U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,838,326 times
I'd first pick the college you really want to go to and also consider what your going to major in before going anywhere. You can always visit Boston or move there after college to experience it, even if you decide college isn't right for you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
NVM NVM started this thread

4 posts, read 9,784 times
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I really appreciate all of your input during all of my college drama. In case you would like to know, im going to Boston next week to visit the university and see how it goes. So crazy, I only have 22 days before i sign my letter of intent wherever i decide to go. The more i think about it the more i want a drastic change but when i imagine actually leaving i cant help but become sad to say goodbye to it all. I guess it really hit me today when my friends and i went snowboarding and then went to our favorite beach side diner for a late dinner. Of course they couldnt resist reminding me that this is someting i would be leaving behind, but i know they only say it to tempt me stay because they care about me. Sorry im going on and on but i need to figure this out and i think it helps to state it to those not so biased and hear their opinions. Im meeting with my usc transfer counselor soon to figure some classes out if i do go to BU.

Thanks so much again and please keep the posts coming on anything you think i might find relevant or interesting about Boston and its people. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 20,658 times
I think that you should take what your friends are doing with a grain of salt. Honestly? The things that people say about your high school friendships not lasting forever has a lot of truth to it. I'm only 19, but already my entire little group from high school has broken up and moved on to other people, even though we all live in the same general area. Not to sound cynical or anything, but you really need to think about what YOU want to do :]

Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM

137 posts, read 258,377 times
ive always lived in MA, and i currently live right near BU. i would stay at USC if i were you. ive been to so-cal many times and love it. i think its one of if not the best place to live in the country. on the other hand, im probably saying that because im so familiar with boston. boston is definitely a great place and is extremely stimulating. you should definitely spend some time on the east coast at some point in your life, so if you plan on living in CA after college, maybe college will be the perfect time for you to experience the east. if you do come, bring some warm clothes! you'll freeze from november-march...

Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM

127 posts, read 10,989 times
I go to BU so I hope I can give you some insight. I would say it depends on many factors. The SoCal and New England lifestyle are vastly different from each other in almost every way. Characteristically, SoCal is more centered around sun, the car, beach, and being young and sexy. New England is more about winter, public transportation, historical institution, and being intellectual. All of my friends from Boston and New England are quite different from anyone I've met from LA or SoCal--not to say there aren't some similarities. The SoCal kids are so much more apt in their disregard to cold climate and personalities. No offense to anyone but I usually find them to be more casual, yet vibrant people. A lot of New Englanders I've met are used to being more formal and they tend to dress and act that way. The Boston area has beaches but you've gotta do some traveling to get there and you definitely won't be going there in April.

Your interest in each school's academic reputation and programs or otherwise also play a big role in your decision. Not all degrees and schools are weighted equally.

You have to decide if you're ready for a change and if you're ready for a BIG change, this would definitely be it! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston