U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:22 PM

9,402 posts, read 8,134,641 times

Advertisements

I am from Boston. Lived there until 18. Returned at 24, left at 30. Returned at 42, left at 62. Was married to a Southerner for 35 year. Have lived in SC for 15 years now. Have gotten rid of my Boston accent but down here, they still know I am not a Southerner. They all know I am a Yankee. Once in a great while someone with a keen ear will pick up on me being from Boston when I say Aunt instead of Ant and I slip once in a while on words like party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 11:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 320,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I never thought I did, until people in New York pointed it out.. there are some things that Bostonians say that stray away from the traditional 'dropping the r sound'. To me I dont have a Boston accent, but to all my New York friends.. I do. Lol. (Im 21-25 yrs old).

For Example:

Broom: I pronounce Brum
Room: I pronounce rahm/rum.
About: Ah-boat
Iron: eye-uhn
Boards: Boahds... but Board is the only word I drop the r on.
Then I say traditional New England things like Wicked, Super!, Dunkies, Eastie, Southie, The T in every city I visit even though its called the Metro/Train/etc, and even though Im from the suburbs I always say im from Boston.

However, my dad is from Dorchester and his accent is beyond thick. Try and hear him say the number four over the phone, it never ends well... and the poor person on the other side of the phone trying to figure what number is "foah"
Bostonians talk like Canadians?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:24 AM

9,049 posts, read 8,020,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The T in every city I visit even though its called the Metro/Train/etc, and even though Im from the suburbs I always say im from Boston.
The light rail in Pittsburgh is also called the T.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM

8,229 posts, read 16,355,253 times
No/Minimal accent. When I've traveled around the U.S./lived outside of MA, I've been told that at certain times (if I've had one too many drinks) and with certain words, that I do have an subtle accent. Also, I still have a habit of dropping a "wicked" in some casual conversations sometimes.

I have a handful of friends who were born/raised on the South Coast. They have thick RI/SE MA Accents. People tend to assume they're New Yorkers when we travel together. It's different enough from the Boston accent where people don't make the association.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,839,109 times
I've been in Texas for over 10 years. It manifests easiest with a good dose of alcohol and/or anger.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM

833 posts, read 376,815 times
I don't know why, but when I go to Boston I'm always a little surprised by how many people do have Boston accents. I know, silly. But it's just that Boston has lot of people not from Eastern MA, RI, or NH. It's a major "international city".

But the accents say still a vast majority are born and raised in the area.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:48 PM

35 posts, read 8,134 times
When my folks came up from PA my Mom was delighted when she heard a Boston accent out in the wild. "Oh my God...It's just like in the movies!"

Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM

7 posts, read 1,569 times
My wife grew up in Worcester and left when she was 18 (now 28) and never had an accent, but sometimes when we are visiting family there and shes been drinking I can tell she gets a bit of an accent. However her grandparents, mom, stepdad and 7 siblings all have heavy accents.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:33 AM

234 posts, read 88,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
As long as you all dont sound like Boston Rob from Survivor, we're good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-4qEb-7o9Y

I love this accent since I watched that season for the first time. Not many people left in the Boston that speak like that guy. The accent is more frequent in the near towns.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:14 AM

1,851 posts, read 818,660 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=omVFxtbZoyw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or