Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Briefly:

Bring money. Lots and lots of money.

You will pay shockingly high housing costs, for very poor quality housing. If you think you can stretch and get nicer housing for more money, you will be disappointed; you'll pay more, but it won't be any nicer.

Most everything else costs about the same as in the rest of the USA except of course for the parking issues in the close-in areas; which really are driven by the same things as the housing costs.

The Boston area is a fantastic area to live, but the housing situation really sucks, unless you have enough money to get into the million dollar plus category.

I could stay here forever, but the housing conundrum is just insoluble for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Do it OP, It's easy!

I'm joking a little but hey, many people do live here and they're not dead. And they ain't all rich either. I mean I am rich (and stunningly good looking) but will take liberty and speak on behalf of the peasantry for this post. You'll likely need room mates and yes, the dogs will be an issue. I personally am a dog lover so don't understand why it would be an issue...I'd think it would be a plus? Idiots abound.

Anyway, look on line to get a sense of the job market and rental costs and come for a visit. You'll probably like it. What's the worst that can happen? You'll have to go back to Kansas with your tail between your legs and losing some money...so what? I say go for it. In your spare time hang out in the Longwood Medical area and find yourself a nice Surgeon.

Here's what my crystal ball tells me. You'll find a place, you'll get a job, you'll be surrounded by eggheads with higher degrees and be inspired by all the universities, you'll think about applying for grad school and how you can swing it, you'll apply and get accepted (yay...congrats to the future you!) and go part time, you'll think it sucks because it's so hard to work and go to grad school, you'll graduate, you'll jump jobs and grow professionally, things will be far from ideal but you'll be satisfied.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and give your dogs a belly rub for me.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Do it OP, It's easy!

I'm joking a little but hey, many people do live here and they're not dead. And they ain't all rich either. I mean I am rich (and stunningly good looking) but will take liberty and speak on behalf of the peasantry for this post. You'll likely need room mates and yes, the dogs will be an issue. I personally am a dog lover so don't understand why it would be an issue...I'd think it would be a plus? Idiots abound.

Anyway, look on line to get a sense of the job market and rental costs and come for a visit. You'll probably like it. What's the worst that can happen? You'll have to go back to Kansas with your tail between your legs and losing some money...so what? I say go for it. In your spare time hang out in the Longwood Medical area and find yourself a nice Surgeon.

Here's what my crystal ball tells me. You'll find a place, you'll get a job, you'll be surrounded by eggheads with higher degrees and be inspired by all the universities, you'll think about applying for grad school and how you can swing it, you'll apply and get accepted (yay...congrats to the future you!) and go part time, you'll think it sucks because it's so hard to work and go to grad school, you'll graduate, you'll jump jobs and grow professionally, things will be far from ideal but you'll be satisfied.

Seriously... this is JUST what I needed to hear! I really appreciate the encouragement. I agree coming back to KS and losing some money is not the end of the world if that just so happens. More than likely I'll succeed though and fall in love with Boston!

Old 09-25-2018, 04:57 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Do it OP, It's easy!

Yep, more than a few forum members welcome interested parties with dire talk of the slimmest of odds of happiness and well-being here... anyone should do their homework thoroughly, and work to minimize the issues that can arise and maximize the chances of success. But don't be suckered in by anyone who doesn't even know you telling your future - whether they are dead sure it will be a piece of cake and work out awesome for you, or are dead sure that you will experience trials of Biblical proportions and rue the day you ever heard of Massachusetts, they are just some person on the internet. Good to listen to all but take all input with a healthy grain of salt and keep on researching and thinking.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM

17,732 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara32 View Post
Some have asked about budget and so here's what I'm thinking. If it's unrealistic let me have it haha. Currently I make about $42,000/yr and my mortgage is $650/month. Crazy right? I plan on keeping my home and renting it so I can have a little passive income. Hopefully I can find a job in the area for $45-$50,000/yr and rent a place for $1,500/month. Obviously I will have to live on a tighter budget with those margins but I think it just might be doable.
How much can you rent your Kansas house for? That seems to be the key here.

Have you looked into a job? Your 42k job in Kansas could be a 65k job in Boston. Or maybe not.

Do you have some savings that you can fall back on if necessary?

How do you feel about a roommate or 2? Heating bills in the winter and air conditioning bills in the summer can really add up. Being able to split them can make a big difference when on a tight budget.

Personally, I very much prefer no roommates. You may or may not feel the same way.

Boston is a really awesome city. It's not so much fun though if you're really struggling. Look into some of the stuff I mentioned. I wouldn't recommend the move if you're going to be in a position where you have to live off Ramen Noodles, can't ever go out and do anything, and would be constantly stressed about bills.

I have a feeling that you'll be just fine in Boston with your extra income from your Kansas house and likely increase in salary.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep, more than a few forum members welcome interested parties with dire talk of the slimmest of odds of happiness and well-being here... anyone should do their homework thoroughly, and work to minimize the issues that can arise and maximize the chances of success. But don't be suckered in by anyone who doesn't even know you telling your future - whether they are dead sure it will be a piece of cake and work out awesome for you, or are dead sure that you will experience trials of Biblical proportions and rue the day you ever heard of Massachusetts, they are just some person on the internet. Good to listen to all but take all input with a healthy grain of salt and keep on researching and thinking.
Profound stuff.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Bjimmy is giving you that real. You won’t be surrounded by eggheads because you’ll be living in the hood/townie areas ...for 1500 and 2 dogs you’ll be eating $4 vietnamese sandwiches as you wait for the 15 to take you to your second job all while standing in Fields Corner next to a 5 foot snow bank that’s black wth dirt and exhaust and yellow with junkie urine and dollar store pineapple soda. You’re telling me you’re gonna go from a 650/month mortgage to maybe hopefully 1500/month 100 year old tenement in an “up and coming” area for the hell of it? At 26 that could set you back 5/6 years...

Plain as day.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 PM

122 posts, read 167,852 times
Default $1500 is enough for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
$1500 will require roommates—if they accept ��.

$1k is average roommate rent in Boston proper.
I don't live in the city of Boston but do live within 4 miles of downtown and we pay $1600 for a big two bedrm apt, basically half a huge house. And the neighborhood is fine. Never had a problem in 2 years here. Unlike many cities, the Boston city limits are not the same as the urban area. Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Malden, and Chelsea are all urban.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:56 AM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Bjimmy is giving you that real. You won’t be surrounded by eggheads because you’ll be living in the hood/townie areas ...for 1500 and 2 dogs you’ll be eating $4 vietnamese sandwiches as you wait for the 15 to take you to your second job all while standing in Fields Corner next to a 5 foot snow bank that’s black wth dirt and exhaust and yellow with junkie urine and dollar store pineapple soda. You’re telling me you’re gonna go from a 650/month mortgage to maybe hopefully 1500/month 100 year old tenement in an “up and coming” area for the hell of it? At 26 that could set you back 5/6 years...

Plain as day.
But she could also pay $3000/mo to live in Cambridge in a 100 year old tenement with the eggheads while waiting for the 77 to Harvard Square next to a 5 foot snow bank that is black with dirt and exhaust and yellow with dog pee and embedded with dunk's cups and scratch offs. That is the beauty of Boston, wherever you go, you are still there. It is very egalitarian in that way. The only difference is the socioeconomic status of the people on the bus.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:24 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I lived in and around Cambridge from age 20 to 65. I wanted dogs very much but didn't get them until I owned a house and had a fenced yard.

Other cautionaries aside, I think renting with dogs will be the largest issue for OP. Best wishes, it's a great area to be 26! And it certainly is more progressive in general, especially coming from Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston