U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:19 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,403,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Is your ancestry 100% Native American? If not, you canít talk.

Personally, my family came over from Ireland shortly after the civil war. After WW1 and the potato famine, but before WW2 and the troubles. For all the ups and downs Boston and the US have gone through since then, Iím glad they made the move because Ireland was a hot mess for a very long time.

With all that in mind, how can I as an Irish-American do anything except encourage people to move here from other countries in an attempt to escape poverty, starvation, and/or political turmoil when so much of my own identity revolves around my great-grandparents doing that exact same thing 100 years ago?
Just curious, do you think Native Americans should be able to talk more candidly about their opinions on immigrants/immigration? What about African-Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 03:22 PM

2,135 posts, read 2,038,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Your grandfather had to be sponsored and have a waiting job .If found drunk three times he was sent back.
Two problems with this. First it was my great-grandparents. My grandparents were all natural-born citizens. The second is I believe that my father's mother and my mother's father were both raised by single mothers. I believe my father's father and his brothers were raised by their aunts. I could be misremembering; I'll do some more solid researching of my family's history and and back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Just curious, do you think Native Americans should be able to talk more candidly about their opinions on immigrants/immigration? What about African-Americans?
Sure. Are the two groups currently discouraged from speaking about immigration?

Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM

8,847 posts, read 7,796,580 times
Quote:

Sure. Are the two groups currently discouraged from speaking about immigration?
There is definitely an uncomfortable situation in liberal politics where immigration is held up as a wonderful good thing, even though it disproportionately handicaps black communities. There does seem to be a bit of cognitive dissonance when people preach about bringing in more and more immigrants, meanwhile we have communities in our cities that have existed for a long time that STILL remain trapped in poverty.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There is definitely an uncomfortable situation in liberal politics where immigration is held up as a wonderful good thing, even though it disproportionately handicaps black communities. There does seem to be a bit of cognitive dissonance when people preach about bringing in more and more immigrants, meanwhile we have communities in our cities that have existed for a long time that STILL remain trapped in poverty.
Bjimmy hit the nail on the head.

And yea I was just genuinely curious.

As an African-American, I'm ambivalent towards immigration. In the grand scheme of things, it seems like a good and helpful thing overall. I enjoy the diversity of culture and food thoroughly though. I think in the larger African-American community there is a tinge of resentment but I've never heard anything outwardly negative really...

Old 08-01-2019, 05:39 PM

1,306 posts, read 633,363 times
Quote:
you do realize this means we kind of get the cream of the crop people right. They're like handpicked for the most part.

If Boston and Mass were to make it easier to build apartments and homed then Americans would be willing to move or stay here. As of right now the luxury prices are so high not that many Americans can actually afford to live in them. Wealthy intentional people do.

Regular Americans arent willing to work 60 hours a week to split a modest home or apartment in Malden or Hyde Park and have little to no disposable income, that where the lower end of the immigration comes in. Immigrants are willing to make that sacrifice.

Boston woefully under educates its own population and generally hasn't been kind to its native born sons and daughters-pushing them out of the city. Theyre not allowed to be part of the equation. Since the early 1990s about two-thirds of people born in Boston have been black or Hispanic. Those are groups that are almost entirely shutout from the power and money in the region. as a result there is sort of a lost generation or two of Bostonians who lack the political might and wealth to advocate for their own interest.

As opposed to moving into Boston in large numbers and staying there, wealthy- and especially middle class -folks who own appreciable property in the Boston area do the logical thing-cashout on their home. They take the dividends elsewhere, where theyre money will go twice as far. North Carolina Tennessee Georgia Texas Florida some go to Colorado and even California.

Immigrants are needed to work as doctors and engineers, they also fill in Boston rapidly expanding retail and service sector-all those new shopping centers and amenities are staffed heavily by immigrants or their children. Until American education improves and Boston's affordability improves well likely see more of the same as we have for 40 years now.
Cream of the Crop!? Based on? Texas gets a TON of foreign in-migration but no one ever says its cream of the crop.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:39 PM

2,135 posts, read 2,038,137 times
Quote:
Bjimmy hit the nail on the head.
Huh. Yeah Iíd honestly never heard that sentiment before. And havenít you yourself said that the West Indian and Latin immigrants to Boston have assimilated into African-American Boston culture more than White Boston culture. If that really is the case, then isnít said immigration better for the AA community?

In any case, I guess I see the two things as separate issues. The fact that poor/working class immigrant communities have excelled in the past while AA communities have struggled highlights how important race has been in our city and state politics since the cityís inception.

I remember hearing something once, that (once upon a time) a Southie kid had three career options: politics, police, or prison. The fact that those three things were so intertwined for so long is kind of disgusting. Iíd like to think that Boston is getting better to the point that PoC will start joining the middle and upper classes in the same way that the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, etc. did before them.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:06 AM

174 posts, read 101,148 times
This is a great trend from my perspective. Boston benefits from the net immigration of educated, working age people from all over the world. The alternative is closed borders and closed thinking. Whose parents haven't immigrated to the United States at some point? Why the nativist sentiment?

Old 08-02-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Huh. Yeah Iíd honestly never heard that sentiment before. And havenít you yourself said that the West Indian and Latin immigrants to Boston have assimilated into African-American Boston culture more than White Boston culture. If that really is the case, then isnít said immigration better for the AA community?

In any case, I guess I see the two things as separate issues. The fact that poor/working class immigrant communities have excelled in the past while AA communities have struggled highlights how important race has been in our city and state politics since the cityís inception.

I remember hearing something once, that (once upon a time) a Southie kid had three career options: politics, police, or prison. The fact that those three things were so intertwined for so long is kind of disgusting. Iíd like to think that Boston is getting better to the point that PoC will start joining the middle and upper classes in the same way that the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, etc. did before them.
Yea its better culturally but not necessarily economically. Im kind of doubtful given how the economy is set up and how Boston politics are all about privatization nowadays-that PoC will ever have the opportunities white ethnics had in the 20th century. There not much- if anything-pointing (metric wise) to that being the case.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 AM

8,687 posts, read 7,770,269 times
Quote:
you do realize this means we kind of get the cream of the crop people right. They're like handpicked for the most part.
From overseas yes. From the western hemisphere, not so much. Especially countries in close proximity, it's the reverse. The unskilled laborers are the ones who come.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:34 AM

8,687 posts, read 7,770,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
This is a great trend from my perspective. Boston benefits from the net immigration of educated, working age people from all over the world. The alternative is closed borders and closed thinking. Whose parents haven't immigrated to the United States at some point? Why the nativist sentiment?
And what would this perspective be, the guy who just showed up from California to make an easy buck off Boston's real estate market? You do realize these policies have harmed a LOT of native born people right? I know you probably don't care, and you're just happy to have the steady flow of cheap labor (regardless of who it is), but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or