Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 11:08 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What about renting in the Boston area?

Sell the house, put the money in the bank and earn 2.2% interest, and use the interest to pay a significant portion of your rent. No property taxes, no home repairs, huge bank account.

Seems to me that this would work well in the current market.
You would still be net negative over time because of inflation. Real estate is still a great long term hedge against inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 11:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Real estate is still a great long term hedge against inflation.
I feel that this can't be overstated right now. My sense is that inflation is considerably out on front of the government manipulated metrics.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:28 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I feel that this can't be overstated right now. My sense is that inflation is considerably out on front of the government manipulated metrics.

Why do you think they're manipulated? They keep the same formula... the problem has been with the formula itself, which has traditionally undervalued such things like energy costs in the overall equation, but its a valuable index, just like the unemployment rate (which is effectively manipulation proof) being a great relative index.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
There is no way I can find a similar setup to what I have for even double my mortgage in the current state of rental prices.
Good deal: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-36730?view=qv

Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
No Thanks.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why do you think they're manipulated? They keep the same formula... the problem has been with the formula itself, which has traditionally undervalued such things like energy costs in the overall equation, but its a valuable index, just like the unemployment rate (which is effectively manipulation proof) being a great relative index.
The government manipulates via the basket of goods used to determine CPI, which they can and do edit. As you pointed out, key drivers such as food and energy are probably under weighted. This certainly makes the CPI as a means of determining inflation less accurate. Both parties have a vested interest in low and managed inflation. How much this under represents real inflation is a much more detailed discussion and I don't pretend to have all the answers.

In terms of this thread there is no doubt that inflation is on the rise, whether you use government statistics or base it on your personal day to day expenses living in this area. As pointed out, real estate is one of the best hedges against inflation.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:19 PM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Real estate is still a great long term hedge against inflation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
As pointed out, real estate is one of the best hedges against inflation.
Generally speaking, perhaps. But buying into a bubble (i.e. the current Boston market) isn't, IMO.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
What about renting in the Boston area?

Sell the house, put the money in the bank and earn 2.2% interest, and use the interest to pay a significant portion of your rent. No property taxes, no home repairs, huge bank account.

Seems to me that this would work well in the current market.
First, the math on these sorts of calculations is always sort of dodgy. The own/rent spread isn't likely big enough to cover all the transaction costs associated with selling your house and moving. What's far more likely is that you'll go from a dwelling that's worth $3000/month to a dwelling that's worth $2000/month. That's a reasonable thing to do if you can't afford the $3000/month, but more than likely you'll take a hit in the quality of your life.

And for what? To possible hit the bottom of the real estate market? The risk being that this isn't the top and that you'll end up moving, and living somewhere worse than you are now, all to make 2.2% in interest on your home equity?

Who thinks like this? I place a high value on having somewhere permanent to live. I did the move every year nomad life and it's OK, but moving is hassle, as is looking for a new place to live, as is waiting on a landlord to fix stuff, as is having to ask a landlord when you want to change stuff. If you don't like having a house and paying property taxes (directly to the city/town, as opposed to through the landlord to the city/town) and for home maintenance (again, at least directly), this plan makes sense. It's not an investment decision, though, it's a personal decision.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:57 PM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
First, the math on these sorts of calculations is always sort of dodgy. The own/rent spread isn't likely big enough to cover all the transaction costs associated with selling your house and moving. What's far more likely is that you'll go from a dwelling that's worth $3000/month to a dwelling that's worth $2000/month. That's a reasonable thing to do if you can't afford the $3000/month, but more than likely you'll take a hit in the quality of your life.

And for what? To possible hit the bottom of the real estate market? The risk being that this isn't the top and that you'll end up moving, and living somewhere worse than you are now, all to make 2.2% in interest on your home equity?

Who thinks like this? I place a high value on having somewhere permanent to live. I did the move every year nomad life and it's OK, but moving is hassle, as is looking for a new place to live, as is waiting on a landlord to fix stuff, as is having to ask a landlord when you want to change stuff. If you don't like having a house and paying property taxes (directly to the city/town, as opposed to through the landlord to the city/town) and for home maintenance (again, at least directly), this plan makes sense. It's not an investment decision, though, it's a personal decision.
I do.

Hypothetically, let's say I have 1 million dollars, no place to live, and a desire to live in the Boston area. What would you suggest?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
I do.

Hypothetically, let's say I have 1 million dollars, no place to live, and a desire to live in the Boston area. What would you suggest?
It would all depend on how long I planned on staying. Renting is basically pissing your money away, but unless you plan on spending a minimum of 5 years then it's tough to come out ahead when owning unless you plan on renting it out down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston