U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 AM

3,732 posts, read 3,937,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
How is a southern accent perceived in Boston? Is it something people will notice or comment on if they hear it?
It's going to stand out, just as a British accent stands out. You might get people who are curious where you're from and ask. I don't think you'll have to deal with any sort of harassment or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 03:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,184,495 times
It will stand out for certain. Will people judge you for it? No more and no less than they judge everyone else. You'll catch more flak for wearing out of town pro sports paraphernalia than a southern accent.

To be safe, only wear college sports gear. All the colleges up there are lousy at many team sports ;-)

Old 09-18-2019, 03:36 PM

686 posts, read 264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty76 View Post
Oh lord Jesus. Oh well. I have a southern accent and I almost moved to Boston, but I still thinking about it.
Depends on area really. Closer to Boston, noone bats an eye. But if you go way out, I dont know how it is perceived.

In the South Shore, there is Coffee Chain called Mary Lou's that was founded and based on a woman from either SC or TX with a strong thick Southern accent.

Honestly, Southern accents are seen as attractive.. so in an educated metro like Boston, it will be more accepted than not for sure.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 PM

105 posts, read 98,404 times
It all depends. An educated liberal minded person with a moderate southern accent shouldn't have much of a problem, but if you combine a really thick drawl with conservative Republican politics, you might not make a lot of friends. Actually over the years I've read stories of Southerners moving to northern cities who report running into a perception that they are less smart because of the accent, having trouble getting promoted, and finally signing up for classes to lose it. However, over the past decade Boston has seen an influx of people from all over the world with a myriad of accents, so maybe it's less of an issue today.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 PM

8,918 posts, read 7,922,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It will stand out in environments which are northeast/midwest talent heavy. No one will care so long as you're competent, maintain an expected pace of delivery, and leave Jesus at home.
Care to elaborate???

Competency is expected by anybody with any accent local or non. Religion is expected to be kept private in professional settings, so are politics and sex. That is a pretty strange random thing to throw out there at least in my eyes. "Northeast/Midwest talent heavy"???? Certainly the first time I heard that term in almost my entire life here in NE. WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ACCENTS? Bostonians are a grown up bunch, we tend to judge a little but usually based on how smart or dumb one acts not inconsequential stuff like speaking with a drawl.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 PM

609 posts, read 1,587,871 times
Will it stand out? Of course. It has no bearing on the perception of the speaker’s intelligence. If anything, spoken by someone who is intelligent and articulate, it is a lot more pleasant to hear than the Boston accent(s). What is so great anyway about some overweight person with a “B” Cap leaving Dunkin Donuts exclaiming “ I fuh-gawt to put awn my Red Sawx jeh-zee this mawn-in! Now I cahhnt go into Bawstin tuh-day to pick up my lawbstah chowdaah!” Lol. Your accent will be a welcome addition.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:11 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,207,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Care to elaborate???

Competency is expected by anybody with any accent local or non. Religion is expected to be kept private in professional settings, so are politics and sex. That is a pretty strange random thing to throw out there at least in my eyes. "Northeast/Midwest talent heavy"???? Certainly the first time I heard that term in almost my entire life here in NE. WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ACCENTS? Bostonians are a grown up bunch, we tend to judge a little but usually based on how smart or dumb one acts not inconsequential stuff like speaking with a drawl.
"Northeast/midwest talent heavy" = people who have relatively neutral accents (in the context of MA) and expect a certain pace to interactions. I don't notice a cultural difference with my coworker/clients from Ohio, upper mid-west (MI, MN), urban KS, Colorado, etc. But my client offices/workers in Jacksonville, Carolinas, etc.? The pace and interactions are very different - not a competency issue per se, just less direct and paced differently. At minimum, it might be an unexpected cultural change depending on a transplants prior environments. And if management is less understanding, it could be cap growth dues to self bias.

As for me mentioning religion ... yes, it seems obvious these things should not be discussed and few do in a serious way. This said, it also applies to all those "folksy" Jesus, devil, bless you, etc. religious colloquialisms. You simply don't hear religious themes referenced often beyond the occasional "oh gaaaaawd!", but a significant percentage of my office believes my atheist GA/TX raised coworker is an Evangelical because he just can't help saying s__t like "the devil to pay" or "sweet Jesus". I'm certain he says it with intended irony, but regardless of why, it's not helping his perception with those whom matter (clients, leadership).

Old 09-19-2019, 11:18 AM

8,960 posts, read 7,935,258 times
Quote:
As for me mentioning religion ... yes, it seems obvious these things should not be discussed and few do in a serious way. This said, it also applies to all those "folksy" Jesus, devil, bless you, etc. religious colloquialisms. You simply don't hear religious themes referenced often beyond the occasional "oh gaaaaawd!", but a significant percentage of my office believes my atheist GA/TX raised coworker is an Evangelical because he just can't help saying s__t like "the devil to pay" or "sweet Jesus". I'm certain he says it with intended irony, but regardless of why, it's not helping his perception with those whom matter (clients, leadership).
I, too, hate unique linguistic development and love being sensitive about things I don't actually understand.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM

5,358 posts, read 5,407,115 times
Quote:
No one will care so long as you're competent, maintain an expected pace of delivery, and leave Jesus at home.
That right there.

If you're in Boston (or close to the city - Brookline, Cambridge, etc.), there are so many different accents from all over the world that a Southern accent will just be another accent.

Come on up my little slack jawed yokel and tell me how Jesus will protect me against snake bites!

I'm very sorry for not being able to help myself...the Devil is in me!

Noticeable - yes, stand out - maybe somewhat.

Will people make fun? Probably some...people are idiots.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:23 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,207,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Will it stand out? Of course. It has no bearing on the perception of the speaker’s intelligence. If anything, spoken by someone who is intelligent and articulate, it is a lot more pleasant to hear than the Boston accent(s). What is so great anyway about some overweight person with a “B” Cap leaving Dunkin Donuts exclaiming “ I fuh-gawt to put awn my Red Sawx jeh-zee this mawn-in! Now I cahhnt go into Bawstin tuh-day to pick up my lawbstah chowdaah!” Lol. Your accent will be a welcome addition.
An overwhelming number of people in the region (who are U.S. born) have an upper mid-west, upper mid-land, or fairly neutral Northeast/west coast accent.

This means someone with a severe north shore or south shore accident will stick out just as badly as someone talking like Foghorn Leghorn. I have friends from Woburn who had brutal accents when in college and I've noticed they've progressively toned it down as they've grown professionally - it's something which has a strong negative association with poverty / the working class and they've consciously tried to mitigate this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or