U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

734 posts, read 400,864 times

Advertisements

On the way to/from Portland, When Pigs Fly in Kittery has great pizza as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

973 posts, read 3,517,022 times
Boston native here who has lived in Atlanta for 15 years now.
As a city, I definitely prefer Boston over Atlanta. But in terms of suburbs, I like the ATL suburbs more. Thereís just more to do, and of course the housing is much cheaper.
Atlanta area pizza is very mediocre (Antico is not excellent). I definitely miss Boston area pizza. And great cannoli.
And I canít believe OP is talking trash about an MLS title!

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

3,229 posts, read 1,953,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I'm not sure about hidden gems and I don't know what type of pizza you prefer, but some places that make excellent pies include:
- Picco (South End)
- Galleria Umberto (North End) Sicilian (also try the arancini)
- Pizzeria Regina (original North End location ONLY) best to order your pie stretched and well done, though they might not want to do this at peak times unless they know you (not enough room in oven)
- Brewers Fork (Charlestown)
- Ciao (Everett) Neapolitan style
- Gran Gusto(Cambridge) Neapolitan style
- Area 4 (Cambridge)
- Max & Leos (Netwon Corner)
- Santarpios (East Boston)
- Pinocchios (Harvard Square) Sicilian
- Frank Pepes (Chestnut Hill)
- Bianchis (now Renzos) (Revere Beach)

Would I like to see more good New York style pizza that isn't $20+ designer pizza garbage? Yes! However Boston has its share of good pizza. Enjoy.
I will check these out. I've had Frank Pepes, and while I like it, I don't love it. I'll try the Regina North End location, too.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,511,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What I did not find were japanese izakayas, barbecue joints, korean barbecues, traditional mexican (no, not a place where they melt cheese on your burrito), gyro and/or shawarma joints or indian/pakistani spots.
Mexican/Tex-Mex/Mission style food here is uniformly garbage

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

8,145 posts, read 16,197,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I will check these out. I've had Frank Pepes, and while I like it, I don't love it. I'll try the Regina North End location, too.
North End Regina's is pretty good. I also have mostly enjoyed Dragon Pizza in Davis. I had been really high on them for some time, but I've had a few misses recently. Generally still very good pizza. Not on par with the best in NYC, but very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
With a few exceptions, this is pretty true. Though I'd mark this solidly in the "improving" department.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

668 posts, read 275,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If anyone can tell me where the hidden gems are, I'd love to hear.

Yes it is.
I don't know the pizza scene in Atlanta, as I haven't been there enough. When I lived in Durham, NC, there was actually a good pizza place run by some guy who moved there from New York. Unfortunately, it didn't open until a few months before we left.

I have not been to Santarpio's, but I'm putting it on our list to go try.

No it isn't. I do give it to my son, who will eat almost any pizza, even frozen. It's fine for him.

Which places do you like in Portland?

My husband and I saw that and wondered who the heck came up with that? They must've been enjoying our new laws re: cannabis sales a bit too much. And it's based on TripAdvisor, whose food ratings I'm not sold on.
Quality of pizza is so subjective..I’ve eaten pizza all over manhattan and for me Regina in north end is good...seriously two people with a refined pizza taste can love a place and the other hate it..some like thin some like deep dish..I personally like coppa and waypoint

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,441,401 times
A few things Iíve seen here.

1. We are still mostly talking about places not in Boston proper, weíve maybe once mentioned a neighborhood south of the pike which is about 80% of the cityís land area-we just chalk all that up to a loss really (which is odd given there ARE some good restaurants down that way)

2. Boston central neighborhoods really are 5 square miles or less, not 10. So about 12-13% of the city

3. Boston has excellent pizza

4. DD in Boston really is far superior than elsewhere

5. No one has mentioned Boston has far better West Indian/Caribbean/Latino food than atlanta and Philly-by several tiers. Thatís kind of our strength in terms of unique cuisine. I just donít think enough posters here eat that food regularly.

6.atlanta has far better and more copious lower priced food options, with better atmosphere

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

734 posts, read 400,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
We are still mostly talking about places not in Boston proper...
I'm sure you'd get a different definition from each person in this thread as to what they consider Boston "proper".

I'd personally love to learn of some great spots I'm not familiar with in any neighborhood. Bring them forth.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 7,801,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I'm not sure about hidden gems and I don't know what type of pizza you prefer, but some places that make excellent pies include:
- Picco (South End)
- Galleria Umberto (North End) Sicilian (also try the arancini)
- Pizzeria Regina (original North End location ONLY) best to order your pie stretched and well done, though they might not want to do this at peak times unless they know you (not enough room in oven)
- Brewers Fork (Charlestown)
- Ciao (Everett) Neapolitan style
- Gran Gusto(Cambridge) Neapolitan style
- Area 4 (Cambridge)
- Max & Leos (Netwon Corner)
- Santarpios (East Boston)
- Pinocchios (Harvard Square) Sicilian
- Frank Pepes (Chestnut Hill)
- Bianchis (now Renzos) (Revere Beach)

Would I like to see more good New York style pizza that isn't $20+ designer pizza garbage? Yes! However Boston has its share of good pizza. Enjoy.
In addition, some good neighborhood places are Kelly's in Eastie, Pleasant Cafť in Roslindale, Tony's in West Roxbury. Napoli's in Quincy.

Prince's up on the N Shore. Mama Mia's (several locations) on the S Shore.

And I concur, only the original Regina;s in the N End is worth going to! The mall knockoffs aren't even of the same species.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 7,801,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Says the person who doesn't know where to go. There are actually a growing number of quality Mexican, my favorite being Ana's in East Boston. In Central Mass., Sol of Mexico in Worcester and Taquaria El Amigo in Clinton are quite good. Maybe our best doesn't hold a candle to San Antonio's (or maybe Atlanta's) best, but to call it garbage is a little disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or