U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2019, 01:57 AM
 
47 posts, read 23,796 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Who know that saying "Oh Lord Jesus" would cause such a up roar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2019, 05:39 PM
 
1,915 posts, read 2,097,462 times
Reputation: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
This accent is very similar to Brooklyn Italians but with less emphasis on their “R’s”, Cranston/Providence Italians very similar. In R.I. the letter “O” often becomes a soft “A”, so, instead of “historic” for example, it becomes “histahric”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 05:53 PM
 
Location: South to West
495 posts, read 124,801 times
Reputation: 915
I don't like those Northeast accents at all but then, I'm a bit of a snob where dialects are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 05:15 AM
 
1,865 posts, read 824,899 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I don't like those Northeast accents at all but then, I'm a bit of a snob where dialects are concerned.
great story. You sound intellectual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Preussen
262 posts, read 91,935 times
Reputation: 161
Reional accents and dialects are great whatever country. It is a shame that they probably will not survive globalization. I do not know a single person my age that speak our native language. Some still have an accent even though they don't know the language but most do not even have an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
9,053 posts, read 8,038,265 times
Reputation: 8037
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
This accent is very similar to Brooklyn Italians but with less emphasis on their “R’s”, Cranston/Providence Italians very similar. In R.I. the letter “O” often becomes a soft “A”, so, instead of “historic” for example, it becomes “histahric”.
My dad from New Jersey does that too. Not Italian though. Not sure what the deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Quincy, Mass. (near Boston)
2,222 posts, read 3,760,695 times
Reputation: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If I'm in a business meeting somewhere else in the country and "Where are you from?" comes up during exchanging pleasantries, I always ask people to guess. I usually get California or Seattle. Nope. Born in New Bedford. I wasn't allowed to have the local accent. You can tell where I'm from based on a few things. Scallops is pronounced SKALL-ups. Rotary. Frappe. Linguica as a pizza topping. Sometimes I'll slip and call the water fountain a bubbler.
Whenever I encounter visitors to Boston and accents come up, I mention that locals pronounce it "skall-ups." They can't believe it!

My college roommate from West Springfield pronounced it that way although he didn't otherwise have any trace of a Boston accent growing up that far from Boston.

***Is scallops pronounced that way just in and around Boston -- or all or nearly all of New England?***

I've lived here decades since college though didn't grow up in New England. I refuse to pronounce it the local way...though I do think it sounds sophisticated. Sort of how Sen. John Kerry may say it, like a fish bone stuck in one"s throat?

Though one young woman I encountered from somewhere in New England said she pronounces it "skall-ups" -- but will say "scaaalloped potatoes." Hmmm...

I say "scaaaalops" and do admit it sounds hick and unsophisticated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,515 posts, read 19,507,419 times
Reputation: 35181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Whenever I encounter visitors to Boston and accents come up, I mention that locals pronounce it "skall-ups." They can't believe it!

My college roommate from West Springfield pronounced it that way although he didn't otherwise have any trace of a Boston accent growing up that far from Boston.

***Is scallops pronounced that way just in and around Boston -- or all or nearly all of New England?***

I've lived here decades since college though didn't grow up in New England. I refuse to pronounce it the local way...though I do think it sounds sophisticated. Sort of how Sen. John Kerry may say it, like a fish bone stuck in one"s throat?

Though one young woman I encountered from somewhere in New England said she pronounces it "skall-ups" -- but will say "scaaalloped potatoes." Hmmm...

I say "scaaaalops" and do admit it sounds hick and unsophisticated.
I say "scallops", not "scaaaaaaaallops" and I'm from western MA. The "a" is sort of like the "a" in scale.

I think "scaaaaaalops"/"scollops" sounds posh!

We also say "grinder" but I thought Boston people said "sub." We say "rotary" and there's a famous one in East Longmeadow.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts & Hilton Head, SC
7,741 posts, read 11,692,328 times
Reputation: 6151
Yeah, I say "skall-ups".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,905 posts, read 27,270,291 times
Reputation: 27259
I pronounce it the way she says it:

Listen here

And now I want some for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top