U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:43 PM

11 posts, read 5,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
So OP, you are in your mid 50's = mature. I say you should strongly consider making the move. 30 yrs in one place is a long time. Make a change, do something different. Life goes fast, do something that is interesting and consuming. It's not all about money. 150k here is good, especially if you are not raising a family.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is part of what I'm thinking: a big change would not be a bad idea.

And am I correct that even if I was only grossing 125k or slightly less, a good QOL is still possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
How important is weather to you? I personally don't think I could ever leave that California sunshine but some people don't seem to care about weather as much.
Yeah.... that is one of my biggest concerns. I am an outdoorsy guy, as I mentioned above, and the long grey gloom of cold and rain might affect me more than others.

But I'm also looking at the fact that there is benefit to that: green lush landscapes, healthy environment (no forest fires or water shortage), having a different wardrobe for winter, etc...

Hmmmm.... food for thought.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:48 PM

9,053 posts, read 8,035,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSongs View Post
You make excellent points. I was basically asking people's level of happiness - which is kind of a nebulous question, I admit. I hear people my age talking about leaving NYC, LA, London, etc and wondered.

Also - I am originally from CLE and my whole family is still there. That town sure has become a different place since I left. I really like going back.
Well, I can certainly vouch for the returning to Cleveland route. Been great so far. Feel free to DM me any time if that holds any interest for ya.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
You should really look at places like Austin, Raleigh, etc or smaller cities in the sun belt, where weather, COL and QOL are going to be so so much better. Boston has been good to me, but it's a rat race, no different from any other major city. If you need the Old World feel.. move to Barcelona or something
Thanks for the reply. You make good points...

I like the cities you mention but have no real connection or opportunities there. I do have both in Boston, which is why I'd consider it.

One thing I might like about the "rat race" is the fact that it's a pedestrian city and you're constantly around people, whereas in LA you are in your car MAYBE going to meet some friends. ;-)

What part of Boston do you live in? What part do you work in?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:25 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,623,036 times
You're around people in Boston but since youre not in college it'll be very hard to make friends-i assume. People dont talk to each other and arent as open as in LA. They say the empty-nester population in Boston is growing but idk how real that is on the ground level. Dont think itd be a bad move for you just probably way less 'fun' than you'd imagine and certainly less fun than LA. It seems to me older poeple in Boston like wine bars and some nice outings but not so much the outdoorsy lifestyle and arent as invested in remaining youthful or remaining even moderatley 'hip'

The city is much nicer, safer, cleaner than 30 years ago but perhaps only marginally more fun. Maybe not more fun at all. its a rat race I wouldn't imagine myself willingly walking into in my 50s unless I was going strictly to make big bazooga bucks

Old 10-01-2019, 01:41 PM

480 posts, read 526,729 times
As far as the indoor pool goes, there are lots of YMCAs in Boston and most (all?) have pools.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:47 PM

2,115 posts, read 2,571,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSongs View Post
Yeah.... that is one of my biggest concerns. I am an outdoorsy guy, as I mentioned above, and the long grey gloom of cold and rain might affect me more than others.
Winter in Southern New England isn't grey and gloomy. Nowhere near as gloomy as N Ohio or S Michigan where I grew up! Cleveland only averages 94 hours of sunshine from November through February. 67 hours in December! Detroit averages 112 hours (87 December). Boston averages 154 hours, with 142 hours of sunshine in December.

Boston does get more rain but less snow than Cleveland's lake effect - Detroit get a lot less snow than either.

Running in the winter is really nice. Sidewalks are cleared fairly quickly.
Biking in the winter is awful. Biking the rest of the year isn't great until you get outside 495 IMHO

Old 10-01-2019, 02:04 PM

9,053 posts, read 8,035,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Winter in Southern New England isn't grey and gloomy. Nowhere near as gloomy as N Ohio or S Michigan where I grew up! Cleveland only averages 94 hours of sunshine from November through February. 67 hours in December! Detroit averages 112 hours (87 December). Boston averages 154 hours, with 142 hours of sunshine in December.

Boston does get more rain but less snow than Cleveland's lake effect - Detroit get a lot less snow than either.

Running in the winter is really nice. Sidewalks are cleared fairly quickly.
Biking in the winter is awful. Biking the rest of the year isn't great until you get outside 495 IMHO
FWIW I notice very little difference in climate and weather between New England and Northeast Ohio. But Cleveland does have the benefit of being on the western edge of the eastern time zone, thus the 4:15 pm sunset situation is avoided. More snow in Cleveland, but I think it tends to snow storm less than in Boston. More of a consistent light rate vs no snow for a week, then one day where it drops 2 feet.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:44 AM

2,103 posts, read 5,484,494 times
I'd think living in a lower COL city makes more sense financially. Housing takes a huge chunk off the top anywhere in the vicinity that has the appeal of being in Bos. You can live comfortably being single at 125k salary but you wont save as much for retirement, vacation, etc. compared to living say in NC, Austin, or other university towns.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:06 AM

35,520 posts, read 25,891,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
As far as the indoor pool goes, there are lots of YMCAs in Boston and most (all?) have pools.
Northeastern and MIT pools seem to be the popular ones with the Masters groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or