Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 AM

15 posts, read 11,304 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are new to Boston and looking to purchase our first home. We have two options, buying a condo in Medford Hadley Pl vs buying a single family in Roslindale Cornell street. Roslindale is $357/sq.ft and Medfor is $303/sq.ft. I'd like to have your opinion which one among the two will be a better investment? The Medford condo also comes with a HOA fee of $250 per month.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,791,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin_12 View Post
Hi all,

We are new to Boston and looking to purchase our first home. We have two options, buying a condo in Medford Hadley Pl vs buying a single family in Roslindale Cornell street. Roslindale is $357/sq.ft and Medfor is $303/sq.ft. I'd like to have your opinion which one among the two will be a better investment? The Medford condo also comes with a HOA fee of $250 per month.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks for your time.

I like Roslindale better. The Medford spot is probably a better deal these days from a ROI standpoint. Salem Street used to be ugly as hell but it loooks like they cleaned it up a bit lately

https://goo.gl/maps/RCmAMT9zPzVgmZFY8

look at this google streetview from 2007 vs 2018. You can see the positive trajectory of the area

If the Cornell Street place is the one I see on zillow, it's not really worth the money IMO. If I were buying in Rozzie I'd look on the other side of Washington for a place near the Arboretum. I used to live on South and Fairview and it was an awesome neighborhood and great place for a family.

I'd say it mainly comes down to your preferences and what part of town you work in / travel to often. Those two places are NOT near each other and the difference for commuting times will be huge if you work outside of the city in either direction

Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM

15 posts, read 11,304 times
Thanks much for your quick reply. I work in the longwood medical area and the commute is approximately the same. We are looking at 82 cornell and have difficulty in wrapping my mind around the price of $750k. I am asking myself if it is worth the price.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:29 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,065,683 times
Roslindale would be a far better commute to longwood than Medford. They are both nice, and similar in respects, but it depends where you work and spend most of your time. I live in Roslindale and some days it can take me over 50 min to get to Medford. it's miserable. Also, Roslindale is Boston proper and you get a pretty significant residential tax exemption. Not sure what property taxes are in Medford.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin_12 View Post
Thanks much for your quick reply. I work in the longwood medical area and the commute is approximately the same. We are looking at 82 cornell and have difficulty in wrapping my mind around the price of $750k. I am asking myself if it is worth the price.
As someone who loves Roslindale, I would give a firm no. You will have to drive almost everywhere from that location and the Jamaicaway commute to Longwood can get painfully congested. IMO it's one of the most hazardous roads in the city during heavy traffic because it's very narrow two way traffic.

There is a two unit property on Hewlett street Rozzie with a lot more square footage going for a similar price. I strongly prefer that neighborhood for the better walkability to parks and the commuter rail station and the overall neighborhood feel. However that particular property looks like it needs a lot of work, which is probably the reason for the price.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
As someone who loves Roslindale, I would give a firm no. You will have to drive almost everywhere from that location and the Jamaicaway commute to Longwood can get painfully congested. IMO it's one of the most hazardous roads in the city during heavy traffic because it's very narrow two way traffic.
Assuming they will be driving to longwood? I wouldn't.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:37 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,394,780 times
if you have kids then do medford.

82 Cornell Street Roslindale? Thats not the sexy part of Roslindale and If its going for 750k i doubt youll ever get much ROI. It cant go much higher than that-if at all.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:40 AM

14,191 posts, read 14,546,848 times
My SIL and her husband lived on Cornell St in the 70's-80's. They bought his parents home. I have had some great holiday dinners there. Fond Memories.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Assuming they will be driving to longwood? I wouldn't.
it's close to an hour bus ride to longwood from that part of Rozzie. The drive would be 15 minutes without traffic

Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM

I would take the orange line to Rox Crossing and walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston