U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 87 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I may be starting a new job where I will be commuting to Brigham & Women's Faulkner Hospital some days of the week. I'm from southeastern MA originally, so I'm not super familiar with Boston public transportation. It looks like the closest train station to Faulkner is Forest Hills. Then it looks like I could either take another MBTA bus to the hospital, or I could cut through this park area in between the Forest Hills station and the hospital. It would only be a 20 minute 1 mile walk.

My question is... how safe is that area during normal working hours (8-5 ish)? Is that park area between Faulkner Hospital and the Forest Hills station relatively safe during the day, to walk through? Is that something other commuters do? Are people mugged there during the day?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 778,718 times
The Arboretum park is glorious and perfectly safe during those times. It would be a dream to walk through on my way to work.

I would stay to the right on the arbor way sidewalk until the side park entrance. There is an entrance directly in front of the upper busway, but that takes you to the more secluded area of the Arbs (where the shadier people hang out)

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,499,348 times
It’s safe. Hectic with teenagers but safe

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

1,888 posts, read 3,465,563 times
The #38 bus stops directly in front of the Faulkner Hospital. I assume you will be commuting opposite the direction most folks take to get into Downtown Boston so the ride oughtn't be that bad. Forest Hills Station is a very busy transit hub and I've never felt unsafe there although sometimes you might encounter annoying people, loud high school students, etc. depending on the time of the day. The Arboretum is mostly very safe and pleasant to walk through but it is a rather long and windy trek and may require going up and down a hill to get the most direct walking route to the Faulkner Hospital. It's good exercise though.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

8,820 posts, read 7,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The #38 bus stops directly in front of the Faulkner Hospital.
Pretty infrequent schedule though from what I recall. It may work for OP's commute, it may not.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 5,543 times
As an earlier poster noted, it's best to walk along the Arborway to enter the Arboretum. The portion of the Arboretum directly across from the upper busway is a little more dicey -- there was a report of a sexual assault there a few years ago, and although they've done a better job at keeping the overgrowth trimmed and improving the lighting and the pathway, that section is still not a place I'd like to walk through when it's getting dark. You can also reach the Arboretum by walking along South Street (past the VFW post), but the sidewalk doesn't run all the way there, and it's a narrow, curvy road with a lot of cars cutting through (plus you'd have to walk in the road once we start getting snow). The walk from Forest Hills up the Arborway is newly refurbished, with wide sidewalks, better lighting, and bike paths; there's increased foot traffic coming from Jamaica Plain these days. I've known a few women who lived near Faulkner who took the walk through the Arboretum as part of their commute even before the area was refurbished, and they loved it (they did, however, stick to the Arborway route). Forest Hills itself is absolutely fine.

It's also good to note that the Arboretum is only open during daylight hours, which may affect walking through there during the winter, when it gets dark early.

Finally, the 38 bus, which goes to Faulkner, is not particularly frequent (perhaps every twenty minutes at rush hour?), and recently it's been running up to an additional twenty minutes late during rush hour. However, I have seen a shuttle bus to Faulkner stop at Forest Hills -- it may be worth asking whether the hospital runs a shuttle bus for employees, like a lot of hospitals do.

Old Today, 07:10 AM

10 posts, read 14,385 times
Default There's a Free Shuttle!

The walk through the Arnold Arboretum is a great, beautiful walk through one of the most meticulously maintained foliage sanctuaries in the world (*sigh* miss living in the area!), but there is also... a free shuttle service every 10-20 minutes!
I'm surprised they didn't tell you about it in the interviewing/hiring process...

https://www.brighamandwomensfaulkner.org/patients-and-families/forest-hills-shuttle

[FYI: I tested clicking on the link from here and it takes out the colon ":" after the "https" so you may have to put it back in for the link to work.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston