Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 PM

3,629 posts, read 4,458,185 times

Advertisements

I've only been here for 4 weeks but feel like i can chime in.

When exiting the T and on escalators going up, keep to the right if you're standing so people can walk past you on the left.

The subway system is easy but the green line is IMO the most confusing because it branches off a lot, and at first i got confused a few times about inbound vs outbound trains. But you get used to it pretty quick.

I've never felt unsafe here. I've walked extensively around Boston, Somerville and Cambridge but admittedly haven't even been to Dorchester yet, which is in my experience. widely seen as the worst section of Boston (but not all of it).

I haven't noticed any quirks for walking on sidewalks but i generally keep to the right. Jaywalking is common especially on sidestreets and smaller streets, not as common on busy wider avenues and highways.

FYI, the T is so easy that in my 2nd week here a fellow out of towner asked how to get from Gov't Center to North End while i was waiting for the next train. I was able to tell him just 1 stop in the next train to Haymarket. Boston is an easy, manageable city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 11:26 AM

9,795 posts, read 7,069,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1000 View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice I feel more at ease about navigating the city. As far as sightseeing I plan on walking around and visiting the city's tourist attractions such as Faniuel Hall. I also plan to do the freedom trail but a question I would have about that is how worth while of an attraction is this because some people have told me that it's a gimmick and a tourist trap. While other people have told be it's an excellent attraction.
The great thing about the Freedom Trail is that it's FREE so IMHO, that disqualifies it as tourist trap. You get the tour pamphlet and follow the red line from place to place. And it goes by so many other great attractions, shops, restaurants, et al, that it makes for a fun time. Yes there are mainly tourists on it but as i said, it's free and self guided that you can start and quit whenever you want.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:08 PM

4,561 posts, read 4,807,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
You may need to be aware of bicyclists on sidewalks at times!

Very annoying and dangerous, at least to me. Not sure if it's illegal, though.

And if you're expecting most everyone to have a Boston accent, you'll be surprised, as most walking downtown aren't from here or even from America.
It's illegal to ride on a sidewalk in a business district. It's legal everywhere else though

Old 05-12-2018, 06:51 PM

127 posts, read 146,092 times
Overall much safer and more walkable than Chicago.

As for MBTA vs CTA, our city is smaller and the system is much older. Each MBTA subway line has its own dedicated rolling stock (train cars) and platforms unlike some systems such as MARTA (Atlanta) or D.C. The silver line they try to pass off as being rail service but it’s really rapid bus transit with fewer stops and part of the route is on a dedicated busway.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,076,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's illegal to ride on a sidewalk in a business district. It's legal everywhere else though
I'd double check that. I'm pretty sure its city wide.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 AM

4,561 posts, read 4,807,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'd double check that. I'm pretty sure its city wide.
Depends on how "business district" is defined

MGL Ch 85:
Quote:
Section 11B. Every person operating a bicycle upon a way, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, shall have the right to use all public ways in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting bicycles have been posted, and shall be subject to the traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth and the special regulations contained in this section, except that: (1) the bicycle operator may keep to the right when passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the way, (2) the bicycle operator shall signal by either hand his intention to stop or turn; provided, however, that signals need not be made continuously and shall not be made when the use of both hands is necessary for the safe operation of the bicycle, and (3) bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks outside business districts when necessary in the interest of safety, unless otherwise directed by local ordinance. A person operating a bicycle on the sidewalk shall yield the right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian
Cambridge says don't ride on the sidewalk in any major square.

Boston says:
Quote:
You are allowed ride your bike on the sidewalk in Boston, but we encourage you to use the street. If you choose to ride on the sidewalk, you should ride slowly and carefully and always yield to pedestrians.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:05 AM

Hmm.
https://www.universalhub.com/2018/we...torrow-herself
as a cyclist and a motor vehicle operator, as well as pedestrian let me whole heartily say ...Don't be a D1ck.
Please don't ride on the sidewalk.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,384,387 times
Just be aware of Red Sox games if they're at home if you're taking the T. The Green Line will be a problem when people are going to or from (especially after) the game.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,339,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Hmm.
https://www.universalhub.com/2018/we...torrow-herself
as a cyclist and a motor vehicle operator, as well as pedestrian let me whole heartily say ...Don't be a D1ck.
Please don't ride on the sidewalk.
She has earphones in too!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
She has earphones in too!
Shes pretty much the poster child for the tourists i hate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston