Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 14,916 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post here.

I am 16 years old and graduating high school this spring. I am from outside of New England. (was homeschooled) I wish to attend college in the Boston area and am thinking of a few options. I will apply to BC, BU, NEU, Harvard and MIT but my chances of getting into those schools are very slim. I am considering Suffolk and Umass Boston. I have visited both campuses and like Suffolk better but Umass isn't bad either. I really like the fact that students at Umass tend to be more focused on studying and getting their degree. I don't like the party crowd so I would ft in at Umass.

My questions are:
-Which school is better for Finance?
-Is suffolk more of a party school or is it pretty similar to Umass Boston?
-Is the neighborhood around Umass safe?
-How long of a walk is the red line from the middle of Umass campus?
-Is that section of the Red Line safe? It seems like it goes through some bad areas.
-Which school is more respected inside New England?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:27 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
I don’t know much about the programs at either school. In my experience, Suffolk is pretty well regarded in the area and isn’t considered more of a party school than BC, BU, NU, etc. Both schools are respected in the area. Maybe Suffolk is seen as being more hoitie-toitie as it’s a private school and UMass is public.

The area around UMass is safe enough: if you walk west from the station you reach Uphams Corner, which is one of the city’s less-polished neighborhoods, and there are some housing projects north of the station along Old Colony. The red line is fine until you get to Fields Corner and Shawmut, and even those areas are generally fine during the day.

Looks like the walk from the station to campus could be 15-25 min, but I’ve never walked it myself.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-03-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 08:59 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMass20 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here.

I am 16 years old and graduating high school this spring. I am from outside of New England. (was homeschooled) I wish to attend college in the Boston area and am thinking of a few options. I will apply to BC, BU, NEU, Harvard and MIT but my chances of getting into those schools are very slim. I am considering Suffolk and Umass Boston. I have visited both campuses and like Suffolk better but Umass isn't bad either. I really like the fact that students at Umass tend to be more focused on studying and getting their degree. I don't like the party crowd so I would ft in at Umass.

My questions are:
-Which school is better for Finance?
Not sure.

-Is suffolk more of a party school or is it pretty similar to Umass Boston?
Neither are party schools.

-Is the neighborhood around Umass safe?
Like the other poster said, stay east of the train tracks and avoid the Old Colony projects to the north.

-How long of a walk is the red line from the middle of Umass campus?
15 minutes maybe? I think there is a shuttle.

-Is that section of the Red Line safe? It seems like it goes through some bad areas.
The Braintree Line is fine, Ashmont Line most of the problems will be south of Savin Hill.

-Which school is more respected inside New England?
Think it depends on the major, again I don't know much about the Finance program at either school.

Thanks!

My responses in red.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:02 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
My opinion is that Suffolk is a better regarded institution.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:32 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
My opinion is that Suffolk is a better regarded institution.
Agree.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 AM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Suffolk has a better campus.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:12 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Suffolk has a better campus.
Suffolk doesn’t have much of a campus? Better location, sure..

Old 11-05-2019, 04:19 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Suffolk doesn’t have much of a campus? Better location, sure..
Same difference. Downtown Boston is the campus. Their own slogan is: Our Campus is Boston.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
UMass Boston is a great grad school. there isnt much for undegrad and its very commuter heavy, but you land great jobs.. you just might miss out on the college experience.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:09 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I think locals have a higher opinion of Suffolk than it deserves. Those "from off" would have a higher opinion of UMass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston