U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 01:51 AM

56,226 posts, read 75,377,650 times

Advertisements

Treated like someone got off on the wrong bus stop
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,221,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

If they are worried about what some pinhead halfway across the country thinks due to some Ben Affleck movie, then YES they would be insecure.

cops, construction workers "working class poor"???

No you did not hit a trigger, but I continue to be wowed by City-Data and how light years away it is from the world I live in.

Working class / poor. Regardless, you understand the point Iím making, which is to say a heavy Boston accent is not necessarily seen, expected, or portrayed at certain levels of education and environment. Thatís not to say it doesnít happen (see our local politicos, Gina Mcarthy), or that itís an inherent issue, but it is strongly associated to a few traditionally working class towns.

Given the Boston areaís classism, I donít think itís fair to judge people who donít wish to fall victim to it. My friends grew up in an environment where a heavy accent was status quo. They then attended state university which was overwhelmingly kids from the wealthier Boston Ďburbs, metro west, etc. who had fairly neutral accents. They quickly realized their accent was a defining feature, then apparently decided to lessen the definition - no shame in that. Itís basic assimilation.

As for those ragging me about the ďleave Jesus at homeĒ comment. Yeah, there has been, in my experience, a consistent failure by southern and TX transplants to so. Itís engrained in their culture, so I understand the root, but itís bad for business in a region as secular as Boston.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:46 AM

8,992 posts, read 7,973,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
lEavee JesUS at Hme plZ
SRRIE!

Off to therapy now, guy at work with a southern accent said "Bless you" to me after I sneezed. When I go back, going to demand a "safe space".

Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 AM

1,832 posts, read 807,386 times
At the very least it shows some sort of narrow minded person who has never worked in a culture of professionals or has been further than new hampshire or cape cod for labahhhhh day.
Even when speaking a different language I can pick up regional and proper speak.

I guess it's about if you really care about it or not. The same way i see grown men with 13 Patriots stickers on their truck listening to sports radio and crushing a 36oz cream and coffee. For some reason i judge (sadly) that this person may not have an encompassing world view.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:26 AM

5,365 posts, read 5,428,326 times
See what you did OP.

Your stupid question has started controversy. We don't want your kind 'round here!

Hope the sarcasm is coming through. Welcome to town! The outhouse is on your right, just past the banjos.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 AM

668 posts, read 389,924 times
Intelligent people pay attention to the content not the accent. Hang out with intelligent people.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:32 AM

5,553 posts, read 1,728,798 times
Shrewsburried, live and let live.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,221,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Shrewsburried, live and let live.
That's my path with neighbors and family, but if I'm resourcing talent with $8K/week burn rates on complex systems design which are client-facing, I'm taking public disclosures on personal beliefs into consideration. And this is my point with "leave Jesus at home" - most understand, including myself, a good 40-50 of population has some faith based beliefs, but there is an expectation that it be left at home as a workplace should be secular. When people do not adhere to this standard, it makes others question their judgement/social aptitude. I have had issues with this in the past and the non-compliant were never of Northeast origin (despite a number of deeply faithful people). They were always southern or lower mid-western/Texan.

Additionally, lets not conflate my belief that "people can and often are classified by their accent' with some kind of personal ideology. I could really give a toss about your accent, but to say there isn't strong correlation with working class types (e.g., tradesmen) having stronger MA accents .... well that is, at best, incredibly naive. You're telling me when SNL/Casey Affleck imagined that Dunks skit it just happened in a vacuum? Uhhh ... no.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,428,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That's my path with neighbors and family, but if I'm resourcing talent with $8K/week burn rates on complex systems design which are client-facing, I'm taking public disclosures on personal beliefs into consideration. And this is my point with "leave Jesus at home" - most understand, including myself, a good 40-50 of population has some faith based beliefs, but there is an expectation that it be left at home as a workplace should be secular. When people do not adhere to this standard, it makes others question their judgement/social aptitude. I have had issues with this in the past and the non-compliant were never of Northeast origin (despite a number of deeply faithful people). They were always southern or lower mid-western/Texan.

Additionally, lets not conflate my belief that "people can and often are classified by their accent' with some kind of personal ideology. I could really give a toss about your accent, but to say there isn't strong correlation with working class types (e.g., tradesmen) having stronger MA accents .... well that is, at best, incredibly naive. You're telling me when SNL/Casey Affleck imagined that Dunks skit it just happened in a vacuum? Uhhh ... no.
Amen!

Old 09-20-2019, 05:47 PM

9,362 posts, read 8,091,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It will stand out in environments which are northeast/midwest talent heavy. No one will care so long as you're competent, maintain an expected pace of delivery, and leave Jesus at home.
My wife was bred, born and educated in SC. Later in life (age 40 on), she was an upper level, award winning Comm of MA employee. They loved her. A State Commissioner (her boss) once said to his people at a retreat, she does not say much but when she does I suggest you pay attention to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or