Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:41 AM

158 posts, read 144,289 times

Advertisements

Salem is an awesome place to live. I used to live there and really enjoyed it. I live in Colorado now but I’m going back to Salem in a few weeks to see some friends and enjoy the town. There’s no place better to be during Halloween time than Salem! I wish you the best of luck please keep us posted with your journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:10 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,248 times
Thanks Traveler. I really love Salem. How do you like CO compared to MA? Probably better winters in CO.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Hi I’ve been visiting Salem for the last few years with the idea of eventually relocating. this Thanksgiving weekend I’d like to stay in Boston.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a neighborhood similar to Salem? Not too commercial, but near transit, vegan restaurants nearby? Thanks.
Somerville. People who cant afford Somerville often consider Salem and say it has a similar vibe. Easy T ride from the city to Davis Square.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 PM

604 posts, read 561,386 times
Back Bay is too expensive. It’s not a “gentrified area” it’s a major downtown business district with an ultra-rich residential neighborhood on one side. Nothing like Salem.

Waltham is a close analogy to Salem - there’s a denser urbanized area around Moody and Main streets with some great food and nightlife, but it’s still somewhat affordable. It’s in the sweet spot of the gentrification curve.

Somerville and Cambridge are must visits, if you haven’t been.

Quincy Center is under construction but it’s got a happening downtown.

Further afield is Worcester, which is an up and coming city pretty distinct from Boston

Old 09-25-2019, 05:00 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,248 times
Thanks Bos I’m going to try to see Waltham while I’m there as well as Somerville. I never thought of Waltham as being similar to Salem but I’ve never been there. I’m just going to use back bay as a base since it will be a short few days during a holiday weekend.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:15 PM

158 posts, read 144,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Thanks Traveler. I really love Salem. How do you like CO compared to MA? Probably better winters in CO.
You’re very welcome. Colorado is great. Denver is a fun city with lots to do and it’s nice being close to so many parks, mountains etc. I will say that I miss the greenery of New England and also the proximity to so many other cool places. I took that for granted when I lived there. You have Boston, the north shore towns, Cape Cod, Portsmouth NH, Portland and Ogunquit Maine, Providence RI etc all within an hour or two drive. Here in Colorado you are pretty land locked.

I’m very excited to be in Salem in a few weeks to see friends and enjoy the town. It’s such a charming cool town and has a vibe like no other place I have been to.

This will be my first full winter in Colorado, but from what I have heard from the locals they are not too bad at all. We shall see! Enjoy your time in Boston in November
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston