Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:31 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If I'm in a business meeting somewhere else in the country and "Where are you from?" comes up during exchanging pleasantries, I always ask people to guess. I usually get California or Seattle. Nope. Born in New Bedford. I wasn't allowed to have the local accent. You can tell where I'm from based on a few things. Scallops is pronounced SKALL-ups. Rotary. Frappe. Linguica as a pizza topping. Sometimes I'll slip and call the water fountain a bubbler.
That's not an accent, those are regional expressions. I say those, too including "SKALL-ups".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:42 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
I used to have a Maine accent, which is a cousin to the Boston accent and people used to make fun. One friend still does in certain words, but it has mostly been knocked out of me since living away for so long. On my last visit there, people in Haverhill, MA had a strong accent, which is like the Boston accent, but still completely different enough to easily distinguish it from, say, the classic Southie accent. A friend from Nantucket talks the way a lot of Mainers talk... funny. People with this talk seem to also have a distinctive, wry sense of humor common amongst many New Englanders.
Like --"You can't get there from here." Or Calvin Coolidge (NH) I bet I could get three words out of you and he answered, "You lose."

Haverhill people have a strong accent but I can't tell the difference between that and a Maine accent, a NH accent, a Boston accent, or any other. They all just talk funny. At a cat shelter near Haverhill (Salisbury? Amesbury?) they told me to just put my donation under the top. I had to keep asking them, the top of what? Finally--the BLUE top. When I looked, there was a blue TARP.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's not an accent, those are regional expressions. I say those, too including "SKALL-ups".
i am guilty of a lot of these:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/App...f_Boston_slang

Old 08-23-2019, 12:08 PM

122 posts, read 167,745 times
Default Most definitely not

Though I was born in Stoneham and lived in Arlington as a young child, my formative years were spent in Western Mass just about 10-15 miles from where the Boston accent peters out. So, even though I was born here and have lived here now for almost 30 years, I don't have the accent at all, though I'm sure I use some specific words that out me as a New Englander. It seems every time I take one of those accent tests, as soon I mention bubbler and grinder, it has me pegged quite accurately.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:47 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Yes, but being in a professional setting with business client around the world I’ve forced myself to lose it.

It comes back now and then, but I get annoyed when people from out of state ask me to say certain words

Old 08-23-2019, 01:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Like --"You can't get there from here." Or Calvin Coolidge (NH) I bet I could get three words out of you and he answered, "You lose."

Haverhill people have a strong accent but I can't tell the difference between that and a Maine accent, a NH accent, a Boston accent, or any other. They all just talk funny. At a cat shelter near Haverhill (Salisbury? Amesbury?) they told me to just put my donation under the top. I had to keep asking them, the top of what? Finally--the BLUE top. When I looked, there was a blue TARP.
Calvin Coolidge is VERMONT.

Thank you.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Understood. My point was that I speak newscaster neutral American English but the local colloquiums drop into my casual speech when I’m talking to someone in southern New England. It’s pretty easy to figure out eastern Massachusetts/Rhode Island from the slang.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Thank you.
Wait a moment-- Calvin Coolidge is Vermont, true, but more importantly Northampton, Mass, where he was mayor. He also occupied the corner office in the Mass State House before becoming Warren Harding's VP.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:01 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Hubby is from there. Even though he has moved and we lived in other areas, people still pick up that he has that accent.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Thank you.
Right. I was just testing you.

And his office was on Main St in Northampton. The house they lived in is on Massasoit St. And the bridge that crosses the CT River is named after him. He didn't talk with a Boston accent--mostly you have to live east of the river for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston