Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,066 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm from Wichita, Kansas. I grew up around here and been here my whole life; 26 years! I want to try something new and have decided upon moving to Boston. I have a specific job currently here in economic development that I've been doing for 6 years but I would like to do something more exciting when I move. I have a bachelor's degree in business admin. I also have two dogs that I for sure would like to bring with me. I have a goal to be out there by August 2019. Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 02:31 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Well right off the bat, to be blunt: your quality of life will go down, you will not get as much for your dollar. To maintain whatever you're used to now, you will feel pressure to work more hours. You also likely won't get a job easily, as there is already lots of talent here with more qualifications than you. You will struggle to find a place that will take your dogs. You will also likely struggle to fit in socially, having not grown up in new England or gone to college here (unless you have some connections here you haven't mentioned).

Why Boston namely and not say Chicago or minneapolis? A lot of the pluses of Boston would be equally as plus for any major urban area over a place like Wichita, unless there is something specific about Boston you want (certainly possible). Not to be too discouraging, I moved here from Ohio 6 years ago. But I was also moving from nothing, just the life of a broke student to a broke recent grad. It would be a lot tougher if I had been used to a certain standard of living.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:42 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
op what made you decide on Boston?? As a city it is very walkable, beautiful, and can offer a great quality of life. You will find that it is more expensive to rent/buy. Happy to help you..what would you be looking for in a neighborhood? The job market is certainly competitive but there is a great economy and many opportunities. Would like to know more about your interests before getting more detailed

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-23-2018 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-23-2018, 02:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
"Do something more exciting" scares me for you. Lol.

A bachelor degree. Hmmmm what is it you want to do?

What is your budget? It's huge money here.

Don't move here without a job.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 8,066 times
I appreciate all the advice so far! I have heard much about the expensive cost of living. Based on my own research I'm worried about bringing the dogs but I feel that it is a must. I have some experience traveling out of the country to various places in Europe so my excitement for moving to the Boston area was a nice compromise to stay in the US but be closer to Europe and vacation more often. To be honest, I've never visited Boston other than the inside of the airport but I am looking forward to (and at the same time quite scared) to try something new. In the Midwest most of my friends my age are starting to settle down and I would like to move to a more progressive state. The career change is just a thought. I have a side hustle startup business for wedding/event planning so I think it would be fun to get into some sort of hospitality career out there. Maybe I'm dreaming too big!

Last edited by Ciara32; 09-23-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 06:19 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Expect to live with roommates unless you can earn a good income on your own and have a difficult time renting a place with two dogs.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
I would recommend coming to visit first..at the end of the day even if you can visit Europe more frequently you want to like where you live every day...I wouldn’t move here without a job either...if you like European style cities then there is a good chance you’d like Boston...a lot will come down to what you can afford..if you visit recommend fall spring summer..

Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara32 View Post
I appreciate all the advise so far! I have heard much about the expensive cost of living. Based on my own research I'm worried about bringing the dogs but I feel that it is a must. I have some experience traveling out of the country to various places in Europe so my excitement for moving to the Boston area was a nice compromise to stay in the US but be closer to Europe and vacation more often. To be honest, I've never visited Boston other than the inside of the airport but I am looking forward to (and at the same time quite scared) to try something new. In the Midwest most of my friends my age are starting to settle down and I would like to move to a more progressive state. The career change is just a thought. I have a side hustle startup business for wedding/event planning so I think it would be fun to get into some sort of hospitality career out there. Maybe I'm dreaming too big!
You want to think check things out and think things through. I would feel bad though, if you let the negativity of some people here put an end to your dreams.

Yes, it's more difficult to rent with dogs. If you rent with dogs now, you probably already knew that though. I had a german shepherd when I was renting, and she went where I went, period. There was no way in h--l I was going to ditch that dog. I did need to look harder, but so I did. I always found something - in the Washington DC burbs, in the Rochester, NY burbs, and in the Boston burbs. One time I swayed a nervous landlord by first vouching for my dog and then offering above the asking rent for a townhouse in Rochester, for example, where pets weren't allowed - I got the place.

It is true that the cost of living is very high here, especially in or adjacent to Boston and Cambridge, and the bottom line is, the cost of living is a lot easier on someone who has money, no denying that. But (A) it's not like everyone who lives here is a Harvard educated neurosurgeon, and (B) moving to this area doesn't *have* to mean either working or living downtown in Boston or Cambridge, which make both housing cost and commuting tough. You might find work in the suburbs, and then live outside there, where it's cheaper. Can always drive into Boston or Cambridge on the weekend. Don't *have* to live or work there.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Being objective about what moving to Boston from the midwest is like, from someone who moved to Boston from the midwest, is now "negativity." Good grief. And from someone in the (wealthy) suburbs no less. I'd rather be real with the OP. If she gives further information I can alter the response, but from what I have read, I stick by the facts.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara32 View Post
I appreciate all the advice so far! I have heard much about the expensive cost of living. Based on my own research I'm worried about bringing the dogs but I feel that it is a must. I have some experience traveling out of the country to various places in Europe so my excitement for moving to the Boston area was a nice compromise to stay in the US but be closer to Europe and vacation more often. To be honest, I've never visited Boston other than the inside of the airport but I am looking forward to (and at the same time quite scared) to try something new. In the Midwest most of my friends my age are starting to settle down and I would like to move to a more progressive state. The career change is just a thought. I have a side hustle startup business for wedding/event planning so I think it would be fun to get into some sort of hospitality career out there. Maybe I'm dreaming too big!
First thing to do would definitely be to come for a visit, preferably in the winter. If you enjoy winter Boston, you will really enjoy the rest of it. But some people can't handle the winter. But I'm guessing a midwesterner wouldn't have too much adjustments to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston