Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 12:05 AM

12,374 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, people in New England aren't monolithic, and I think that reactions can vary widely. I don't think most people will care. Likewise, when I have traveled to the South, similarly, most people were polite to me, but it wasn't rare where people had a big chip on their shoulder and I encountered hostility the instant they realized I was a Yankee - even in areas like RTP, North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
At the very least it shows some sort of narrow minded person who has never worked in a culture of professionals or has been further than new hampshire or cape cod for labahhhhh day.
Even when speaking a different language I can pick up regional and proper speak.

I guess it's about if you really care about it or not. The same way i see grown men with 13 Patriots stickers on their truck listening to sports radio and crushing a 36oz cream and coffee. For some reason i judge (sadly) that this person may not have an encompassing world view.

I work in a culture of professionals. I also work in a culture of diversity and have to network with and deal with cliental from all around. Different accents, colors, cultures, beliefs and communication styles. This current generation of sheltered snowflakes is going to have a very difficult time functioning in today's world, without having the ability to handle differences at least on a business level. In fact it's not really a matter of "going to", I am already seeing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That's my path with neighbors and family, but if I'm resourcing talent with $8K/week burn rates on complex systems design which are client-facing, I'm taking public disclosures on personal beliefs into consideration. And this is my point with "leave Jesus at home" - most understand, including myself, a good 40-50 of population has some faith based beliefs, but there is an expectation that it be left at home as a workplace should be secular. When people do not adhere to this standard, it makes others question their judgement/social aptitude. I have had issues with this in the past and the non-compliant were never of Northeast origin (despite a number of deeply faithful people). They were always southern or lower mid-western/Texan.

Additionally, lets not conflate my belief that "people can and often are classified by their accent' with some kind of personal ideology. I could really give a toss about your accent, but to say there isn't strong correlation with working class types (e.g., tradesmen) having stronger MA accents .... well that is, at best, incredibly naive. You're telling me when SNL/Casey Affleck imagined that Dunks skit it just happened in a vacuum? Uhhh ... no.
OK let me ask you both this. Should I also expect Asians to lose their accent in a professional setting as well? Hispanics??? Or do you just think those with a Boston "accident" need to tone it down?

Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I work in a culture of professionals. I also work in a culture of diversity and have to network with and deal with cliental from all around. Different accents, colors, cultures, beliefs and communication styles. This current generation of sheltered snowflakes is going to have a very difficult time functioning in today's world, without having the ability to handle differences at least on a business level. In fact it's not really a matter of "going to", I am already seeing it...

OK let me ask you both this. Should I also expect Asians to lose their accent in a professional setting as well? Hispanics??? Or do you just think those with a Boston "accident" need to tone it down?
1) gen-z/millenials are, generally speaking, not the ones screaming “build that wall”, so to suggest they’re going to be the root of intolerance is hilariously out of touch with current social dynamics.

2) Asians have little motivation to drop an accent as western born coworkers have little understanding of their class structures, therefor they see little negative bias in a professional environment due accent/dialect. Let me reiterate my point ... again ... since you fail to understand what I’m truly saying here. I’m not, pretty clearly I think, advocating someone drop their accent. I am suggesting that there is a very really correlation between accents and class structures which might cause someone with an accent to tone it down to avoid class associations. While we all wish to live a merit based society, the reality is well short and people adjust accordingly.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:19 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Am I the only one around Boston annoyed by the ubiquitous Cordell & Cordell (domestic litigation firm) radio commercials aired locally in recent years? How many New Englanders (and even metro New Yorkers) would simply end a first date if someone sounded like that, no matter his high education?

I don't know what kind of southern accent that is, but it's annoying. I hate myself for saying it. But I don't think his accent would be taken seriously in many Boston professional or working-class settings, whether colleges or offices.

I've received occasional comments (or even mocked?) locally for having somewhat of a Canadian, Buffalo, Minnesota accent by some of my rideshare and taxi passengers over the years. So I should have sensitivity toward accents, but that Cordell & Cordell guy is annoying.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:36 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm talking about exaggerated accents for effect. Like Southie chick I mentioned. It just tells me she has a small circle where that is seen as a comfort. Just like if the Hispanic you mentioned was calling clients Papi Chulo. There's a time and place for it. Just like sweatpants. Don't bring that to a professional environment. She is a wonderful woman otherwise, but I still cringe when I hear her on the phone. That's all.
I feel this less with people from other countries. My parents moved here 30 years ago and my dad still has a pretty thick accent. That's different.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm talking about exaggerated accents for effect. Like Southie chick I mentioned. It just tells me she has a small circle where that is seen as a comfort. Just like if the Hispanic you mentioned was calling clients Papi Chulo. There's a time and place for it. Just like sweatpants. Don't bring that to a professional environment. She is a wonderful woman otherwise, but I still cringe when I hear her on the phone. That's all.
I feel this less with people from other countries. My parents moved here 30 years ago and my dad still has a pretty thick accent. That's different.
Fair enough.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
1) gen-z/millenials are, generally speaking, not the ones screaming “build that wall”, so to suggest they’re going to be the root of intolerance is hilariously out of touch with current social dynamics. .

Not sure where the wall and border security comes into this conversation, but no younger folk are disinterested in general as for the goings on in the world. You will find that MOST of the loudest (both for and against) the wall trend older. Now going back to the conversation, yes it IS a growing issue particularly among those late 20s/or early 30s and under, in that many seem to shut down or simply unable to communicate or function when it comes to diversity. It's not so much racial, two black (or Asian) and white upper-middle-class ME grads from the Boston suburbs will generally click fine. It's when they venture outside their comfort zone...of course there are exceptions to all of this. But it's not just me noticing the trend, it's been a topic of conversation at work (and among friends from different fields) quite a bit lately as well.

Quote:
2) Asians have little motivation to drop an accent as western born coworkers have little or of their class structures, therefor they see little negative bias in a professional environment due accent/dialect. Let me reiterate my point ... again ... since you fail to understand what I’m truly saying here. I’m not, pretty clearly I think, advocating someone drop their accent. I am suggesting that there is a very really correlation between accents and class structures which might cause someone with an accent to tone it down to avoid class associations. While we all wish to live a merit based society, the reality is well short and people adjust accordingly.
Tell that to the Kennedys.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:03 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
It will stand out for certain. Will people judge you for it? No more and no less than they judge everyone else. You'll catch more flak for wearing out of town pro sports paraphernalia than a southern accent.

To be safe, only wear college sports gear. All the colleges up there are lousy at many team sports ;-)
Wear a BC basketball sweatshirt. People will assume you've suffered enough and leave you alone.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
It will stand out for certain. Will people judge you for it? No more and no less than they judge everyone else. You'll catch more flak for wearing out of town pro sports paraphernalia than a southern accent.

To be safe, only wear college sports gear. All the colleges up there are lousy at many team sports ;-)

Yeah, but a Falcons jersey would get point, a 28-3 remark, and laughter. Boston is an American League town so a Braves hat wouldn't draw any remarks at all. It's not like wearing Yankees gear.

An attractive younger woman with a southern accent is a novelty just like a Brit accent. You wouldn't have to pay for cocktails in the bar. Dunno about male.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Wear a BC basketball sweatshirt. People will assume you've suffered enough and leave you alone.
I moved to the Boston metro area in the late 80s, and I have yet to hear anyone make any kind of reference to BC basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston