U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

1,029 posts, read 263,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Dunkin Donuts has lousy donuts, there I'd agree. But I don't consider Dunkin Donuts "the food scene". I think there are plenty of good restaurants in the area.
I agree I don't think donuts are a measure of food scene. In my opinion there are good restaurants in the area but he is referring to variety of cusine. I don't recall Boston having good barbeque or cajun for example. There is Italian in the North End but I don't know of a lot of other ethnic oriented restaurants as compared to other major cities. When my husband and I visited a few months ago, I commented that I did not see a lot of stand alone neighborhood specialty food shops -- cheeses, coffee, teas, fresh fish stores, butcher shops, bakeries.

Perhaps the demographics of the Boston area wouldn't support such a variety but the point of comparison is from an outsider's view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,047,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Doubling a 15-20 minute commute means 30-40 minutes in the car (or an hour on the T).
It once took me 60 minutes to drive 6 miles on 93. I don’t know what this “15-20 minute commute” nonsense is.

Quote:
I include Brookline, Cambridge, Roxbury, et. al. as part of how I percieve 'Boston'. I would say that Arlington, Newtown, Quincy and Lynn are NOT part of 'Boston' if that helps explain.
How generous of you to include Roxbury as part of Boston.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 862,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
When my husband and I visited a few months ago, I commented that I did not see a lot of stand alone neighborhood specialty food shops -- cheeses, coffee, teas, fresh fish stores, butcher shops, bakeries.

Perhaps the demographics of the Boston area wouldn't support such a variety but the point of comparison is from an outsider's view.
You probably weren't looking for them so you didn't find them. This kind of stuff is all over. You might not be able to walk out your door and up a block but they are there.

Same with the variety of food. You might need to travel from one part of the city (I include Boston/Cabmbridge/Brookline/Somerville) to another to find something particular or the best example, but you can find most stuff. The problem is that it really impractical to do coupled with the ridiculous traffic and radial train lines. I save those trips for the weekend and drive.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
You probably weren't looking for them so you didn't find them. This kind of stuff is all over. You might not be able to walk out your door and up a block but they are there.

Same with the variety of food. You might need to travel from one part of the city (I include Boston/Cabmbridge/Brookline/Somerville) to another to find something particular or the best example, but you can find most stuff. The problem is that it really impractical to do coupled with the ridiculous traffic and radial train lines. I save those trips for the weekend and drive.
I am sure they are there but, again, the comparison is relative to another city. WHen someone is visiting such as the OP, his perspective is from his experience in Atlanta as well as other places. "I grew up in Queens, northern VA and east TN, so excepting the latter I have experience with large'ish US cities."

He was underwhelmed.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

664 posts, read 274,192 times
Quote:
I agree I don't think donuts are a measure of food scene. In my opinion there are good restaurants in the area but he is referring to variety of cusine. I don't recall Boston having good barbeque or cajun for example. There is Italian in the North End but I don't know of a lot of other ethnic oriented restaurants as compared to other major cities. When my husband and I visited a few months ago, I commented that I did not see a lot of stand alone neighborhood specialty food shops -- cheeses, coffee, teas, fresh fish stores, butcher shops, bakeries.

If you want variety and your experience of Boston is a 3 - 4 mile walk from back bay to the north end and seaport you will not see it all. Not saying this is your experience....including Brookline camb Somerville, a quick yelp search produces (and not all are listed on yelp)

- Well over 200 places serving some combination of Japanese, Asian fusion, izikaya, sushi, ramen - there are asian grocery stores all over including an H Mart in Cambridge
- at least 15 places serving poke
- over 60 places serving thai or Vietnamese
- well over 100 serving Szechuan, Chinese, or dim sum
- well over 140 middle eastern, Greek, Turkish, Armenian
- over 120 and counting of restaurants serving Caribbean, Haitian, Puerto rican, trinidadian, or Venezuelan
- over 50 serving Brazilian
- 10 serving Ethiopian
- over 100 Mexican
Over 120 and counting Indian
- French, italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Irish, English tons and tons

- try sweet cheeks on Boylston if youre looking for barbecue

- for a donut avoid dunkin and try blackbird or union square donuts

I’m missing a lot of cuisines but you can most certainly find most of what you’d be looking for and it will likely take you off the freedom trail

Not saying Boston has best food..I am saying if you don’t find variety in cuisine you are not exploring

Last edited by Ne999; Yesterday at 08:09 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 862,196 times
Quote:
I am sure they are there but, again, the comparison is relative to another city. WHen someone is visiting such as the OP, his perspective is from his experience in Atlanta as well as other places. "I grew up in Queens, northern VA and east TN, so excepting the latter I have experience with large'ish US cities."

