you think has a larger (or faster growing/more opportunity) hub for finance? Boston or Charlotte, NC? Hubs and I have been in discussion about this for a few days and can't come to a conclusion.

Charlotte imo is a faster growing city for young people but I wouldnt count them mostly as finance employees. Plus the bathroom bill caused a small hit as far as companies second guessing coming here.

Boston is more establish as a city itself and therefore I think a larger hub for more established finance companies and employees. I feel like Charlotte would be a more transient city for people trying to get in then transfer out.. Maybe I'm way off lol... what are your opinions.
I'm curious how much this bathroom thing hurt North Carolina. Do you have any solid information or links to support "caused a small hit"? How big of a hit was it, exactly? How many companies pulled out or are boycotting?

What about Charlotte's counter-ordinance in support of trans rights that they enacted in 2016? Wouldn't that neutralize any effects of the state's law? (Though, Charlotte city council was accused of violating state law.)

As a long time resident of the Boston area, formerly employed in the downtown financial district, I have always considered it a very exciting and stimulating urban area for young people in their 20s and 30s. It has tremendous cultural offerings and great opportunities for educational and professional advancement. The technology sector is very strong, with lots of startups around MIT and elsewhere. All the top technology companies have offices here, mostly near MIT (Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.).

But if you are looking to settle down, buy a house, and raise a family, eastern Mass. is suddenly less advantageous. Charlotte with its $250K homes and milder weather sounds much more appealing, even if you have to take a salary hit. I just looked it up: average 4.3 inches a year of snowfall, versus average 43.8 inches of snowfall in Boston.

The thing is, if you want to own your own home and raise a family, you will take a huge hit in Massachusetts, especially in top school districts, where houses are going for $600K and up (if you can even find one). We got priced out of Lexington and barely got into Bedford ($584K), for example. Proximity to the city costs money.

North Carolina is a beautiful state with lots of hunting, fishing, hiking, and boating opportunities. Not to take away from Mass., but NC's milder climate means more outdoor opportunities, apart from skiing.

Both Massachusetts and NC grew in population between 2010 and 2017, with Mass. growing 4.77% (312,190 people) and NC growing 7.74% (737,936 people).

I hope I haven't wandered off the topic too much. I don't think you can really compare the two metro areas. Both have tremendous advantages obviously.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,816,397 times
[quote=blisterpeanuts;51899130]
North Carolina is a beautiful state...

Is it? Lots of piney landscapes with little brick houses, truck stops. Nice beaches. Mountains in the west are beautiful although not quite like NH. In between— well, you can have it. Mass is only one of six states in the region plus NY and Canadian territory adjoining. It’s not like you can’t cross state lines for fishing, climbing, etc.

Barbecue very good in NC, also black people everywhere not like up north. Great that way🙂

Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM

23,263 posts, read 18,425,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What about Charlotte's counter-ordinance in support of trans rights that they enacted in 2016? Wouldn't that neutralize any effects of the state's law? (Though, Charlotte city council was accused of violating state law.)
You got it backwards. The state passed its law as a counter to Charlotte's bathroom ordinance, after the liberals in that city exploited a loophole in state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston