U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

60 posts, read 12,087 times

Advertisements

The Boston area has a large abundance of many different kinds of restaurants. Just because you haven’t been to them doesn’t mean they don’t exist. There are many valid arguments that can be made against Boston but frankly this isn’t one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,513,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperi33 View Post
The Boston area has a large abundance of many different kinds of restaurants. Just because you havenít been to them doesnít mean they donít exist. There are many valid arguments that can be made against Boston but frankly this isnít one of them.
People don't really come here for the food scene. Yes, tourists will gladly overpay for the same seafood they can buy at home for half the price, but New England cuisine is hardly anything special.

That said, there are plenty of decent restaurants here, and a lot of really overpriced beyond mediocre ones.

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,433,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Here is "specialty food stores" in Philadelphia area. Did not do a sort so not all fit the profile. To be fair, the population here is much larger.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...hia%2C+PA&ns=1

There are also many byo boutique restaurants -- contributing to a variety of dining options at affordable prices. I recenty went to a Norwegian restaurant -- wonderful food and byo. These type restaurants can be found throughout the metro area.

Referring to demographics, I wonder if it is the Boston student population as percentage of total population that contributes to the saturation of pizza and doughnuts. It doesn't help the perception of an outsider though.

It is not my intention to derail this thread and make this about Boston vs. Philadelphia. It's just an example of outsider perspective.
There arenít that many student s as a percentage of the entire Boston area. Not enough to do anything like that. You can go to the south and north shore and find the same lack of variety.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,047,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
People don't really come here for the food scene. Yes, tourists will gladly overpay for the same seafood they can buy at home for half the price, but New England cuisine is hardly anything special.

That said, there are plenty of decent restaurants here, and a lot of really overpriced beyond mediocre ones.
Someone clearly hasn’t had BAD seafood before if they think New England’s is “nothing special”.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

728 posts, read 399,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
- try sweet cheeks on Boylston if you're looking for barbecue
I agree that Boston has pretty good food and varied options depending on what you are looking for.

Sweet Cheeks is not the example I would use, however. Their actual BBQ (meat) is very inconsistent. The best thing at Sweet Cheeks are their excellent biscuits. BBQ is an area in which Boston is rather weak in my experience. The over priced designer BBQ options such as Sweet Cheeks and The Smoke Shop are an unfortunate development. I like Blackstrap in Winthrop, but you've really got to make the drive to BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge for good BBQ.

Old Today, 07:02 AM

1,036 posts, read 263,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I agree that Boston has pretty good food and varied options depending on what you are looking for.

Sweet Cheeks is not the example I would use, however. Their actual BBQ (meat) is very inconsistent. The best thing at Sweet Cheeks are their excellent biscuits. BBQ is an area in which Boston is rather weak in my experience. The over priced designer BBQ options such as Sweet Cheeks and The Smoke Shop are an unfortunate development. I like Blackstrap in Winthrop, but you've really got to make the drive to BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge for good BBQ.
The best BBQ -- Kansas City, MO. Unless you've been there, there is no basis for comparison.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ity%2C+MO&ns=1

A placed may have varied options but, are they any good? Or, maybe there is really only one good option and you have to travel 30 miles to get there. I have been places where people would say we have mexican -- taco bell -- and it's good.

So unless someone is well traveled and has been exposed to varied cusine, there is no basis for comparison to rate the cusine. This is why out-of-towners are most critical as they have experienced cusine elsewhere.

Last edited by Maddie104; Today at 07:39 AM..

Old Today, 07:06 AM

3,224 posts, read 1,950,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I agree I don't think donuts are a measure of food scene. In my opinion there are good restaurants in the area but he is referring to variety of cusine. I don't recall Boston having good barbeque or cajun for example. There is Italian in the North End but I don't know of a lot of other ethnic oriented restaurants as compared to other major cities. When my husband and I visited a few months ago, I commented that I did not see a lot of stand alone neighborhood specialty food shops -- cheeses, coffee, teas, fresh fish stores, butcher shops, bakeries.

Perhaps the demographics of the Boston area wouldn't support such a variety but the point of comparison is from an outsider's view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
OP is 100% right about donuts and pizza. Itís religion. Realistically maybe 2% of greater Boston people spend free time in those areas.
Re: DD, I love donuts, and up here DD's are pretty darn good. Outside of the Boston area, DD's SUCK. In PA, MD, NJ and elsewhere, most of the DD donuts were of such bad quality that I had essentially given up on them. According to people at the DD HQ, the quality of the donuts depends on the local bakeries where the franchisees get the donuts from. But I don't understand why the HQ doesn't implement some kind of quality control, so that the donuts are uniformly good across the country. The DD donuts here are of a MUCH higher quality and taste much better than donuts at DD's in many other areas.

The pizza, however, is almost uniformly bad. I've never found pizza I love anywhere in the Boston area. I don't understand why -- surely some New Yorkers have meandered up here and should be able to bring their pizza making skills with them. Philadelphia has good pizza. There's no reason the pizza up here should be as bad as it is. At best it's "not too bad."

Re: The poor quality of housing - I expect that may be in part due to the large student market. Students are usually pretty limited to a small geographic area, may not have that much familiarity about further flung areas, and may have a limited time schedule to find a place. Therefore, they'll accept whatever is available. So, if a LL is still able to rent the place, there is little incentive to renovate it -- especially a major renovation.

Old Today, 07:15 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,513,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Someone clearly hasnít had BAD seafood before if they think New Englandís is ďnothing specialĒ.
Admittedly seafood isn't really my thing. However I've had some really bad seafood in Boston too. Just because a seafood restaurant is in Boston doesn't mean it's good.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

1,036 posts, read 263,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Admittedly seafood isn't really my thing. However I've had some really bad seafood in Boston too. Just because a seafood restaurant is in Boston doesn't mean it's good.
True. Some restaurants do not really serve fresh seafood. My husband and I regularly eat fresh seafood (caught and served the same day) and the best restaurant we have found was in Boston -- Atlantic Fish Company. We have been there many times over ten years and it has been consistently good.

In general though sometimes the best seafood is small shacks along the coast. Many large cities cater to business expense accounts where quality of food, especially seafood, is secondary and overpriced.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

8,880 posts, read 7,819,471 times
Everyone always praises Sweet Cheeks whenever bbq comes up, but it's really not good. If you like Sweet Cheeks, you haven't traveled south, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or