U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:01 PM

8,994 posts, read 7,976,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Good article. In my case I just don't frequent bars much anymore. But, when I did this spot was held very dear to my heart. So, yeah. Sad. Between the long gone mikly way, james Gate and Doyle's I would say JP is indeed suffering a change of guards. Shame because I believe the younger crowd these days prefer a more shiny, new, fad filled, instagramable experience over a genuine pub atmosphere.
Unfortunately it's true. These places are an endangered species. Quiet Man in Southie, Old Timer in Clinton, many more casualties to list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 AM

2,882 posts, read 1,583,686 times
its the liquor license system. It over inflates the value of a liquor license and depreciates property values in neighborhoods all over Boston.

Because a liquor license holds values it encourages long time mom and pops to sell their license to well financed major restaurants or chains and discourages new restaurants from opening up in neighborhoods-forget bars. The lack of dining makes neighborhoods less communal, less intriguing and less valuable. Cambridge did away with their system.

Much like the marijuana licensing system-this encourages cronyism, insider-ism, graft and corruption. Notice, were talking 455,000 just to have a liqour license hundred of thousands of dollars just to open a pot shop. Why is it other states dont need this?

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-12-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 AM

1,833 posts, read 808,315 times
Indeed. It's crazy. It's the number 1 reason why we are losing so many businesses to large conglomerates that can play this silly game.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 16,331,168 times
Quote:
Good article. In my case I just don't frequent bars much anymore. But, when I did this spot was held very dear to my heart. So, yeah. Sad. Between the long gone mikly way, james Gate and Doyle's I would say JP is indeed suffering a change of guards. Shame because I believe the younger crowd these days prefer a more shiny, new, fad filled, instagramable experience over a genuine pub atmosphere.
I don't know that this is what's killing pubs and dives. Narcissism isn't new, it just manifests in different forms over time. The vapid Instagram crowd today was not yesterday's pub crowd. There have always been "trendy" places to go out to eat/drink, and there continue to be trendy places to go drink (complete with decor and menu items made for Instagram which is very much an intentional part of business models today). I think Brewery culture is putting a major hurt on pubs. Breweries have long been places to tour and sample (Sam Adams is case in point - and people who wanted to sit and have a beer would continue on to Doyle's), but the Taproom has become a major thing in recent years. Some of them are absolutely made for Instagram (ever visit Night Shift's Lovejoy Wharf?), but most have supplanted pubs as the laid back environment to eat and enjoy a beer.

I'm guilty of favoring taprooms over pubs in recent years. I'm not an Instagrammer or a trend follower per say, but when I want an after work beer or a Saturday/Sunday afternoon beer, I'm probably choosing a place like Mystic or Bone Up over Sligo or Olde Magoun (though I enjoy and do visit both of those).

Old 09-13-2019, 08:56 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,238,827 times
Quote:
Doyles is not just an old bar that has nostalgia. it had political significance too. It was where irish immigrants would drink with italian immigrants and boston natives.
I have seen Ted Kennedy there more than once . Mennino a few times.
It's basically one of the reasons boston has it's image of hard working immigrant DNA.
Wow, the spin we can put on things.

A bunch of guys go to some dive bar after work to ignore their wives and families, selfishly spend a chunk of their meager wages on liquor and maybe some betting, and head home drunk to give their families some extra abuse behind closed doors. And this somehow becomes the "salt of the Earth," the "hard working immigrant."

I thought we were past this manipulative crap by now.

Everyone likes bars, until I try to open one on your block...

Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 AM

13,484 posts, read 25,919,309 times
My former boyfriend (1986!) worked there for a long time as bartender, Dick M.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 808,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

A bunch of guys go to some dive bar after work to ignore their wives and families, selfishly spend a chunk of their meager wages on liquor and maybe some betting, and head home drunk to give their families some extra abuse behind closed doors. And this somehow becomes the "salt of the Earth," the "hard working immigrant."

Maybe try checking into all the the event hosted there in the past and present. Boston Police bag pipers, Political fundraisers, Community fundraisers, 5k Charity runs etc.
Every time i've been there for brunch it was as family friendly as your local ihop.

just because you can't handle a few pints......

Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 AM

8,994 posts, read 7,976,806 times
Quote:

Doyle's? Dive bar?

Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 AM

9,016 posts, read 7,989,294 times
Quote:

Lol so dumb

Old 09-13-2019, 12:40 PM

2,882 posts, read 1,583,686 times
Quote:

Agreed about nostalgia for dive bars. Idk why people are in favor of dive bars? It literally is everything you just said. Now ones that put emphasis on food, socialization and creative cocktails and cater to diverse clientele are more beneficial to a neighborhood. Or leave the simple bars downtown. I personally love SideBar in DTX. Simple, affordable, central, friendly people. People from all walks of life and near retail and public transport.

Doyle’s is important though because it really is a cultural and political institution.

Still liquor license is seriously flawed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or