U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,197,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I used to like Chicago's, but that was probably 15 years ago. Hasn't been on my radar since. But yeah, Austin is pretty great too.

I found the music scene to be lacking in SF itself when I lived there (10 years or so ago), but was pretty happening in Oakland.

Tons of this is pretty dependent on what genres you're into. A lot of it, actually.

(Edit for clarity, I don't go to both Portland and Seattle yearly, but one or the other. This year is was Seattle.)
Agreed on SF. It's similar to Boston in scale.. Pretty underwhelming.

Chicago is still at it. I could spend weeks navigating the Wicker Park live music scene. Substantial 'underground' scene that is as authentic as it is sizable.

I'm an Indie/Alternative rock fan. Seattle had a lot of solid bands through the mid 2000s, and then kind of fell of the map for me. The days of Modest Mouse are long gone.

Atlanta probably has the most underrated rock scene of any city in the country. Overshadowed by the local hip hop success and by Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

35,408 posts, read 25,775,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chicago is still at it. I could spend weeks navigating the Wicker Park live music scene. Substantial 'underground' scene that is as authentic as it is sizable.

I'm an Indie/Alternative rock fan. Seattle had a lot of solid bands through the mid 2000s, and then kind of fell of the map for me. The days of Modest Mouse are long gone.

Atlanta probably has the most underrated rock scene of any city in the country. Overshadowed by the local hip hop success and by Nashville.

Fair enough. When I spent time in Chicago I largely went to the Fireside Bowl, that was great. Don't think that exists anymore. My girlfriend mostly dragged me to the Metro. Hated that place. I do love Chicago, its probably my favorite large city in the U.S. for its price. It has everything and its affordable. Had tons of fun at Delilah's, Tuman's, etc. I'm sure its still great, I just lost touch with it.

Old Today, 04:39 PM

9,363 posts, read 8,091,682 times
There was a famous nightclub/restaurant owner in NY in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's. His name was Toots Shore. His clientele ranged from Frank Sinatra to lowly US Navy sailors (which I was when I met him). He closed his clubs at mid-night as he said if you have not accomplished what you want to do by then, go home, get some sleep, and come back tomorrow night and try again. Nothing good happens after mid-night.

Should places allowed to be open 24/7? I say yes, but Toots had some words of wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or