U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Minnesota nice is a thing, its real, and I don't care for it. It's... well, nevermind.

That's one reason I prefer Wisconsinites. Plus, they have fried cheese curds n' ranch.

Well if it helps any I'm from WI, but have been in MN since college. I make sure I stock up on good curds and brats every time I'm home. Thank you again for all your extra info; I really appreciate it. Now I just need some favorable luck in openings to avoid a major career change.

And thanks to everyone else for you added information about cost of living, neighborhoods, etc.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 3,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakytah View Post
My wife and I (late 20s to mid 30s) are considering a move from Minneapolis for a promotion within her company. We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of the move and Iím looking for a bit of advice. The cost of living has me a bit nervous, mostly because I work in a very specialized field in natural resources as an aquatic biologist and Iím unsure how likely Iíll get a similar paying job to what I have currently. I have a masters degree in conservation sciences with close to 10 years experience (2 years entry level, 3 years supervisory and 5 consulting) working for the State of MN.

Minnesota has a very well funded and large natural resource division (the land of 10,000 lakes) and Iím not sure how likely Iíd be able to stay in the same field in Boston. From what I can tell, MA has 2 people directly doing what I do now, comparing that to about 20 or so here in MN. Does anyone have insight on environmental opportunities in general Boston area? Finding good opportunities in my field takes a bit of targeted searching, and without knowing the landscape (non-profits, consulting firms, etc.) itís hard to see whatís out there through typical employment searches. If I have to move out of my field I donít know how competitive Iíll be since the majority of my work experience is on the government side.

From a cost of living perspective - we are currently in a 1st ring suburb of Minneapolis in a 1,800 sq ft house, decent yard, and 2 car attached garage for about $300k. As a hypothetical if her salary were $100k, what would I need to earn in order to afford a house relatively close to the city? We have 2 medium sized dogs, and I canít see them transitioning to apartment/no yard life well.

Thank you!
A similar house would be $600-900K depending on the town. Assuming you can put 20% down, and including the property taxes, this would probably cost you about $4,000 per month at the mid-point (again, can vary quite a bit based on the town and how high taxes are). Per year this is $48K and if you use the rule of thumb to not spend more than 35% of your gross income on housing, you'd have to make ~$140K per year at a minimum. Obviously, how much you are willing to spend on housing is very different from person to person, but just to answer your question in broad terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or