U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 11:35 AM

2,722 posts, read 1,485,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Move to Providence, Hartford, Springfield metro areas instead.
Stamford CT might be a better option for OP, imo. Although it sounds like they've picked specific hospitals in Boston for good reason. So Boston is feasible but no preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 10,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is the worst take on the thread so far imo.

Very few choices. There just aren't that many properties out there that fit the bill.
Sorry, but you're wrong. There are literally dozens of houses meeting the OPs requirements, and it's not even the busy season anymore. People who seriously think you can't live in a decent spot in Boston with a $750K budget for a house are just out of their mind or terrible with money.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:12 PM

239 posts, read 53,508 times
Boston needs less people not more. And based on the OPs budget and what he’s looking for he wouldn’t be happy in Boston. Just being real. Boston has become a rich people city as are the surrounding areas. There’s no way to have a good commute either unless you’re within waking distance. If you plan to be a rich dr someday and can put up with crap for a few years then do it. I have found Boston to be a bad place for families unless we’re talking rich families.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:27 PM

2,722 posts, read 1,485,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. There are literally dozens of houses meeting the OPs requirements, and it's not even the busy season anymore. People who seriously think you can't live in a decent spot in Boston with a $750K budget for a house are just out of their mind or terrible with money.
I agree with you completely but that doesn't really make Boston a good place for families. It was until VERY VERY recently. Its not anymore. Theres no need to **** away your income and (in)directly take away from your kids' QOL.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 PM

8,903 posts, read 7,865,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
lol dozens

I'll never understand why people spend so much on their house and forget about, ya know, the rest of life.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 PM

8,903 posts, read 7,865,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree with you completely but that doesn't really make Boston a good place for families. It was until VERY VERY recently. Its not anymore. Theres no need to **** away your income and (in)directly take away from your kids' QOL.
Yeah having a home is just the beginning. Costs only pile up from there.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,064,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Boston needs less people not more.
Boston needs more housing and better infrastructure. The increase in people is just highlighting how sorely those things are lacking.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 PM

239 posts, read 53,508 times
That’s what everyone says to be nice and PC it seems. The housing, the infrastructure. No there’s too many people who have moved here in the past 10 to 15 years. The big dig didn’t do a thing but my guess is the idiots in charge of it never expected the amount of people who moved here to do so. Historically people would come here for college then leave. Not anymore. They all stay and people move here by the thousands everyday for jobs. It’s a cluster f@ck and city officials don’t seem to care.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 AM

473 posts, read 517,643 times
That's possible in Boston (West Roxbury would likely be your best bet as someone else said). BPS schools are a roll of the dice though. I don't know how schools in Arlington, Milton, or Watertown are, but your budget would work there too.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 PM

30 posts, read 9,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
Hi all,

, and general ease of living for a young family while also ideally having some city life amenities.

Nope, Boston will not offer you this.

Where are you moving from? Boston has a lot of fun things to do and see, but living here is challenging if you are coming from an area that doesn't have the infrastructure problems, traffic, shabby housing, and cold population/personality issues that Boston has. Not to mention the winters, which the last one wasn't so bad, so we are likely due for a bad one soon. Just saying that we lived in gorgeous towns in the midwest right before Boston and if that was all I knew, I would have had major shell shock arriving at our Boston house as it was like moving from Disneyland to the ghetto. I grew up in very urban NY though, so I was prepared. But, many people love the challenge. It's not easy living, but you may love it. I'd try to come visit and stay at an airbnb for a week or something.
Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or