U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 01:57 AM

47 posts, read 23,796 times

Advertisements

Who know that saying "Oh Lord Jesus" would cause such a up roar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 05:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,097,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
This accent is very similar to Brooklyn Italians but with less emphasis on their “R’s”, Cranston/Providence Italians very similar. In R.I. the letter “O” often becomes a soft “A”, so, instead of “historic” for example, it becomes “histahric”.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:53 PM

495 posts, read 124,801 times
I don't like those Northeast accents at all but then, I'm a bit of a snob where dialects are concerned.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:15 AM

1,865 posts, read 824,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I don't like those Northeast accents at all but then, I'm a bit of a snob where dialects are concerned.
great story. You sound intellectual.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:22 AM

262 posts, read 91,935 times
Reional accents and dialects are great whatever country. It is a shame that they probably will not survive globalization. I do not know a single person my age that speak our native language. Some still have an accent even though they don't know the language but most do not even have an accent.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 8,038,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
This accent is very similar to Brooklyn Italians but with less emphasis on their “R’s”, Cranston/Providence Italians very similar. In R.I. the letter “O” often becomes a soft “A”, so, instead of “historic” for example, it becomes “histahric”.
My dad from New Jersey does that too. Not Italian though. Not sure what the deal is.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,760,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If I'm in a business meeting somewhere else in the country and "Where are you from?" comes up during exchanging pleasantries, I always ask people to guess. I usually get California or Seattle. Nope. Born in New Bedford. I wasn't allowed to have the local accent. You can tell where I'm from based on a few things. Scallops is pronounced SKALL-ups. Rotary. Frappe. Linguica as a pizza topping. Sometimes I'll slip and call the water fountain a bubbler.
Whenever I encounter visitors to Boston and accents come up, I mention that locals pronounce it "skall-ups." They can't believe it!

My college roommate from West Springfield pronounced it that way although he didn't otherwise have any trace of a Boston accent growing up that far from Boston.

***Is scallops pronounced that way just in and around Boston -- or all or nearly all of New England?***

I've lived here decades since college though didn't grow up in New England. I refuse to pronounce it the local way...though I do think it sounds sophisticated. Sort of how Sen. John Kerry may say it, like a fish bone stuck in one"s throat?

Though one young woman I encountered from somewhere in New England said she pronounces it "skall-ups" -- but will say "scaaalloped potatoes." Hmmm...

I say "scaaaalops" and do admit it sounds hick and unsophisticated.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 AM

20,515 posts, read 19,507,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Whenever I encounter visitors to Boston and accents come up, I mention that locals pronounce it "skall-ups." They can't believe it!

My college roommate from West Springfield pronounced it that way although he didn't otherwise have any trace of a Boston accent growing up that far from Boston.

***Is scallops pronounced that way just in and around Boston -- or all or nearly all of New England?***

I've lived here decades since college though didn't grow up in New England. I refuse to pronounce it the local way...though I do think it sounds sophisticated. Sort of how Sen. John Kerry may say it, like a fish bone stuck in one"s throat?

Though one young woman I encountered from somewhere in New England said she pronounces it "skall-ups" -- but will say "scaaalloped potatoes." Hmmm...

I say "scaaaalops" and do admit it sounds hick and unsophisticated.
I say "scallops", not "scaaaaaaaallops" and I'm from western MA. The "a" is sort of like the "a" in scale.

I think "scaaaaaalops"/"scollops" sounds posh!

We also say "grinder" but I thought Boston people said "sub." We say "rotary" and there's a famous one in East Longmeadow.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 AM

7,741 posts, read 11,692,328 times
Yeah, I say "skall-ups".

Old 10-03-2019, 11:36 AM

16,905 posts, read 27,270,291 times
I pronounce it the way she says it:

Listen here

And now I want some for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or