Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:32 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Yeah, people are prone to exaggeration. A friend of mine just got a really nice two bedroom apartment for under 2k a couple of blocks from Davis Sq, which is above an "ok" part of the region to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I hate how whenever someone says they're thinking of moving to Boston, majority of posters tell them it's a bad idea. Obviously we all like it enough to stay here so why discourage everyone else?

It's good if you are from there and already established, otherwise the appeal is severely depleted and it becomes a very hard sell.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
I hate how whenever someone says they're thinking of moving to Boston, majority of posters tell them it's a bad idea. Obviously we all like it enough to stay here so why discourage everyone else?
Some info on WHY would help. I don't understand the just pick up and move to Boston on whim thing.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Some info on WHY would help. I don't understand the just pick up and move to Boston on whim thing.
It's a cultured and educated city with low crime and a high level of urbanity.. couldn't blame the op for preferring to put their kids through MA schools as opposed to TN...

Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
It's a cultured and educated city with low crime and a high level of urbanity.. couldn't blame the op for preferring to put their kids through MA schools as opposed to TN...

Uh, there are good schools in TN.

As for everything else, it all depends on what the OP seeks. Most things can be found for a better value elsewhere.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Uh, there are good schools in TN.

As for everything else, it all depends on what the OP seeks. Most things can be found for a better value elsewhere.
MA is #1 for education TN is #38. Ok there are good schools in both states but the overall emphasis on education is totally different. Boston is a city where good kids can hang out in the neighborhood and interact with all kinds of people on a daily basis. Memphis for example is a great city but I wouldn't feel safe letting my kids grow up in most of it

Old 11-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
MA is #1 for education TN is #38. Ok there are good schools in both states but the overall emphasis on education is totally different.

Point is that one can find an equal education in TN, and usually for less.

Quote:
Boston is a city where good kids can hang out in the neighborhood and interact with all kinds of people on a daily basis. Memphis for example is a great city but I wouldn't feel safe letting my kids grow up in most of it

I don't know about Memphis, but you can certainly find that in Nashville. Of course you have to be careful and avoid certain areas, but that's true in Boston as well. I'm still not saying Nashville is the answer for the OP. That is the problem, they have yet to be specific on why they are attracted to Boston.

I think some people need to get out a little more. Boston is not the be all, end all.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
For the record, I think picking up and moving a family to a completely dissimilar city, climate, social sphere etc without VERY compelling reasons is a mistake regardless of what cities you're talking about. I am very thankful my parents turned down relocation to Chicago from Cleveland when I was about 10.

Also, you guys do realize the op said they have absolutely no job lined up right? Are you really saying that sounds like a good idea? Even if boston is the greatest city in the world? Unless they have large savings or inheritance or will be selling a nice house or something, I dont know how anyone could seriously say "yeah go for it!"

Old 11-02-2018, 09:47 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Yes, I get it. But its not the gold rush over here, and there isn't money on trees. Some people give a realistic view. I find it funny that you lament about it in other posts, but now it's Shangri-La

Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 AM

I'm not saying that uprooting your family to a radically different environment is necessarily a good idea. Many cases it would be a terrible idea. I would be interested to hear what attracts the OP to Boston.

My issue is the baseline attitude of skepticism and doubt. I don't think it's right to assume the OP is clueless and hasn't done their due diligence regarding the move. My baseline is to assume this is a rational adult who doesn't need us to tell them that a big, expensive coastal city is going to be different from a small town in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston