U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 27 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are new to the city and considering purchasing our primary residence in Child Street, Hyde Park, MA. I could not find much information about this location, online. We don't own a car and I am wheel chair bound. We are concerned about the safety at this location as we will be using the public transportation through out. How is this location in terms of safety compared with Roslindale and West Rox. Also, I am concerned if the property will increase in value, comparable to Roslindale and West Rox.

I'd appreciate your valuable input. Thanks much in advance.

Best,

Griffin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

167 posts, read 32,074 times
Anywhere in Boston seems to be going up. Not sure on how Hyde park compares to Westi or Rozzi. Rozzi was pretty hot, not sure if that’s still the case and I’ve actually heard west Roxbury is not as desirable as it once was. I would think these 3 areas would be more popular as they are more affordable than most other parts of the city? They are also more suburban.

Old Today, 05:43 AM

1,725 posts, read 740,476 times
Hyde Park, specifically child street is a safe place to live. It has been one of the last Boston neighborhoods to not gentrify. There is far less of a desirable center. Public transport via MBTA is harder than Roslindale. There are frequent buses to Forest Hills and 3 commuter rail stops. The Fairmount area is probably the prettiest and should be the first to see the boom if and when it does happen. It has not seen the boom of Roslindale and W. Rox because businesses have not invested in it. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. It is great for car commuting out of Boston. 138 to 93 is a good easy ride if there is no traffic. Brook rd. to South shore as well. It neighbors Dedham on end and Roslindale on the other, and then Mattapan. There are some really amazing houses in HP. Houses with yards. I would love to see HP in the next wave of revitalization, and don't really know whats taking so long.

Old Today, 06:36 AM

I think there hasn’t been a boom in Hyde park because of the train situation and lack of restaurants. It is more affordable than Roslindale but i wouldn’t exactly call it cheap. Also the lack of restaurants. I guess if people want to invest they will pay 600k for a house as long as there are good restaurants nearby? Roslindale still has crime. Also how is Roslindales train situation better? They don’t have the redline either.

Old Today, 07:36 AM

2,351 posts, read 1,352,745 times
Hyde Park will never boom because theres nothing to boom. It is improving though and will continue to improve. It was declining throughout the 2000s and early 2010s. In the last 5/6 years it has improved but will never boom. Its far from colleges, has no real rapid transit (the commuter rail is only practical for commuting and its still stressful), and doesn't have any entertainment venues and very very few restaurants. Because its expensive simply for being in Boston theres no return on investment to be had. Its not cheap enough to garner significant investors to build anything cohesive that will make it boom.

Theres many places left that have to finish booming before Hyde Park.... namely Dorchester East Boston Roxbury Chelsea Revere Mattapan Lynn Everett and Malden...

Old Today, 07:53 AM

To answer the question though I think if this OP bought a house there he would get a return in his investment unless the economy collapses. I know a family who purchased a home their in 2014 for 341k and they just sold it for 445k. They’d made no updates to it either. 1500 sq ft house.

Old Today, 07:56 AM

149 posts, read 49,917 times
Wait til after Brexit.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 740,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Also how is Roslindales train situation better? They donít have the redline either.
Redline? No. Forest Hills is orange line. and there are probably 15 bus lines that run from Roz down Washington to FH. So it is significantly better. there are also many bars, restaurants, entertainment, target.... That's why it's more desirable.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

8,621 posts, read 7,716,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hyde Park will never boom because theres nothing to boom. It is improving though and will continue to improve. It was declining throughout the 2000s and early 2010s. In the last 5/6 years it has improved but will never boom. Its far from colleges, has no real rapid transit (the commuter rail is only practical for commuting and its still stressful), and doesn't have any entertainment venues and very very few restaurants. Because its expensive simply for being in Boston theres no return on investment to be had. Its not cheap enough to garner significant investors to build anything cohesive that will make it boom.

Theres many places left that have to finish booming before Hyde Park.... namely Dorchester East Boston Roxbury Chelsea Revere Mattapan Lynn Everett and Malden...
That's the whole thing. It comes with many of the disadvantages of being in the city (poor schools and higher crime), yet few of the advantages like lots of restaurants and good transit access. It offers no real cost advantages over many suburbs. It's fine enough, but even with current prices places like Quincy offer a better package.

Old Today, 09:04 AM

2,351 posts, read 1,352,745 times
GeePee and Mass native comments are spot on. Regardless, buying Hyde Park will be a money making venture for at least the next 5 years. When the economy deflates housing prices in Hyde Park will be one of the first ones to sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or