U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:35 AM

679 posts, read 199,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
push jobs to gateway cities.
Definitely one of the absolute worst pieces of advice for any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:51 AM

679 posts, read 199,141 times
Build the 695 connector. Build the Blue-Red connector. Build MBTA Urban Ring Phase 3. Electrify the entire commuter rail system. Convert the Green Line's (E) Branch to heavy rail. Throw Massachusetts residents who disapprove into punji pits.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 PM

41 posts, read 8,046 times
I think Greater Boston is getting increasingly decentralized, with more and more jobs being pushed out to the 95 belt and 495 belt. Hopefully this will continue instead of having all traffic going the same direction every morning.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM

649 posts, read 526,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
My only hope is that with the new wave of transplants, comes new ideas about transportation. US in general is too car centric. We need better public transportation period. That should be action item number 1.

Also, I dont' know the real numbers, But Uber and Lift did their own reports and estimated that in Boston 3-5% of vehicles on the road were theirs. I would estimate it's much higher.

This is a failing company which just reported another $5 Billion loss. thats right $5 Billion. I still scratch my head at why this new culture of entitled people would take a $20 Uber over a $2.70 train ride. I get it, the MBTA is terrible yadda yadda. Let's invest. Uber is the enemy not the friend.
how is it entitlement when you pay for a service? Also how is it different from a former generation that would take a cab over a train ride?

Employers in cities like Boston / NYC will commonly pay for professionals to uber to and from work , particularly if they are working long hours.

If you work in Cambridge and live in a 3k / month one bedroom in the South End, is an $8 uber ride home from work really a big deal to you ? You save 20 minutes and your payrate is $100 an hour... your time is worth more than the price of Uber

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

8,845 posts, read 7,792,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
how is it entitlement when you pay for a service? Also how is it different from a former generation that would take a cab over a train ride?

Employers in cities like Boston / NYC will commonly pay for professionals to uber to and from work , particularly if they are working long hours.

If you work in Cambridge and live in a 3k / month one bedroom in the South End, is an $8 uber ride home from work really a big deal to you ? You save 20 minutes and your payrate is $100 an hour... your time is worth more than the price of Uber
$8 uber ride at rush hour from Cambridge to South End? It would probably be closer to $35-40. And not be any faster than taking the 1, to be honest.

People really have to stop the "i got mine" attitude. i don't think we need to care about well, if you can afford it it's fine. Nope, it's not fine. And i don't care if you can afford it. These people make things worse for everyone else. And their jobs aren't even real. Next recession should fix a lot of this though.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
$8 uber ride at rush hour from Cambridge to South End? It would probably be closer to $35-40. And not be any faster than taking the 1, to be honest.

People really have to stop the "i got mine" attitude. i don't think we need to care about well, if you can afford it it's fine. Nope, it's not fine. And i don't care if you can afford it. These people make things worse for everyone else. And their jobs aren't even real. Next recession should fix a lot of this though.
Idk I've used Uber about a dozen times ever mostly from airports. I don't got mine I just don't see how Uber is evil or worse than cabs / private cars ettc

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

8,845 posts, read 7,792,817 times
Quote:
Idk I've used Uber about a dozen times ever mostly from airports. I don't got mine I just don't see how Uber is evil or worse than cabs / private cars ettc
People who commute via Uber are absolutely part of the problem. Occasional airport ubering doesn't really bother me.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

726 posts, read 397,186 times
Quote:
Employers in cities like Boston / NYC will commonly pay for professionals to uber to and from work, particularly if they are working long hours.
Commonly? Perhaps among the executive ranks.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

41 posts, read 8,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
They might also be bad at personal finance. There's a lot of people in this country who live paycheck to paycheck even when they make good money.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
well common for lawyers/ financial services / jobs that require you to work until 10pm even at my mid-market accounting firm managers (age 28-30) and up would get perks like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or