He was underwhelmed.
Yes, but my point was that someone who hasn't been here for years may not be able to find this kind of stuff. Just like I might wander into Toomsooba, MS for an hour, find a good Thai place and say "wow the food here is great!". That would be misguided. Although I agree that the food scene in Boston is just ok overall, I won't derail things but it is way better than your average person has access to. And there is a huge variety in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/etc.

You said you visited and didn't see a lot of specialty shops. Well I can walk to about 4 of them in under 15 min and be at several dozen more in about 30. That was part of my point, depending on where you stayed you might think there aren't many of xyz but I don't know how much ground you covered.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

3,087 posts, read 5,326,003 times
Quote:
My job situation has been the pits for a while and about 3 months ago I ended up having to move to Boston for a contract job...

That's all you really need to know about Boston. Strongest job market in the country. People can complain about the high price of housing, the weather, the traffic, the arrogance - whatever you want. However, if you want to get a job, come to Boston.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Yes, but my point was that someone who hasn't been here for years may not be able to find this kind of stuff. Just like I might wander into Toomsooba, MS for an hour, find a good Thai place and say "wow the food here is great!". That would be misguided. Although I agree that the food scene in Boston is just ok overall, I won't derail things but it is way better than your average person has access to. And there is a huge variety in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/etc.

You said you visited and didn't see a lot of specialty shops. Well I can walk to about 4 of them in under 15 min and be at several dozen more in about 30. That was part of my point, depending on where you stayed you might think there aren't many of xyz but I don't know how much ground you covered.
True. The original statement was that the OP complained about the food scene based on his experience elsewhere. The responding post was that the area had "good" restaurants. My point was that is a distinction between good restaurants and varied cusine and "good" is subjective. Perhaps the OP has a refined palate and does not represent "your average person."

And, accessibility is also the point. It's like telling someone from Manhattan, your area has also has varied cusine but you have to know where to look.

My comment notwithstanding which was based on an outsider's limited perspective, I actually find Boston's food scene to my liking but I don't have the OP's perspective.

What I find is most people go into defensive mode about their town rather than considering from the OP's perspective. What is the food scene in Atlanta and how does that compare to Boston's.

Last edited by Maddie104; Yesterday at 08:29 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

28 posts, read 12,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That's all you really need to know about Boston. Strongest job market in the country. People can complain about the high price of housing, the weather, the traffic, the arrogance - whatever you want. However, if you want to get a job, come to Boston.
Anyone reasonably skilled really shouldn't have trouble finding a job in Atlanta, where the unemployment rate is a paltry 4.2%.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,433,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
On point 2... well certainly a lot of housing is old..it’s also all inhabited..would be difficult to tear down houses with people living in them and demanding such rent

On point 3..agreed the t needs work...Atlanta’s traffic may well be worse but way more people drive in Atlanta..Boston’s public transport ridership exceeds Atlanta’s by factors of millions
Small cars and all Boston is a public transit oriented city. The downside in Atlanta is if you wanted to use public transit regularly you basically couldn’t

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/wp-conte...-1011x1024.jpg
Vs
https://www.itsmarta.com/images/train-stations-map.jpg

On point 7...Can’t tell you the last time I’ve been Dunkin donuts..it’s not looked at as some measuring stick to compare against....Boston has a variety in cuisine especially if you travel to Cambridge/Somerville/Allston/jp...dakzen in Davis square that you mentioned has amazing thai..if you return avoid the chain places
Enough is enough. Do people not realize how ridiculous this is? When people complain about lifestyle in Boston 9/10 people direct them to these areas? Do you guys not see how crazy it is that for as much rep as Boston has so much of the city comes off as undesirable or boring to people? For years on this forum it’s the same thing? OP is 100% right about donuts and pizza. It’s religion. Realistically maybe 2% of greater Boston people spend free time in those areas.

The fact that people in the Boston area are content with the segmentation of quality entertainment dining and retail is unique. Everywhere else I go in the country a big focus of communities cities and towns is having the same quality options across the metro area. In Boston if a few clustered towns provide something special that’s good enough for ‘Boston’. My friends from other places always ask why so many pizzerias and dunks? The lack of options and variety over a substantial are-for what people expect of BOSTON- is definitely underwhelming.

There should be ample clean modern innovative relatively food throughout the metro even in far flung places and lower income areas. The problem is commercial rents are too high in Boston for every business. It stifles creativity as it is financially irresponsible to experiment in Boston unless you’re in one of the few places that have both younger people and disposable income. The reality is there aren’t that many of those places in eastern MA, and fewer than most would expect for Boston. The traditional downtown areas have some pretty underwhelming dining experiences available to the public even if the food is good. This is something I’ve only come to realize in the past 2 years really...

I think people see our city represented so much in the media and always hear it’s praises and then they get her and find it rather ‘manageable’ From the standpoint of unique or urban experiences. I think people come here expecting to say “WOW” and leave saying “that was really nice” instead.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; Yesterday at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or