U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM
 
4,192 posts, read 4,207,170 times
Reputation: 2351

Advertisements

To much of the country Boston is mass in general. Heck if mass was in Texas Pittsfield would be consider a suburbs of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2019, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Boston
2,180 posts, read 2,067,310 times
Reputation: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
To much of the country Boston is mass in general. Heck if mass was in Texas Pittsfield would be consider a suburbs of Boston.
Would it though? The distance between Boston and Pittsfield is almost the same as the distance between Houston and Austin. Last I checked, Austin isnít considered a suburb of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,732 posts, read 1,492,563 times
Reputation: 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
To much of the country Boston is mass in general. Heck if mass was in Texas Pittsfield would be consider a suburbs of Boston.
Whats the significance of this? Are you saying OP is asking is Mass feasible for families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 PM
 
656 posts, read 536,653 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Thatís what everyone says to be nice and PC it seems. The housing, the infrastructure. No thereís too many people who have moved here in the past 10 to 15 years. The big dig didnít do a thing but my guess is the idiots in charge of it never expected the amount of people who moved here to do so. Historically people would come here for college then leave. Not anymore. They all stay and people move here by the thousands everyday for jobs. Itís a cluster f@ck and city officials donít seem to care.

Historically Boston had up to 800k people in the city, over 100k more than live there today. Boston had more people living in the city in 1920 than it will in 2020. The city lost over 30% of it's population from 1950 - 1980
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 01:33 PM
 
95 posts, read 101,582 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
Hi all,

My family and I are considering looking into Boston as a potential location for our next move. I work in health care, and would be looking to start fellowship at the various HMS associated hospitals (BWH, MGH, BIDMC) and would need to have a reasonable commute time to these locations. My wife works in finance and we will have to kids around age of 6 months and 4 years by the time we consider moving. Our biggest priorities are safety, good child care/preschools (would consider private school if even affordable), affordable housing (would ideally looking to buy, can see us budgeting maybe 750k, but it's a stretch), and general ease of living for a young family while also ideally having some city life amenities. We understand Boston is way up there now with COL and families are fleeing. Given our situation, would this even be viable to consider or should we consider moving elsewhere?

Thanks!

What's a realistic gross household salary? How much cash do you expect to have when you're ready to move? I commute every workday from Arlington to MGH. I've been driving in for over 5 years, it's not too bad. That said, I'm looking forward to taking the Red Line when I no longer have to drop my son off at day care. Keep in mind that with a 4-year old and a 6-month old, you'll have one year of paying 2 day cares. That alone is going to cost at least $3,000/month (assuming full day, near the city). $750K in Arlington buys a dated 1,500 SF single family detached house. Modernizing and cosmetic updates could easily cost $150K. Or, your budget would buy a nicer, smallish condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 01:57 PM
 
22 posts, read 6,970 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
What's a realistic gross household salary? How much cash do you expect to have when you're ready to move? I commute every workday from Arlington to MGH. I've been driving in for over 5 years, it's not too bad. That said, I'm looking forward to taking the Red Line when I no longer have to drop my son off at day care. Keep in mind that with a 4-year old and a 6-month old, you'll have one year of paying 2 day cares. That alone is going to cost at least $3,000/month (assuming full day, near the city). $750K in Arlington buys a dated 1,500 SF single family detached house. Modernizing and cosmetic updates could easily cost $150K. Or, your budget would buy a nicer, smallish condo.
It might be over $3,000/month for daycare for 2 kids near the city, but it's at least that much in the city (South End/Back Bay) for daycare for 1 kid. 2 kids would have run us over $6,000/month. Our infant commutes out to the suburbs for daycare because it was less than half the cost to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM
 
95 posts, read 101,582 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
It might be over $3,000/month for daycare for 2 kids near the city, but it's at least that much in the city (South End/Back Bay) for daycare for 1 kid. 2 kids would have run us over $6,000/month. Our infant commutes out to the suburbs for daycare because it was less than half the cost to do so.
I have a kid in daycare in Boston and another in Cambridge. It's about $380/week for preschool and $470/week for a toddler. About $3,700/month for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
9,207 posts, read 7,964,379 times
Reputation: 12721
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. For us, a condo would be perfectly fine. Ideally 3 br 1500 sq ft with a parking spot if that's doable (perhaps asking for too much with the parking spot?). We're prioritizing location (easier commute, closer to kid friendly amenities) over a huge single family home.
Where are you now located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM
 
22 posts, read 6,970 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
I have a kid in daycare in Boston and another in Cambridge. It's about $380/week for preschool and $470/week for a toddler. About $3,700/month for both.
Iíd love to know where. We have an infant and every place between the Pru and Sowa wanted around $3000/month, and we had to pay for weeks/holidays when the baby isnít in daycare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM
 
95 posts, read 101,582 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Iíd love to know where. We have an infant and every place between the Pru and Sowa wanted around $3000/month, and we had to pay for weeks/holidays when the baby isnít in daycare.

Sent you a DM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top